Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2018, 10:07 AM   #1

Just Lovely, Crack in the roof.

Nice way to end a day yesterday, was repairing a water leak in the roof which turned out to be a poor factory install item. Evidently when the original roof was being installed at the front cap a piece of it cracked out so they cut it out in a small square about 1 x 1 inch then just caulked over it not leaving near enough caulk margins. Long story short I pulled the failed caulk off cleaned the leak area, covered it with EPDM tape and recaulked the area.

As I was starting to get off the roof I noticed a thin line like shadow extending out from the shower dome about 6 inches long. Yep, cracked. This morning it’s 95 out and no shade so I force my almost 80 year old body up there and did a repair. I cleaned the immediate area with detergent then trimmed back the edges of the crack, put a strain relief hole at the end of the crack, flooded the crack with epoxy until it was filled to the top of the crack, put a layer of EPDM tape over the crack and new 311 self leveling caulk over it. At this moment in time its water tight.

Our rig is a 2011 378 and the so-called fiberglass roof is plastic sheeting, thin and I’m afraid it’s starting to get brittle. Considering a new roof and what type. I was so proud of not having a rubber roof, now I’m not so sure. Seeing how the fiberglass plastic roof is aging I don’t think it’s the correct replacement as I would be just asking for more future trouble. Thinking of a new EPDM rubber or the new EPDM liquid rubber system. Anyone have any experience with replacing with something like that? Just thinking.

Sorta wish we had our old Gulf Stream back, it had an aluminum roof that you could have a square dance on, after 10 years it looked new.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0331.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	332.1 KB
ID:	184709Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0330.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	411.2 KB
ID:	184710
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:37 AM   #2

Dam Jim 95 degrees in Massachusetts?
You are home correct or someplace else?

Anyway I like the ole school stress relief hole at the end of the crack.
I personally would have put a patch of EternaBond tape on it then the sealer on top.

Anyway you caught if before winter and the rain.

https://youtu.be/GlY-qgv95BY
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:00 AM   #3

I've heard of putting Rhino liner they actually do RV roofs and they claim it will last a lifetime and they are cheaper than a rubber roof.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Dam Jim 95 degrees in Massachusetts?
You are home correct or someplace else?

Anyway I like the ole school stress relief hole at the end of the crack.
I personally would have put a patch of EternaBond tape on it then the sealer on top.

Anyway you caught if before winter and the rain.

https://youtu.be/GlY-qgv95BY
Yep, in central mass, high of 97 today. Brutal. As for the tape, I used th esterbond epdm tape and then 311 caulk over it.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
I've heard of putting Rhino liner they actually do RV roofs and they claim it will last a lifetime and they are cheaper than a rubber roof.
Rhino liner, really. I had a rhino liner bed in my truck, didn’t know they did an rv roof. It would be heavy as the dickens, it added almost 300 lbs to my truck.
Thanks for the response and idea.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Rhino liner, really. I had a rhino liner bed in my truck, didn’t know they did an rv roof. It would be heavy as the dickens, it added almost 300 lbs to my truck.
Thanks for the response and idea.
Don't think it's the same compound and I think the existing roof material is removed (won't stick to plastic) to get down to the plywood sheeting. I think all the roof imperfections are filled in prior to spraying.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:41 PM   #7

First, ditto on eternabond. I will never use dicor again.

I finally redid the entire roof on my 39’ motorhome. I had RVRoof.com do it at their facility in green cove springs, fl, 3 years ago. The stuff they use is incredible. Thick and almost impossible to even cut, much less tear. This is no thin spray on coating. I am super pleased. The only maintenance is to have it painted occasionally to reduce sun exposure every 10-15 years. They were easy to work with. I have rhino lining on my truck and that is super thin compared to this stuff. Not cheap, but worth every penny to me. Just make sure you have already done everything you want to add on your roof before you go. I also had them replace my fans and skylight at the same time. Everything on your roof comes off, they coat and paint, then reinstall.

