Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2015, 09:15 PM   #1

Kwikee Steps Install

My replacement steps are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow from Lippert (my dealer will replace at no charge but I'm going to have a lengthy wait). Has anyone done the replacement of their OEM Lippert steps with the Kwikee steps on their own? I understand the door magnet requires replacement to extend and retract the steps at the appropriate time, but what about the main wiring harness? Any other 'pro tips' you could share?

Thanks!
chill960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:05 AM   #2

I believe the wire harness is a plug and play. The new steps come with the new door switch. These triple steps are very heavy so plan accordingly. By myself I used a car jack and stands to facilitate replacing. The supplied installation manual is straight forward, complete and easy to follow.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:38 AM   #3

To remove and remount the Kwikee steps is 4 or maybe 6 nuts/bolts from the underside.
You can only get to the bolts when the steps are out.
It is heavy so have something to hold it up.
The main wiring harness is plug and play.
The magnetic contact need to be replaced with the one that comes with it.

That's it.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:18 PM   #4

The new switch is quite small and will have to be spliced to existing door switch wires. As an alternative, on line one can find the identical size door switch (may be black) as is already installed but with normally open contacts and then the existing wires can be disconnected from the existing switch and screwed to the new one with the install being the same as is. Not sure if the existing door magnet needs to be swapped out with the newly supplied one but wouldn't with switch on line. Just a thought.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:26 AM   #5

Can anyone confirm whether the Kwikee Steps utilize a normally open or closed magnetic switch?
Old 10-17-2015, 12:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill960 View Post
Can anyone confirm whether the Kwikee Steps utilize a normally open or closed magnetic switch?
All I know it is opposite from the old OEM steps.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Yes. Kwikee = normally open (door open/switch open) switch.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:16 PM   #8

I just replaced my 3 weeks ago. The biggest problem I had was the wiring harness was not long enough to plug in so I had to cut and splice in the old harness to make the plug long enough.
The switch is different, normally open for the Kwikee and normally closed for the Lippert
Unfortunately the switch that was ship with the new Kwikee steps got lost because of a torn box. I went on Amazon and bought a magnetic window switch for 7 bucks that was both a normally open and normally closed. I connected it up normally open. Works fine
Like others said steps are very heavy and need to be extended before you are able to bolt it on the MH.
Took me about an hour to bolt on plus another 30 minutes to splice the wires.
Can be done by an individual, just be sure to use 2 washer on top and bottom of the bolt for added strength.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:48 PM   #9

Lippert sent you the steps? They said I had to take mine to a dealership and the closet one is 2 hours away plus we full time in ours and can't leave it and wait on the dealer to get around to fixing it. Let me know the secret to get them to send the steps so I can replace mine

Bevkevrv
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Bevkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:37 PM   #10

Kwikee Steps Install

Mine were still under warranty .
I had to take several pictures where they broke and email them.
I then had to buy them from an authorized dealer and they reimbursed me the cost.
Crazy isn't it
Camping world sells the for 550.00 but I could have waited for lippert to ship them but that would have taken 3 weeks.
Hope this help.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:32 PM   #11

For those of you who have had broken steps, please file a complaint on the NHTSA website. Expressing your concern could help a fellow rver from getting hurt.
nicholsonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:38 AM   #12

Wrapper an thank you for the information. Mine are still under warranty also. I have sent the pictures, model number, serial number, place were broke, etc. they still said to take to a dealer. They even sent me the paperwork for the dealer to fill out with claim number. I think I will see about buying them and then getting reimbursed. It is a much simpler way to do it and coach won't sit at the dealers forever.

Bevkevrv
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Bevkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:23 PM   #13

with a floor jack the swap out is relatively easy. As everyone else stated wiring harness' are the same so you just plug the old into the new steps. New opposite magnet has double faced tape to attach. Hardest part was drilling out the pop rivets for the old magnet. The OEM magnet wiring is long so you have a lot to play with.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:59 PM   #14

I talked to the warranty dept. at Lippert.
I too was worried it would take at least 3 weeks to have them replaced at the dealer.
Lippert worked with me after I told them they were still under warranty.
If I wanted lippert to ship them to me they said I would still have to buy them from lippert and after I installed them they would reimburse me after I mailed them their invoice. Crazy isn't It.
It still was going to take 3 weeks for lippert to ship because they don't stock them.
I ended up buying them from a place in Wisconsin and received them in 3 days.
If you want to know what RV store I bought them from PM me. They are not cheap but still I got reimbursed.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
The switch is different, normally open for the Kwikee and normally closed for the Lippert
Unfortunately the switch that was ship with the new Kwikee steps got lost because of a torn box. I went on Amazon and bought a magnetic window switch for 7 bucks that was both a normally open and normally closed. I connected it up normally open. Works fine
I managed to get mine installed today. Once I rigged up a bit of 2x4 support to the bottom step, I levered the top mount into place and wedged it with another 2x4.

The new door switch is quite different than the old one, so I too will be purchasing one off Amazon and use the existing wiring, but I've temporarily attached the new switch.

There appears to be one minor difference with the door operation. Now with the "Entrance Step" rocker switch in the on (and lit) position, the steps remain open, even when the door is closed. I'm pretty sure the old Lippert ones would extend and retract with door opening with the "Entrance Step" rocker switch in the on position.

Can anyone confirm this is normal for the Kwikee steps? The ignition switch to "ON" retracts the steps and other than the position of the "Entrance Step" switch, everything is working perfectly.

Great steps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6763.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	363.4 KB
ID:	92729  
Old 10-24-2015, 04:30 PM   #16

Kwikee Steps Install

With mine it has always been the steps stay out when the switch position is in the "on" position.
With it in the "off" position the steps extend and retract when the door opens and closes.
Before and after new steps.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:35 PM   #17

Quote:
I managed to get mine installed today. Once I rigged up a bit of 2x4 support to the bottom step, I levered the top mount into place and wedged it with another 2x4.

The new door switch is quite different than the old one, so I too will be purchasing one off Amazon and use the existing wiring, but I've temporarily attached the new switch.

There appears to be one minor difference with the door operation. Now with the "Entrance Step" rocker switch in the on (and lit) position, the steps remain open, even when the door is closed. I'm pretty sure the old Lippert ones would extend and retract with door opening with the "Entrance Step" rocker switch in the on position.

Can anyone confirm this is normal for the Kwikee steps? The ignition switch to "ON" retracts the steps and other than the position of the "Entrance Step" switch, everything is working perfectly.

Great steps!
You are correct with the Lippert steps for the power switch and it also was the way Kwikee operated for a long time. Kwikee has made a change to their control unit that now requires a 12 volt input from the power switch (switch "ON") to keep the steps in the Lock (out) position. Their online site denotes this new requirement in the readable documentation and references the change to the old #888 Owners Manual that is still being supplied with some steps (which is probably what you have), me to.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:03 PM   #18

Quote:

Great steps!
That is how mine works (after lippert replaced with kwikee).
nicholsonv is offline   Reply With Quote