Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2015, 09:05 AM   #1

Leveling the Coach & Walking on the Roof

Good morning all. I have a couple of questions that I may have seen in other threads, but that I couldn't find easily. I have a GT 2014 328TS (love it!) and wondered if when leveling the rear end utilizing wood ramps (as a supplement to the hydraulic system, and primarily to keep the rear tires supported) if the ramps need to support both wheels on a side, or if it were ok to support only one wheel?

Also, we're looking forward to our first NASCAR event in a couple of weeks at the Chicagoland Speedway. We're staying on the infield in the GT and hosting some family members and friends for the race who are anxious to watch the race from the roof. I know this is done, but also know not every motorhome is capable of supporting 5 or 6 adventurous race fans on the roof. Aside from being a bit slippery when wet, I've walked around on it by myself to clean, etc. Whataya think, aside from a potential family lawsuit when someone falls off, will the roof support some folks?

Thanks for any feedback!
States Camped: Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota, Minnesota, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Missouri, and Ontario CA.
swiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:11 AM   #2

I wouldn't want 5 or 6 people walking on my roof, pretty sure they weren't built for that kind of activity.
bmurph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:32 AM   #3

I have a Berkshire and would never allow 5-6 people to be on the roof. Even if standing it would be a bad idea but with chairs on the roof it is a lot of pressure on the four legs. Maybe if you put plywood down first it would distribute the weight. I would not do it.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, roo, roof