Charlie

2005 Coachmen Sportscoach Encore 380DS
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
CharlieS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:53 PM   #8

Roof

Have you looked at RV Armour.com, they waterproof fiberglass as well as EPDM.
I Don’t know personally if they are any good or not but they get good reviews.

https://rv-armor.com/index.html?gcli...oCV-kQAvD_BwE#

Good luck
Old 08-28-2018, 05:07 PM   #9

There is a place in Plainville MA. New England RV Roof. They remove the old and spray on a new one using flex armor. They appear to do great work and are reasonably priced for what they are doing.
LBSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsarg View Post
Have you looked at RV Armour.com, they waterproof fiberglass as well as EPDM.

I Don’t know personally if they are any good or not but they get good reviews.

https://rv-armor.com/index.html?gcli...oCV-kQAvD_BwE#

Good luck

Just did mine. After many roof leaks I just did not trust the thin fiberglass.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBSmith View Post
There is a place in Plainville MA. New England RV Roof. They remove the old and spray on a new one using flex armor. They appear to do great work and are reasonably priced for what they are doing.

Thanks, I’ll check them out. After reading the BBB complaints on RV Armor I’m a bit concerned using them, plus a few things they do that I don’t agree with.

Appreciate it.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:30 PM   #12

I've mentioned this before but I use 3M5200 on all my below water line intrusions on my boat. Meaning all the holes I drill for accessories under the water line so I've been using this stuff on the roof of my trailer for any small cracks, cuts, etc. This stuff is considered permanent so use with caution.

I do use the other normal RV stuff for places where I would have to remove or update later.
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:10 PM   #13

They are spraying houses with rhino liner now. Supposed to last forever. Comes in a bunch of colors.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:24 PM   #14

Good luck Chief, hope something works for you, safe travels
Old 08-29-2018, 09:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieS3 View Post
First, ditto on eternabond. I will never use dicor again.

I finally redid the entire roof on my 39’ motorhome. I had RVRoof.com do it at their facility in green cove springs, fl, 3 years ago. The stuff they use is incredible. Thick and almost impossible to even cut, much less tear. This is no thin spray on coating. I am super pleased. The only maintenance is to have it painted occasionally to reduce sun exposure every 10-15 years. They were easy to work with. I have rhino lining on my truck and that is super thin compared to this stuff. Not cheap, but worth every penny to me. Just make sure you have already done everything you want to add on your roof before you go. I also had them replace my fans and skylight at the same time. Everything on your roof comes off, they coat and paint, then reinstall.

Charlie

I checked these folks out and they are for real. They have a facility in Plainville MA. After looking at other folks, the ones that do it in your driveway, I had serious concerns, they do not remove the AC’s and paint around them. That’s crap they know it and I know it.

Checked out the website of RVRoof and they have a lot of good videos showing their work. Talked to them and they sound really good. Making an appointment to have the work done, they charge $175.00 per foot. Our 378 has 35 ft of roof, then taxes. Expensive, yes, worth it, I hope so because they will be doing it. Takes about 3 days at their indoor facility.

Like all Motorhomes, just add money and stir.
Travel on friends and be safe.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:25 PM   #16

Rv Armor did mine this summer. So far so good. Everything seems to be well sealed and they give you some extra material, if you need to patch something before they can get to you. Lifetime guaranty. I know others with much more expensive MH's than mine who have it and are happy. Looks like only two bbb complaints. To me that is not even worth considering.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:06 PM   #17

Just Lovely, Crack in the roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Rv Armor did mine this summer. So far so good. Everything seems to be well sealed and they give you some extra material, if you need to patch something before they can get to you. Lifetime guaranty. I know others with much more expensive MH's than mine who have it and are happy. Looks like only two bbb complaints. To me that is not even worth considering.

I looked at them, RV Armor, and decided to go another way. I hope you have good service on the roof. Thanks for your comments.

Good Luck and Safe Travels.

Tags
crack, roo, roof