Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
Enjoying LIFE

Leak in basement storage area

I have a 2008 Georgetown 373 and two compartments leak when it rains. I have tried to adjust the latch. I thought that if I could make the door tighter it would stop the leak but so far this has not worked.
Does anyone have an idea?
2012 Ford Escape
Gene Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I had one compartment that got some water in when it rained. I took a battery lantern, turned it on after dark and placed it in the compartment. I opened the compartment door before it and after it to look for the light shining out. Found out after looking all around it, the water was getting in on the hinge side. Adjusted that slightly, which also meant I had to adjust the catch on the prior door so it looked smooth. At least I knew exactly where the leak was. Good luck!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
Enjoying LIFE

Thank yo again for your answer! I GIVE UP -- I tried the light in the basement and that did not work. I tried everything I know to do and I still have leaks. It looks a trip to my local Camping World repair center is next.
2012 Ford Escape
Gene Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #4

Another leak test method..

Can't say if this will work in your case, but another method or finding the leak involves chalk dust.

Liberally dust the gasket around your leaking compartment with chalk dust or baby powder. (Chalk dust has the advantage of being available in colors, so may be easily seen). Close the door and spray the exterior of the compartment. Wipe off any excess water before you open the door so that surface water doesn't affect your results. When you open the door you should be able to see where water has had its access.

Hope this helps.
Jim Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Ross View Post
Thank yo again for your answer! I GIVE UP -- I tried the light in the basement and that did not work. I tried everything I know to do and I still have leaks. It looks a trip to my local Camping World repair center is next.
Hi Gene, I too have a '08 373. I found that where the door plunger attaches to the coach, FR in their wisdom simply cut the rubber to allow for the bracket and screws.
They ran a bead of silicone around the cut. On mine this is where the water entered as the silicone had let go. I do like the chalk dust idea though, haven't heard of that.
good luck.
you might try putting the DW inside the bin with a flashlight so she can watch where the water enters. LOL.
wasaga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, storage