Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2016, 11:43 PM   #1
Retired Ford Tech

Leaky Hydraulic Hose

I was under my 2008 GT 350ts, and I noticed the Hydraulic hose that extends the slide was leaking, not gushing but a drip. I discovered it was rubbing where it went through the frame.
I retracted the slide very, very little and it took the pressure off the hose.
My question is that since it only moves the slide in and out, can I use a repair kit for the damaged section or replace the entire hose, which looks like a pain? The slide is the right rear.
rvpezzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 03:56 AM   #2

Repair Kit for hydraulic hose is going to require a Tool of some sort to crimp the fittings! The other issue is correct Size fitting for the Hose that FR used that day? Replace the entire hose with a "Quality Hydraulic Hose" with proper ends crimped on! Youroo! !
Old 12-24-2016, 06:07 AM   #3

Call the local John Deere, CAT, or other heavy equipment dealer. If they do not make up custom hoses in house they'll be able to point you to someone that does. Take them the old one and they should be able to make you an exact match. Then you'll have the "quality hose" mentioned by youroo and not a piece of cheap Lippert garbage.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:55 AM   #4

Also, sleeve the hose where it's rubbing.
rat4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:59 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Call the local John Deere, CAT, or other heavy equipment dealer. If they do not make up custom hoses in house they'll be able to point you to someone that does. Take them the old one and they should be able to make you an exact match. Then you'll have the "quality hose" mentioned by youroo and not a piece of cheap Lippert garbage.
Yep, lots of places make hydraulic hoses. You don't need to get it from the factory or a dealer. Don't try to splice.
Several auto parts houses and repair facilities make hoses too as well as the ones Havercamp mentioned.
Replacing is a pretty easy job. You will need to top off the reservoir once replaced.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:43 AM   #6

We had a failure of one the hoses where it passed through an opening in the frame. Our problem was that it happened on a Sunday afternoon outside of Carlsbad New Mexico. We were able to "camp" on the street outside the only RV dealer we found in this relatively small town.

Come Monday morning, we were met by the most wonderful/helpful people working at this dealership. They guided us to a local hydraulic shop (who'd of thunk a town this small would have their own hydraulic shop - guess we were lucky to be in oil field country), where they professionally spliced the hose (they didn't carry the proper end fittings as Lippert uses a rather uncommon type).

The removal and replacement was messy but not difficult. I secured the hose and used some window trim to protect it from sharp edges.

What kind of demented combination of designer/assembler decides to route unprotected high pressure hoses through an unprotected hole in the metal frame of a vehicle where said hose can bounce around and cut on the edges of the frame?
Old 12-24-2016, 05:00 PM   #7

I have been try to get a hydraulic tank for my 2006 dealer tried forest river, lippert and every other place no one has a replacement tank. Forest river changed designs after only two years. It's a 4 quart tank. It's been two months now dealer has sent it out to be welded. Repair shop does plastic welding hope it works.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
msm1827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm1827 View Post
I have been try to get a hydraulic tank for my 2006 dealer tried forest river, lippert and every other place no one has a replacement tank. Forest river changed designs after only two years. It's a 4 quart tank. It's been two months now dealer has sent it out to be welded. Repair shop does plastic welding hope it works.

Do you have a picture of it?
Old 12-24-2016, 09:36 PM   #9

If you choose to try and repair...you will need ID and OD and type of hose. You could buy reusable type fittings m/f to splice the hose. I wold plan to replace as you have time. Repaired is repaired any way you count it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm1827 View Post

Did you ever get a part number for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic, leak