Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2022, 10:49 AM   #1
Jvz

Lippert Orange Hydraulic Line Rupture

I have a 2021 Georgetown 31L5. On a recent trip, one of my lippert orange hydraulic lines rubbed against the metal frame in the battery compartment and ruptured. Fortunately I was near a campground and after two days I was able to replace the hose with a better quality hose and continue on with our trip. My concern, considering the several posts on this forum about issues with the orange hoses, is should i replace the other orange hose. This was not necessarily a failure of the hose (ie bubbling) but rubbing against the hot metal frame. When the new one was installed, we tied it and the other orange hose pretty good so that it would not happen again. We are starting out on a five month trip out west next month. Advice or suggestions?

Joe
Jvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:12 AM   #2

I had one fail also due to rubbing. The new one was installed with a different fitting that moved it away from where it rubbed. None of the others hoses showed rubbing issues. So we replaced the one that failed and left the rest alone. I don’t see anything wrong with this approach. Have a good trip!
Old 05-25-2022, 11:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvz View Post
I have a 2021 Georgetown 31L5. On a recent trip, one of my lippert orange hydraulic lines rubbed against the metal frame in the battery compartment and ruptured. Fortunately I was near a campground and after two days I was able to replace the hose with a better quality hose and continue on with our trip. My concern, considering the several posts on this forum about issues with the orange hoses, is should i replace the other orange hose. This was not necessarily a failure of the hose (ie bubbling) but rubbing against the hot metal frame. When the new one was installed, we tied it and the other orange hose pretty good so that it would not happen again. We are starting out on a five month trip out west next month. Advice or suggestions?

Joe
You can always have another hose made up to cover the longest run and if you have another issue you'll be ready .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 04:36 PM   #4
NXR

The problem with the hydraulic lines was limited to older models and defective hoses. The only reason the Lippert jack lines are orange is to denote that those are the hoses that retract the jacks. The black hoses extend the jacks.

Ray
Old 05-26-2022, 09:05 AM   #5

We too had an orange hose rub against a metal frame and subsequently fail. Our first indication was the alarm from the Lippert control panel. (Low oil) After stopping we found that the rear of the coach and the toad were covered in hydraulic oil. After finding the hose and removing it, (ours was for the main living room slide) I took it to a local NAPA auto parts and had a new one made, while I waited no less. We don't carry a spare but do inspect them at the annual service.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. They are too easy to have made locally pretty much anywhere you go.
Mooney 78865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 01:38 PM   #6

Orange Hydraulic Hoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvz View Post

Joe
I replaced both of my orange hoses installed by Forest River with better quality because they appeared to be degrading faster than I would expect.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic