Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
2012 Georgetown 378

leveling jacks issue

Hello fellow Georgetownians, we have been full timing in our 2012 378 and I keep hearing little creaks under our unit in the area of the jacks and it feels and appears that the leveling jacks are very slowly and incrementaly retracting. Anyone else have this problem?

Ray, Cynthia, Duncan and Bailey
2012 Georgetown 378
2006 HD Ultra
1992 Fat Boy
raycyn778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

My driver's side rear jack always seems to move. I've been under the coach looking for a source of a leak but didn't see one until about a month ago. It appears that the hose coming from the other rear jack has a small amount of fluid on the hose that runs over to the driver's side rear jack. I was able to tighten the hose about a quarter turn and then wiped everything down. I then ran the jacks up & down a few times and I don't see any fluid, but after a day or so it looks like the same jack retracts slightly. I'm not sure if temperature has a bearing on this or not. I would think if it did then all of the jacks would be effected at one time or another but it's always the same jack. The jack doesn't move much so I don't think the valve at the pump is allowing fluid to go back into the reservoir. Once the weather gets warmer I plan to venture back under and look around some more. I also plan to measure from the ground to a line on the side once I first level the coach and see how far it retracts and how long it takes before it stops moving.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Look for any small set screws on the jack housing. They are used to bleed the jacks of air. I found one of mine was loose causing a small leak. Tightened it down with an Allen wrench. Took care of the problem. Hopefully your problem is as small as mine was. Good luck.

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #4

Are you currently on a gravel or concrete pad? If it's a gravel pad it could be that setteling is taking place. I have a 2012 378TS and every time we stay on a gravel pad site for a few days a poping or sometimes a grinding noise is a result of the rocks being crushed or just moving due to weather changes and walking around inside. This will occur continuously for the duration of the stay. Anyway, just a thought.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
2012 Georgetown 378

Charlie, thanks for the reply. Funny that you mentioned temp. as I noticed that it appears to be worse when the temp is changing. Lately here in eastern SC the temps at night are in the 30's but during the day is rises to the 50-60's and the noises occur during the time when the temp changes a lot. The bedroom door is a little hard to open and swings by itself so I know the rig is moving. Don't see any leaks though.

Craig, thanks for the tip, I am going to climb under and see if I see any leakage on top of the units. Never thought about bleeders on the jacks, I know there is one on the pump. Went to a KOA in Charlotte and got a site with an incline. The automatic jacks leveled the unit but the rear jacks were extended far enough to have used all of the tranny fluid in the tank and sucked some air into the lines. Could not retract the jacks or the slides until I refilled the tank, ran the pump, bled the motor/tank and then waited for the air in the lines to run it's course. Then I made sure to leave the cover off the tank as it overflowed when I retracted the jacks and slides. unit needs a larger capacity tank

2012 Georgetown 378
2006 HD Ultra
1992 Fat Boy
Old 01-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycyn778 View Post
Hello fellow Georgetownians, we have been full timing in our 2012 378 and I keep hearing little creaks under our unit in the area of the jacks and it feels and appears that the leveling jacks are very slowly and incrementaly retracting. Anyone else have this problem?
Ray, we have noticed the same thing, particularly in the front. I have looked for leaks and have found none. I will look for the air removal screws, but would have thought I would see fluid if they were leaking. This also occurs on none gravel, solid concrete. To me, it acts like they are "settling". Keep us up to date if you find something. I will do the same.
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
2012 Georgetown 378

anwall, thanks for confirming that I am not crazy! Like you, ours is in the front as well. And like you I do not see any evidence of leaking fluid. "Settling" is a good way to describe it. Please update us if you find out anything and I will do the same......

