Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
Kanadian Kamper

Laptop computer desk position

At a recent RV Supershow, we saw a lot of Class A Motorhomes by various manufacturers that had a hidden, sliding computer tabletop mounted in the dash in front of the co-pilot position. I think pretty much all the models were based on the Ford chassis, but it probably doesn't matter.

Some had a top piece that opens up, then a tabletop slides on a mechanism towards the person sitting in the co-pilot seat. Others just had a flush mount section that slides towards the person. Both designs seem to use the same type of roller arm design that we all have with the drawers in the kitchen and bedrooms.

Anyone know where I could get some variations of this roller arm mechanism to try to create one in our MH model?

Thanks

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:14 PM   #2

Are you talking about drawer slides?
carbonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:07 AM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Ours fits flush with the dash. It lifts up and out with a scissor type arm assembly. I doubt our type could be an after market add-on because the way the dash is indented for the table to fit flush in a closed position. I'm not sure if there's a way to mount anything to the underside of the dash either. Our set up is like the one shown on page 7 of the 2006 brochure.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...res-10709.html

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Yup Charlie.......your model, like in the 2006 brochure, is like what I'm trying to duplicate. I may just have to fabricate some form of a hard surface on drawer slides.....the height of the dash is right. Mine may not end up being as pretty as factory installed, but with all the connections positioned at the co-pilot seat (electrical, phone connection, etc) it makes sense to set something up for our office scenario. There is access to plywood on the underside of the dash in this area for mounting. Placing the laptop on the dash is just a little too far out of reach for comfort.

We'll see..........

Ken and Terry
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
Old 01-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #5

I ave also been having a look for a desk that will fit into the front dash on the passenger side but am very reluctant to start screwing a frame into the dash top, more from the re-sale point of view than anything else. I "googled" overbed tables and found some in the U.K. that sit on a metal frame, is height adjustable and the top is angle adjustable price is £59, about 40 dollars, I would think that these should be available in the U.S.A. and as it is free standing, no damage.

John
The Limeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

Laptop computer desk position project completed!!!

Sorry for the delay, but here's a direct link to some pics of the completed project for those that may be interested.

Laptop computer desk position - iRV2 Forums

Thanks to all that replied.

Ken and Terry
Old 01-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Sorry for the delay, but here's a direct link to some pics of the completed project for those that may be interested.

Laptop computer desk position - iRV2 Forums

Thanks to all that replied.
Nice looking job Ken!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #8

Ken how did the track mount to the dash, I am considering same. Had a 1998 Southwind and the slide out tray was great for the bride to use laptop for directions.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #9
Kanadian Kamper

You have to be fairly agile to get on your back and look up on the underside of the dash, but there is a fair amount of room to access the underside of the plywood construction for the dashboard.

From overtop, I positioned the assembly in between the two fresh air vents, and as close to the passenger seat as possible in the closed position along the track of the sliding guide rails. Then I slid the tabletop towards the seat, marked the positions where I could secure and drill, and secured the tracks using 1 1/2" bolts with oversized wahers to brace against the plywood. It is NOT strong enough to apply any pressure on when it is extended towards the use, but I doubt the factory versions are either.

Ken and Terry