Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2020, 09:06 PM   #1
Triglide

Exclamation Lippert leveler system went belly up

I have a 2013 Georgetown 335DS with 21000 miles on it and when at a park a couple months ago the leveling system would not activate to lower the motor home. I then went to the manual mode and tried that. No joy there either so after checking the 100 amp breaker (not the problem) I tried tapping the side of the pump motor and it started and allowed me to retract the system. When we got back home I tried to activate it again...No joy ! So I then disconnected all wiring to motor and cables to batteries, house and chassis and cleaned until they shined.. Reinstalled them tight and checked all Battery voltage's. The house batt's (2) were 12.5 and the chassis batt was 12.78. I tried the system again.. No joy!. so now the unit is at the dealer for repair.. I would think that the system would last a little longer given that we have in the past 5 years only went out about 10 times.. Kinda disappointed in that. The good part is that our extended warranty is good until Dec 15 of this year..I will post what they find out when they get it repaired.. I would have to say that this is the first major problem we have experienced, Except for the lousy seat coverings that started disintegerating after just 3 years. The naugahide laver started peeling off both front seats and the couch too..
TriGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 09:47 AM   #2

Not fun when a system doesn't work correctly with that said many systems degrade thru lack of use. 10 times in 5 years is not much usage
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:35 AM   #3

I had to the same issues on a 2008 340 for years. Cleaned the cables and found out it was a bad Computer board ( never worked well since new) Had the pump changed too and it works well for now. It’s so sad how Forrest River uses the cheapest stuff inside and out. Side wall separation issues also with cheap screws rusting away.
ffalgoust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:17 PM   #4
Triglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffalgoust View Post
I had to the same issues on a 2008 340 for years. Cleaned the cables and found out it was a bad Computer board ( never worked well since new) Had the pump changed too and it works well for now. It’s so sad how Forrest River uses the cheapest stuff inside and out. Side wall separation issues also with cheap screws rusting away.
I must agree... I would think they would use better quality parts for a $125,000 unit.. not the most expensive but not really cheap unit either.. I have also replaced slide switches (2) and house elec water pump, and bathroom exhaust fan, Shower wand and head assy. Both roof A/C start capacitors. Seems like a lot for no more use than it's had..
Old 05-17-2020, 07:21 PM   #5
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Well I don't have a Georgetown but when I ordered my new camper I opted out of there stupid system. Heard to many horror stories about the system. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:52 PM   #6
NXR

I'd guess the brushes on the motor hung up for some reason, maybe corrosion. That could explain why it started working when you tapped on the motor; it knocked the brushes into place.

Ray
Old 05-18-2020, 01:00 PM   #7

Following for solution . . .
Old 05-18-2020, 04:26 PM   #8
Triglide

Received a call from the dealer today...They said they found that the electric motor for the Lippert hydraulic pump is bad..They will order a new motor.. Will post the results when they have replaced it.. They are also looking into why the electric steps work some times and not others when the coach door is opened.. just one more problem I guess..
Old 05-18-2020, 07:20 PM   #9

Had similar problem with Motor on my 2013 378XL and found a loose connection on power wire connection on motor , worked well for 6 months then motor died , motorhome was 4 years old with less then 5,000 miles
FYI new motor alone was $900 ouch
Working well for two years and yes I doubled the mileage lol
gpci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:03 PM   #10

Replaced my steps motor assembly a couple of years ago...and also replaced my Lippert control cable assembly for the levelers which is a known point of failure and they actually designed a NEW cable to run from the dash control to the sealed computer control near the valve assemble. If the motor doesn't do the trick I'd check with Lippert on diagnosing the cable issue.
What extended warranty do you have that covers hydraulic levelers?
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:48 PM   #11

The hydraulic pump went out in just a year and a half on our 2014 351DS. (Purchased in late 2013)
Not from lack of use.
We had to wait a month to get it replaced as they were on backorder at the time. Made me think that maybe so many of them were failing they were having trouble keeping up with the demand.
The replacement has been fine since then
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:46 AM   #12

Over the past 8 years I have read many who had to have their motors replaced and here is some of the reasons.

1. If you run the motor and pump long when the fluid is low the seal between the pump and motor will fail/leak and the fluid can get into the motor windings and cause it to short out.

2. The other cause I have seen is too many folks try to use the pump when their house batteries are way too low in voltage which causes and increase in amperage which also burns up the motor.

Solution to #1 is never let the tank get low of ATF to a point that levelers won't go all the way down or up and slides fail to move.
Find and repair the leaking hose or fitting and repair.
Also running the pump for long periods of time like this will make the seal fail.
The book says something like let the motor cool down if run for 3 minutes or more.

