Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2022, 07:37 AM   #1

Jacks Settling?

We are currently on our first long adventure in the GT5. We've been parked for a week and yesterday, we both seemed to have the idea that the coach is "wobblier" than it was earlier in the week.
I checked with a level and the left side is definitely slightly lower than it was on setup.
Is it common for the jacks to "settle" after a few days?
We are parked on asphalt, I have the big, hard rubber jackpads installed, and it has not been hot enough for the asphalt to soften and give.
Also, it's been fairly wet, but I have not noticed any hydraulic fluid on the ground.

We're at Indian Point Campground in Branson, MO for the annual Indian Rally on Indian Point. What a beautiful camp and great place to ride!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IRIP 2022.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	591.4 KB
ID:	273630  
Old 05-21-2022, 08:21 AM   #2

I haven't had that issue. Could be of no concern later on. The only thing I can think of that might allow that is perhaps the control valve manual override allen head screws are not fully seated counterclockwise. You can just start the engine and engage the levelers and select manual mode and press the applicable levelers to readjust to your level and then turn the system off and shut down the engine. Be aware that if the entrance door is closed the steps will retract but extend when the door is opened.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 08:42 AM   #3

Here's what the hydraulic valves look like and how to adjust. Another thought might be air in the system (system is self-bleeding) or even low fluid might cause the issue. The worse case scenario would be a leaking (internal bypass) jack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img20220521_08242301.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	285.9 KB
ID:	273642  
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 09:02 AM   #4

I have the same issue on mine and was meaning to throw out the same question at some point. I noticed it earlier this winter in Florida during our extended stay. About every 6-7 days I would need to auto-level again.
greggvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 07:11 PM   #5

Hum

Let’s guess

Concrete - no settling

Asphalt - in hot weather you bet

Florida sand - of course

That’s my experience with the above - your mileage may vary ��

And No I am not leaking anything.
Jimbo
Jc4ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 02:50 PM   #6
NXR

I think you'll find that most experienced Georgetown owners, including me, use Manual leveling exclusively.

Even after calibrating our 2020 GT5 jacks I did not like how Auto really jerks the coach around. It seems to "split the difference" on each adjustment and that results in the coach being higher than we like (less weight and less tire footprint on the ground). What I do now:

1. Turn on the panel and push Manual.

2. Using your level of choice (I use the LevelMatePRO system), see whether the front is the lowest or the rear is the lowest. I also use the Android app named Bubble Level by Gamma Play. I just set the phone on the kitchen counter between the sink and the stove top.

CAUTION: If the rear is lowest, that is a warning that the jacks may lift the rear coach tires off the ground, the tires where the parking brake is. Bad things will happen if you allow that, especially if there is any wind or rain. Closely evaluate whether repositioning the coach or driving each rear tire up on blocks is a better alternative. HINT: Yes, it is.  

3. Push and hold the button for whichever end is lowest. Raise that end up until the coach is now either level front-to-rear or that end is a touch higher. I make it a touch higher because the next step will raise the other end a bit.

4. Push and hold the button for the other end until you just feel the coach move.

5. Walk outside to assure all four jack feet are on the ground and no tires are close to coming off the ground, especially the rears where the parking brake is.

6. Now level left-to-right and re-check that no tires are close to coming off the ground.

7. Turn the leveling panel off.

In Auto mode, if the panel is properly calibrated, the green LCI light will be solid green when level. In Manual mode (on ours), if the panel is properly calibrated, the green LCI light will be flashing green when level.

I always double-check with the the Bubble Level app. I can feel if the coach is much more than 0.5 degrees off-level, so I try to keep it within a half-degree both front-rear and especially left-right. I'll usually try to keep the front a bit high so rain water runs off the rear instead of the front.

NOTE: The jacks always move in pairs to avoid twisting the frame. That's also why there is only a Retract All function; to avoid twisting the frame.

LITTLE KNOWN FACT: When you are in Manual mode, the Retract All button does NOT perform a full retract. It just retracts all four jacks while you have your finger on the button. You may be able to make a minor correction this way.

NOTE: Lifting the front too high will also make the bottom entry step a lot higher. Many of us carry a large stepstool for those situations.

NOTE: Remember that your holding tank dumps are on the driver side. If you are higher on the driver side than the passenger side, even a bit, you cannot fully drain the tanks so they may fill faster than expected. That's because the holding tanks are far longer than they are high.

NOTE: With the LevelMatePRO system, it seems that as long as 4" or less is needed before extending the jacks, I can use the jacks without needing any blocks. FWIW, I do have RV SnapPads installed on all of my jack feet to give them a bigger footprint and to protect the flimsy metal used for the jack feet from bending. The RV SnapPads do add 1" to the bottom, so they're sort of like having a 1" block under each jack all the time.

HTH,

Ray
Old 05-22-2022, 02:52 PM   #7
NXR

Since someone may bring up "Yes, it's perfectly safe for the jacks to completely lift the front tires off the ground":

While many people are comfortable with having a tire or tires off the ground, I am not because of that whole pesky "things break" problem. ��

I've worked on way too many hydraulic systems in one of my careers (aviation maintenance) to ever fully trust a hydraulic system, or any system, to never fail. As many redundancies as there are in a modern jet things still can and do break.

A few ways a failure can cause collateral damage:

- Jack collapses with a tire off the ground and the frame gets twisted as that corner collapses to the ground while the other three are still elevated.

- Jack collapses with a tire off the ground and the windshield pops out and/or cracks.

- Raising the front tires off the ground also raises the entry step a lot higher. Even if a stepstool is used the risk of a fall by a person increases.

Even people with brand new Georgetowns have posted about how they had a massive hydraulic leak due to an improperly-routed line.

I also worked a long time as a firefighter/paramedic. Our job began when people's decisions went bad or when things that "always worked" went and failed.

While I'm not comfortable with having a tire off the ground I know many people are. We're all influenced by our training and life experiences.

And NEVER have the rear wheels off the ground ever because that's where the parking brake is. And Park on the transmission.

FWIW.

Ray

Tags
jacks