Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2023, 04:45 AM   #1

Leaving inverter on when on shore power

I recently had a situation come up that i would like to get the group’s input on. Our 21.5 36D7 is our rv lot in north central Alabama while we are back home in Ohio for the winter. We leave the coach plugged into the power pedestal to keep the fridge going and the batteries topped off.

There were major storms in the southeast last week which lead to a loss of power to the site last Friday. After 20+ hours with no sign of the power being restored, we had a relative go to the coach and tirn the inverter on. About 2 hours after she left, the power was restored. She could not get back to the site until yesterday when she was able to turn off the inverter.

Two questions for the group:

1) Is there any possibility of damage to the inverter or batteries when leaving the inverter on while shore power is applied? I don’t think so in looking at the manual for the Magnum inverter, but want to get your thoughts.

2) If there is no possibility of damage, should i leave the inverter on just in case of future power outages?

On a side note: The LG fridge in our coach did not have any significant warming for the over 24 hours the power was out based on the old “penny on bowl of ice” test.

Thanks as always for your help!
_nelsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 08:35 AM   #2

We often leave ours on while camping for a week with power coming in from the pedestal. More of an insurance, in case power goes out. We have a solar panel on our roof to recharge the batteries.
Now, we have a transfer switch on our system meaning that if it senses power from the pedestal, it uses it to supply 120volts and doesn't use the batteries' power through the inverter. If no power at the pedestal, then it relies on the inverter.
If you don't have that going and you have a very lengthy power outage at some point and your inverter kicks into play, you run the risk of drawing your batteries below safe levels unless you have a way to recharge them (aka.. solar).
So, you only need to wonder if you have the transfer switch. If you do, I believe you're good to go if you have a recharge method for the batteries.. in case.
montelovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 08:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by montelovers View Post
We often leave ours on while camping for a week with power coming in from the pedestal. More of an insurance, in case power goes out. We have a solar panel on our roof to recharge the batteries.

Now, we have a transfer switch on our system meaning that if it senses power from the pedestal, it uses it to supply 120volts and doesn't use the batteries' power through the inverter. If no power at the pedestal, then it relies on the inverter.

If you don't have that going and you have a very lengthy power outage at some point and your inverter kicks into play, you run the risk of drawing your batteries below safe levels unless you have a way to recharge them (aka.. solar).

So, you only need to wonder if you have the transfer switch. If you do, I believe you're good to go if you have a recharge method for the batteries.. in case.

The 36D7 has a coach ATS and a solar panel on the roof, so similar to your setup. I don’t think the coach ATS plays into this though as the inverter has it’s own ATS internally if I read the manual correctly.
Old 03-08-2023, 08:51 AM   #4

Then, the 'only' risk you have by leaving your inverter on is if it kicks on due to pedestal failure and no sun for weeks on end which will impact your batteries.
Just my 2 cents of course :-) I'm no 'expert'.
montelovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 02:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by _nelsonc View Post
I recently had a situation come up that i would like to get the group’s input on. Our 21.5 36D7 is our rv lot in north central Alabama while we are back home in Ohio for the winter. We leave the coach plugged into the power pedestal to keep the fridge going and the batteries topped off.

There were major storms in the southeast last week which lead to a loss of power to the site last Friday. After 20+ hours with no sign of the power being restored, we had a relative go to the coach and tirn the inverter on. About 2 hours after she left, the power was restored. She could not get back to the site until yesterday when she was able to turn off the inverter.

Two questions for the group:

1) Is there any possibility of damage to the inverter or batteries when leaving the inverter on while shore power is applied? I don’t think so in looking at the manual for the Magnum inverter, but want to get your thoughts.

2) If there is no possibility of damage, should i leave the inverter on just in case of future power outages?

On a side note: The LG fridge in our coach did not have any significant warming for the over 24 hours the power was out based on the old “penny on bowl of ice” test.

Thanks as always for your help!
I fulltimed for seven years in my DP and never turned the inverter off. Never had a problem.
Old 03-08-2023, 08:45 PM   #6
NXR

We don't have the Magnum but our inverter comes on automatically when shore power is lost. Are you certain yours did not do that?

Are you certain the Magnum is what powers the fridge? Many residential fridge installs have a separate, small inverter just for running the fridge.

Me, I'd program the touchscreen to automatically start the generator when the house batteries go low if it's stored outdoors:

Ray
Old 03-08-2023, 08:56 PM   #7

Most all inverters have a battery limit system that prevents the inverter from running after the battery voltage drops to a predetermined value. This prevents the inverter from pulling the batteries into an area where permanent damage can occur.

While I don't encourage leaving the converter running unattended for no reason, I don't see that it could cause any damage. It just adds about 2+ amps demand on the converter system when shore power is available. Thus the shore power converter will supply the needed power for the inverter plus keep the batteries charged.

If shore power goes out for what ever reason, depending on the switching system, the inverter will keep things powered to the limit of battery capacity.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 10:43 AM   #8

Did you mean...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
Most all inverters have a battery limit system that prevents the inverter from running after the battery voltage drops to a predetermined value. This prevents the inverter from pulling the batteries into an area where permanent damage can occur.

While I don't encourage leaving the converter running unattended for no reason, I don't see that it could cause any damage. It just adds about 2+ amps demand on the converter system when shore power is available. Thus the shore power converter will supply the needed power for the inverter plus keep the batteries charged.

If shore power goes out for what ever reason, depending on the switching system, the inverter will keep things powered to the limit of battery capacity.

Bob
Bob, did you mean to suddenly switch from discussing the inverter to writing about the converter?
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 11:14 AM   #9

No, the original question was in regard to leaving the inverter turned on when on shore power.

When shore power is available the converter supplies power, charging the batteries which supply power to the inverter. When shore power fails or is disconnected, the inverter will supply 120VAC, depending on the switching arrangement, to the associated appliances and circuits. This may include the converter.

One caveat is unless specific precautions are taken, the inverter would likely supply 120VAC to the entire system, thus to the converter which will then be charging the batteries. The inverter is drawing current from the batteries. This is not an efficient arrangement for battery longevity.

But as to leaving the inverter running when on shore power, there is no harm in the operation as such.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 10:10 AM   #10

Great responses all! The original problem was resolved by having a local relative shut the inverter off.

A couple other points: The Magnum inverter is the only inverter in the coach, the Magnum also is the converter so it is always on to some extent and I didn’t want to mess with AGS since we are 600 miles away and will not know when it comes on or if it shuts off. You can read another thread of mine with a failed ATS to understand my fear with the electrics.

I think the fact that the inverter is also the converter answered my question as there would be no way for it to kill the batteries as it would shut down if the batteries got too low.

Thanks for everyone’s responses!!

Tags
inverter, power, shore power