Solution to #2
Low voltage is a killer to any electronics or motors as the voltage drops below normal 12 volts the amperage goes up in equal proportion.
When happens the auto trip circuit breaker trip and stop the whole system from damage.
Many just rest and keep trying in a low battery condition. Over time the motor can burn up from higher amperage and low voltage.
To stop this from happening as I have done is I never use the pump unless 1 of these things are met.
1. I'm plugged into shore power and my batteries are on high charge and reading 12.6 volts or higher.
2. I do #1 with generator running and charging batteries.

So what I do is when I get to a campground I do not level until I'm in place and plugged into shore power first.

If you want to rebuild a motor that failed or the seal I have attached some docs that a fellow user done many years ago.
It will at least show you what is happening.
Both files are the same but different formats.
You may have to save them on your computer then open them.
They are safe.

Hope this helps everyone understand the system.
Attached Files
File Type: doc 1_Lippert Pump Seal Replacement.doc (492.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: doc Lippert Seal Replacementw.doc (634.5 KB, 36 views)
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:20 AM   #13

I just do as my documentation says. Engine running will provide engine alternator power to supplement the coach batteries.

PRIOR TO OPERATION
The leveling system shall only be operated under the following conditions: 1. The coach is parked on a reasonably level surface. 2. The coach “PARKING BRAKE” is engaged. 3. The coach transmission should be in the neutral or park position 4. The ignition is in the run position, or engine is running. 5. Be sure all person, pets and property are clear of the coach while Lippert Leveling System is in operation.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:35 PM   #14
Triglide

I got our coach back last friday and all is good... The motor was burned up they said..Warranty covered the cost of parts and labor except for the $100 deductible... Total cost for parts and labor was $1355.00
Old 06-10-2020, 09:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGlide View Post
I have a 2013 Georgetown 335DS with 21000 miles on it and when at a park a couple months ago the leveling system would not activate to lower the motor home. I then went to the manual mode and tried that. No joy there either so after checking the 100 amp breaker (not the problem) I tried tapping the side of the pump motor and it started and allowed me to retract the system. When we got back home I tried to activate it again...No joy ! So I then disconnected all wiring to motor and cables to batteries, house and chassis and cleaned until they shined.. Reinstalled them tight and checked all Battery voltage's. The house batt's (2) were 12.5 and the chassis batt was 12.78. I tried the system again.. No joy!. so now the unit is at the dealer for repair.. I would think that the system would last a little longer given that we have in the past 5 years only went out about 10 times.. Kinda disappointed in that. The good part is that our extended warranty is good until Dec 15 of this year..I will post what they find out when they get it repaired.. I would have to say that this is the first major problem we have experienced, Except for the lousy seat coverings that started disintegerating after just 3 years. The naugahide laver started peeling off both front seats and the couch too..

Where is the 100 AMP breaker located? I’m having the same issue.
GeorgeJr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:02 AM   #16
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJr7 View Post
Where is the 100 AMP breaker located? I’m having the same issue.
That depends on your model and year of manufacture. If you click on User CP at the top left and scroll down to Edit Signature you can enter that info and annoying people like me won't keep asking you that question.

Mine are fastened to the wall in the house battery compartment on either side of the Battery Control Center module. But they do not look like any circuit breaker you may have seen. They will have heavy gauge wire connected, obviously, and a tiny button in the center. There may be a rubber cap over the button. Just press the button to reset it.

HTH,

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Breaker.PNG
Views:	49
Size:	741.2 KB
ID:	231194  
Old 06-10-2020, 10:08 AM   #17
Triglide

The 100 amp breaker on our unit is in the battery compartment just to the left of the black fuse box above the batteries
Old 06-10-2020, 10:19 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
They will have heavy gauge wire connected, obviously, and a tiny button in the center. There may be a rubber cap over the button. Just press the button to reset it.

HTH,

Ray
The button is a test button to open the breaker. When the breaker is open (tripped) a red (may be black) blade will pop out from under its cover. To reset manually push the blade back under its cover.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:41 AM   #19

Back to the levelers...there is a known issue that causes the problem and that is the cable harness from the dashboard controller to the sealed & enclosed pump controller near the pump mechanism. They redesigned a new cable...make sure your repair center asks lippert about it AND also cleans up the wiring from controller too pump We had wires close to melting insulation No problems since the fix ..but it was about $600. Good luck
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:49 AM   #20
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
The button is a test button to open the breaker. When the breaker is open (tripped) a red (may be black) blade will pop out from under its cover. To reset manually push the blade back under its cover.
Thank you for the clarification. Yet another bit of misinformation from a dealer tech, I guess.

Ray