Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2012, 10:24 PM   #1

Leaving CG!

A neighbor this morning left this site and forgot one important item. Yes it was his 50 amp cord in pedestal. I didn't see it, but heard it, 40' bus vs 1" cord no contest!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4070281702.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	19827
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #2

Did they rip the cord out of the bus too? That will be the expensive part to fix...
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:40 AM   #3

Sometimes peoples is stoopid!
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:05 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Check list check list check list

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:22 AM   #5

We have both inside and out side checklists And...We always do a last minute walk-around.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:01 AM   #6

"Honey, I thought you unplugged it!"
Last step on departure check list - stand back a few feet and walk around, focusing on the trailer (not the up coming trip!) - The more you rush, the longer things will take.
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #7

That's why I do atleast 2 walk arounds before pulling from a site.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:29 AM   #8
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimchaSabre View Post
We have both inside and out side checklists And...We always do a last minute walk-around.
Right on with the "last minute walk-around" plus the inside and outside c/l practice.

I may get flamed for saying this - but this is simply stupidily at its highest level.

On almost all CG pedestrals all of your hookups (water, sewage,electrical) are all in the same spot - so how can you disconnect your water hose and sewage hose (which I an guessing he/she did because there is no mention of either of them not being disconnected) and leave your power cord connected?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #9
CampingQueen

Ditto.. 2 walk arounds and one standing on the picnic table or climbing up the ladder to make sure we got all the hatches and antenna, etc down.

I've seen people drive away from the fuel station with the gas nozzle still in their car, and once saw someone driving down the road with their baby in a car seat on top of the car (thankfully that ended OK... they were probably thinking to themselves, 'Who are all those people blowing their horns at??')

So, in the grand scheme of things, I'm frankly surprised it doesn't happen more often
2011: 17 nights 2012: 26 nights 2013: 46 2014: 20 2015: 16
arlee453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Right on with the "last minute walk-around" plus the inside and outside c/l practice.

I may get flamed for saying this - but this is simply stupidily at its highest level.

On almost all CG pedestrals all of your hookups (water, sewage,electrical) are all in the same spot - so how can you disconnect your water hose and sewage hose (which I an guessing he/she did because there is no mention of either of them not being disconnected) and leave your power cord connected?
Not flamed, but I disagree that it's stupidity. In all we do, there are the chance for accidents. Unfortunately, the longer we do them the more complacent we become with checklists and attention to detail and whatnot - the more likely we are to slip up. Checklists only help if you follow them.

That said, with my break-down routine, this could realistically happen. I generally disconnect sewer first while my wife is inside finalizing the packup. When I'm done with sewer, I move onto the hose (because we almost always travel with water in the fresh water tank - I'll just switch to the pump). Sometimes I finish those activities before her, so I go inside to help or start getting the truck in position for hitching up or (insert item here). All of the while the electric generally stays on so the air conditioner can run until we're done inside. Sometimes it's right away, sometimes it's a bit later.

Different routines for different people.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:52 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

I would be interested to know if this was a pre-dawn departure.

I see a lot of this with folks who plan LONG days of driving and try to sneak out in the "O" Dark Thirty. Not at your best and coffee in the Thermos is not the same as coffee in the belly.

Sun comes up and I am amazed at stuff that gets left at the camp site.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Not flamed, but I disagree that it's stupidity. In all we do, there are the chance for accidents. Unfortunately, the longer we do them the more complacent we become with checklists and attention to detail and whatnot - the more likely we are to slip up. Checklists only help if you follow them.

That said, with my break-down routine, this could realistically happen. I generally disconnect sewer first while my wife is inside finalizing the packup. When I'm done with sewer, I move onto the hose (because we almost always travel with water in the fresh water tank - I'll just switch to the pump). Sometimes I finish those activities before her, so I go inside to help or start getting the truck in position for hitching up or (insert item here). All of the while the electric generally stays on so the air conditioner can run until we're done inside. Sometimes it's right away, sometimes it's a bit later.

Different routines for different people.
I agree, accidents can happen to anyone. I would guess something happened that changed this guys normal routine. The last time I went camping I was distracted during the hookup procedure. While taking care of the distraction the wife decided to complete the tasks I usually complete. I did a quick lookover before departing, but after pulling out of the site one of the other campers was hollering for me to stop. I got out and went back and the umbilical cord was dragging the ground. Come to find out the wife didn't realize that there is a locking tab on the cord that the hooks on the connector and didn't engage the tab on the connector. Not as severe as leaving your cord hooked up, but a mistake anyway. One second of being distracted is all it takes.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:03 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

After I hitch up and everyone is in the truck and buckled, I get back out of the truck and do one last walk around by myself. Things don't get left behind or left undone this way, and no one can say "I thought you were doing that".
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:09 AM   #14

I do a walk around before departing the site. I take 100% responsibility for this task 100% of the time. After I pull out of the site, I go back and look for anything left behind, ensure that I didn't leave any garbage or dog poop from when she sneeked under the camper, unbeknownst to us. Most times, the campsite is cleaner than when I arrived.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri View Post
While taking care of the distraction the wife decided to complete the tasks I usually complete. I did a quick lookover before departing, but after pulling out of the site one of the other campers was hollering for me to stop. I got out and went back and the umbilical cord was dragging the ground. Come to find out the wife didn't realize that there is a locking tab on the cord that the hooks on the connector and didn't engage the tab on the connector.
Something similar has happened to me before. The DW now knows that I appreciate any offer for help, but I'll ask her for help if I need it. If I get out of my routine, I can and have forgotten something.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #16

I have done the walk around and missed the fold away handle was still out. While leaving the CG we had to go around a corner with a hydro pole. The handle hit the pole. The pole did not give the handle did not give put I ended up putting a 4 inch hole in the side of the TT, accidents happen.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #17

I NEVER unhook ANYTHING till the DW says she's TOTALLY done on the inside and then I go in and do a double look to make sure. Then the water/elec/sew etc get disconnected, then I hook up, dow a walk around, the turn on lights and do the 2nd walk around.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #18

DW does inside, I do the outside. The last thing I do is unplug the electric so the slides move with max power and the AC can run. But, then a full walk around, where I check that the storage compartments are locked. And finally, checklist for the coach and checklist for the toad. My son flies a plane that costs less than some of these big coaches and he won't move it without a preflight and a checklist.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #19
phat phrog stunt crew

I disagree that it's stupidity

i have to disagree with your disagreement. last summer we were leaving the house, all hooked up ready to go, followed the checklist.. yep. looks good. pulled away from the house and didnt notice power cord dragging until i made my turn out of the driveway. luckinly, the power cord storage area was on the back of the camper and the outlet was facing the trailer so no harm there.

i had to walk over it twice. once to do my walk around and the second time to close the garage after making sure all the lights were out in the house. complacent? maybe, but walking over it twice should have triggered some type of mental alarm.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #20

If your camp site has a table, make sure you move it back far enough from your camper when you leave so you don't catch it on the turn like I did.

2012 Crusader 290RLT
2010 Ford F-250 King Cab Diesel
Harley Davidson Edition
jriddering is offline   Reply With Quote