2012 Georgetown 378
2006 HD Ultra
1992 Fat Boy
Old 01-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Ray, I think the next time I put it up on the levelers, I will make some measurements on the legs. Before I put them up, will re-measure. If there is movement, I have until the end of June to get it back in for some Warranty repair. That is if Lippert has a repair!! I have not read to much on the forums that give me that warm and fuzzy about Lippert levelers.
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #9

We are full timing in our378 and have had the same issues with our front jacks, mostly the front left, on gravel or concrete. Looks like we are all in this together.
XL 378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:08 AM   #10
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Sent an email to Lippert Customer Service asking a few questions about the levelers. I'll post the response once I get it.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 01-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #11

Yep, me to.
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:58 AM   #12
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Charlie,

We have forwarded you message to our technician on this issue. He should be contacting you soon. If you have any questions, please contact.

Thank you,

Lippert Components, Inc
Customer Service
1701 Century Dr.
Goshen, Indiana 46528
574-537-8900
574-534-7161 (fax)

When replying to this email ensure you are replying to warranty@lci1.com

Didn't hear anything yet. Guess we'll have to wait until Monday. Have a great weekend everyone !

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 01-26-2013, 09:41 AM   #13

My '05 creaks as well. I have assumed it was jacks but never stayed long enough to tell if the level changed. Now I' m set up in FL for a couple of months, we will watch. I haven't been under looking for leaks but that is a good idea.

Let us all know what the factory folks say.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #14
2012 Georgetown 378

Charlie, what did you say in your message to Lippert??

Ray

2012 Georgetown 378
2006 HD Ultra
1992 Fat Boy
Old 02-01-2013, 07:11 AM   #15
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Charlie, what did you say in your message to Lippert??

Ray
Surprise! Never heard a word. I've been sick the past week so I really haven't bothered to ask them again, but I've feeling much better so I guess it's time to ask again.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 02-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #16

Morning Superchief, I have a new Berkshire fl390. I am having leveler problems amongst a list of 25 other items and now a recall from Freightliner. All in the first month of ownership. I hope everyone honors their warranties.

Congrats on visiting all the States. That's our goal as well.
frankatp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #17
2012 Georgetown 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
Surprise! Never heard a word. I've been sick the past week so I really haven't bothered to ask them again, but I've feeling much better so I guess it's time to ask again.
Charlie, hope your feeling better. What exactly did you say to Lippert? I am going to contact them as well so that they know that it is a more widespread problem than they may know. I am also wondering what the warranty on the jacks is? Do you know?

Ray

2012 Georgetown 378
2006 HD Ultra
1992 Fat Boy
Old 02-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #18
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Charlie, hope your feeling better. What exactly did you say to Lippert? I am going to contact them as well so that they know that it is a more widespread problem than they may know. I am also wondering what the warranty on the jacks is? Do you know?

Ray
Here's what I sent to them and then the reply I received this morning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2-1-2013 12-22-58 PM.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	23737

Click image for larger version

Name:	2-1-2013 12-25-20 PM.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	23738

I'm figuring that when I fill out the form and submit it their reply will be you're out of warranty. Their reply looks like it belongs to someone else's questions. Bolts, noises, never asked that!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 02-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #19

Ray l Have a 360 and occasionally will have same problem, just under rear though and not front. This does not occur all the time and is hard to figure out. I keep mine on concrete pad when not traveling but use it as weekend get away. Where are you in eastern sc, I live in Greer and keep coach next to lake Hartwell.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #20
2012 Georgetown 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by copsuno View Post
Ray l Have a 360 and occasionally will have same problem, just under rear though and not front. This does not occur all the time and is hard to figure out. I keep mine on concrete pad when not traveling but use it as weekend get away. Where are you in eastern sc, I live in Greer and keep coach next to lake Hartwell.
We are in Florence right now, full timing while we build a home in Darlington. I hear more noise in the front left as others have indicated as well. It seems to have something to do with temps. as it seems to make more and louder noise as the temp changes quickly, like at dawn or dusk. Interesting response from Lippert (see above) I wonder if bolts are shearing.... I had a 12x41 foot concrete pad put in at our new home and we should be moving there within the next 3 weeks. At that point I will get under it and take a close look. I also contacted Lippert's warranty department and am waiting for a response. Sounds like there is a problem that they can't figure out yet but I want my unit's VIN on file with them just in case....

Ray

2012 Georgetown 378
2006 HD Ultra
1992 Fat Boy