Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2018, 07:34 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdcoyle View Post
Hello

I have a new 38 ft rv. Use to have 36 ft rv. Old was 2004 class A with the older flip the lever, hook the loop and pull out. Adjust the bars, add some tie down straps with springs(camping world, design for this application)

I use to be able to leave awning out at night, some short trips away, would sit outside in pouring rain and wind with my favorite beverage.

New rv electric, longer by a couple feet (36' old rv vs 38' new)

I hate the new one! Is there a way to adjust the tension ? I try to sit outside watching fancy outside TV or seek some shade and a slight breeze causes havock. I get storms and high wind but what I'm talking about is a mold breeze

I tried using straps but it flops around way too easy....just useless. Thinking about going old school but slide out may be in the way.

Bought a separate screen room I will just put up next to my $150k rv

Any suggestions on tension appreciated.
I miss the manual style as well. My house has, the old trailer had, the same system. I would leave the bars attached to the trailer at the bottom forming an isosceles triangle (top bars, bottom bars, side of trailer). This was sturdy enough that it would stand-up to a hurricane (it actually did, boondocking w/o a weather report). The new trailers’ electric powered awning I barely trust in a mild breeze, w/o support poles and tie downs.
GodsCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:25 AM   #42

Our awning is never out with us being out with it. It’s a gigantic sail. So far so good
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:05 AM   #43

Had that happen to awning on our pop-up. Forgot to tie down the corners, and poof! Wind lifted it up and over the camper. Thank goodness insurance didn't consider my stupidity.
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:49 PM   #44

If my awning even begins to flap around it comes in. I never leave camp with it out. Truth be told, I rarely use it anyway, it always blows in ND.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:11 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandacamping View Post
I had the frame on my awning destroyed at Gulf Shores. Not thinking at 4:00 am, I told my wife to hold the pull strap while i flipped the lever so the awning would roll up out of the way. Bad Idea!!! Since the frame was gone, except for a jagged piece still attached, it did nothing but spin the "Very Powerful Spring". My hand flew back, I felt instant and severe pain in my hand, and saw the entire side of the RV was covered in blood. Next stop the hospital emergency room in Foley Alabama. My wrist was slit, two gashes in my hand, and a big chunk of skin gone. 12 stitches. If your awning gets destroyed, be careful! Cut it off put in dumpster, and call your insurance company.

Same exact thing happen to our buddy only he cut a tendon and wound up in a cast and months of PT. All for the sake of trying to remove damaged awning!
Lesleyinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:14 PM   #46

I miss my old manual awning. I put three deflappers on each side. Angle to one side to let water run off. Ran a ratchet strap from the tube to under the trailer frame and snugged up. If there was a tree or heavy picnic table around I would also strap to that. I would open awning when I got to park, close when I left. Went through some bad storms and never had an issue.
Rdeejr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning