Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2021, 06:44 PM   #1
Jvz

LCI Jacks Circuit Breaker Tripping

Have a 2021 Georgetown 31L5 with LCI stabilizer jacks. Lately, the jacks circuit breaker has been tripping after the jacks have retracted. Will then reset the circuit breaker. Does not trip when jacks are lowered. Batteries are testing at 13.24 volts. Have done a load test on the batteries and they are good. Have replaced the 100amp circuit breaker. Have retracted the jacks with and without shore power.

Anybody with ideas?

Joe
Jvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:57 AM   #2

It sounds like one of the jacks is exceeding it up limit and blowing the circuit breaker. You might try (fi you can) doing an amp check on the jacks as they are coming up to see if thats the cause. Let the forum know what you find.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:18 AM   #3
NXR

Call Lippert's support number: https://support.lci1.com/contact

Seriously, they have excellent phone support. When I had a jack problem I got routed to a person who actually worked on the system. They seem to staff their support lines with real techs, not script-reading off-shore call centers. That fellow knew exactly what to check. Other people have said they had the same experience.

Ray
Old 08-02-2021, 11:55 AM   #4

Have you tried retracting with engine running?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 02:52 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Would be interesting to see if the problem goes away by having the engine running? I was told many years ago to have the engine running. Please update?
Cdefrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:09 PM   #6

I'd also note that no battery reads 13.24 unless you are plugged in or charging with the engine running or have left a surface charge and been measured improperly. I don't think this is the problem but OP should be aware of the possibility. I cannot operate my G'town 2015 Lipperts without the engine on and the parking brake on. Don't know if that is the case with current models. If the breaker keeps popping suggest tracing the wiring harness controls from dasboard to pump manifold Clean up anything obviously loose or broken or rusted AND feel for HOT wires after opeartion. You might need someone to install a new harness.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:50 PM   #7
Jvz

Have had the engine and parking brake on in all situations. Yes the 13.24 was with the engine running. Been on the phone with Lippert several times today. Thought it as the batteries, however had them load tested today at O’Reily’s. Tested good. The lippert tech was going to check with his manager and call me tomorrow.

Joe
Old 08-02-2021, 05:32 PM   #8

Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
It sounds like one of the jacks is exceeding it up limit and blowing the circuit breaker. You might try (fi you can) doing an amp check on the jacks as they are coming up to see if that's the cause. Let the forum know what you find.
Yes, this seems plausible. The two links below are dead right now, but they are the links for LCI stabilizer limit switches. When each stabilizer reaches the end of travel, they should cut off its motor.

Do a little inspection. See if you can identify the switch on each jack. Are all the wires connected on each one? Is the mounting of one bent so it doesn't switch? This is pretty simple. You can probably figure out the cause yourself.

https://store.lci1.com/power-stabili...ck-387874.html
https://store.lci1.com/power-stabili...te-144214.html

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 05:53 PM   #9
NXR

The Georgetown uses four 8,000 lb. Lippert LevelUp hydraulic jacks, not electric. The 100-amp breaker the OP mentioned resetting and replacing is for the hydraulic pump.

I know the "Jacks Down" light illuminates when the pressure switch on the hydraulic manifold, the retract side, drops below 2,150 PSI (or 1,500 PSI depending on which PDF I look at).

I do not know what causes the pump to shut off, though. The PDFs I have do not have that level of detail. That's why I suggested calling Lippert.

Ray
Old 08-03-2021, 03:08 PM   #10
Jvz

Additional information - the motor keeps running even after the jacks reach the top. At that point, the breaker is tripped. Lippert has suggested that I have a pressure test on the pump. Have found a heavy truck repair shop that will do it next Tuesday. As you would know this happens when you are 2300 miles from home, one month into a four month trip and in a small town. Guess we will be on trip plan c.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:27 PM   #11

Evidently you are pressing retract all. What happens if you use manual retraction? What lights are illuminated on the control panel after retraction?
Old 08-03-2021, 03:38 PM   #12
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Evidently you are pressing retract all. What happens if you use manual retraction?
Good suggestion. When MANUAL is selected, you need to hold the RETRACT ALL down for retraction to occur. He could release the RETRACT ALL button manually.

For the OP, does the Jacks Down light go off but the pump keeps running? Or does the Jacks Down light stay illuminated?

If the Jacks Down light stays on you'll likely still have a problem.

Why?

When the parking brake is released and the Jacks Down light is illuminated the pump automatically starts up to retract the jacks. That's so you do not inadvertently drive off with the jacks down.

Additionally, if you're driving and the Jacks Down light illuminates, the pump automatically starts again so a jack does not drop and hit the road, and an alarm will sound from the control panel to alert you.

Did the Lippert tech have you check that the four Allen screws on the control solenoids are tight? You loosen those to manually retract the jacks in the event of a failure. If one or more is loose that can cause the system to lose pressure. I don't remember which way they're supposed to be but I vaguely recall it was opposite of what I expected. In any event, you could make sure they're all snugged up in the same direction.

Ray
Old 08-03-2021, 04:05 PM   #13

The valve allen head screws are snugged in the counter clockwise direction for normal operation.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:21 PM   #14
Jvz

Light stays on after pump stops. One of the head screws was slightly loose. Tighten it. Tried the manual retraction. CB still tripped. I very much appreciate all ideas and thoughts.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:36 PM   #15
NXR

Thanks for hanging in there with us. So essentially nothing you do turns the light off?

If you retract the jacks, the jacks go up, the pump bogs down, and the breaker pops. Is that correct?

If so, and you reset the breaker, does the pump start up again?

If not, and the parking brake is then released, does the pump start up again? I would expect it to. It would be safest to test that with your foot firmly on the brake pedal, of course.

If you disconnect the pressure switch on the manifold, does that turn the light on or off?

I assume the pressure switch is just two wires. Do you have a way to get an ohmmeter on it to see if it's working?

Or, if the jacks are up and the breaker just popped, have you tried thumping the pressure switch with a screwdriver handle? Just enough to shock it in case it's stuck internally?

Ray
Old 08-03-2021, 06:37 PM   #16
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvz View Post
Light stays on after pump stops. One of the head screws was slightly loose. Tighten it. Tried the manual retraction. CB still tripped. I very much appreciate all ideas and thoughts.
Did you release RETRACT ALL once you heard the pump bog down?
Old 08-03-2021, 06:51 PM   #17
Jvz

Released the button when the Jacks Down light went off.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:03 PM   #18
Jvz

When jacks are retracted, they go all of the way up and stop, but the motor continues. That is when the cb trips. I then reset the cb and I can lower the jacks with no problem.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:17 PM   #19
NXR

My jacks go up, I hear the pump bog down, and a few seconds later, maybe three to five, the pump shuts off.

How long after the pump bogs down does the breaker pop?

I'm outside watching while my wife does the retract so I'm positive of what's going on.

Ray
Old 08-03-2021, 07:19 PM   #20
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvz View Post
Released the button when the Jacks Down light went off.
Did it go off because the breaker popped maybe?

Did you try releasing the button when the pump bogged down?

Ray

Tags
breaker, jacks