Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2021, 03:16 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hclarkx View Post
Really good information. But, I see a problem. Steve is new to this and I think we are sending him into information overload. He did ask good questions, and I think we have answered many of them, but not in a way that is easily processed and leads to an action plan. We know that dealers are often not equipped to do the job that is necessary. Hopefully Steve's is.

Does anybody know of a source that covers all of the issues with directions on the conversion to lithium iron? For instance changing to an Li BIM? Such a source would let Steve confirm the dealer is getting it right.
You hit the nail on the head Hclarkx !! I see a lot of responses above that I am still processing, so in my mind I think I have a basic understanding, I will need to go back and re-read the above a few times, but want you, TitanMike and the others to know it is GREATLY APPRECIATED !! For most of the feedback, I'm not sure what to respond or ask as followup questions until I fully process everything, and understand some .

The guy I have discussed this with in the parts section, originally worked in service and seemed to be very knowledgeable as I threw out the names of the various components as I was gathering information discussing it initially with him. I have heard of the DC to DC converter, but wasn't sure my application would need one, I will add that to my list and make sure I am comfortable they are looking into that as well if needed. That is my goal in starting my initial list is to make sure they address each component and it's compatibility to my satisfaction, and now hope I can bolster my knowledge through this forum and all your help to know they know what they are doing.

I will double back and try to respond as I can to all the responses above when I can think of something somewhat coherent to respond with!

Again, all your responses are greatly appreciated, seem very thorough, and while I have the basic understanding, at least enough that I know 'things need to be compatible' . I need to process and let it all sink in.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:21 PM   #22

It's definitely a challenge if one does not have an EE degree!!

I take it you plan on having the dealer do the installation? That can be very expensive though I've seen prices mentioned for independent installers. They aren't cheap either. Do It Yourself can save thousands and give the owner intimate knowledge that can come in handy when a problem occurs in the back country. This isn't a viable path for everybody but a lot of people do it. Going this route in a MH is a lot more complex than in a bumper pull or fifth wheel, so shouldn't be take lightly. Going DIY can make dollars available for upscale and more reliable and capable equipment than some dealers will use. Though it's clear that you are on your way to being able to be sure the dealer gets it right. Very important.

We'll be here as you get deeper into the project. BTW, how much time do you have before signing on the dotted line?

BTW, heated batteries aren't a bad idea given your home location, but may not be necessary. We can get into that as well at some point.
100% dry camping and boondocking.
https://hclarkx.slickpic.com/gallery/?viewer
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:37 PM   #23

Quote:
It's definitely a challenge if one does not have an EE degree!!
Yes Hclarkx, I don't quite have that yet

Quote:
I take it you plan on having the dealer do the installation? That can be very expensive though I've seen prices mentioned for independent installers. They aren't cheap either. Do It Yourself can save thousands and give the owner intimate knowledge that can come in handy when a problem occurs in the back country. This isn't a viable path for everybody but a lot of people do it. Going this route in a MH is a lot more complex than in a bumper pull or fifth wheel, so shouldn't be take lightly. Going DIY can make dollars available for upscale and more reliable and capable equipment than some dealers will use. Though it's clear that you are on your way to being able to be sure the dealer gets it right. Very important.
Yes, I think it best to have the dealer do it given I don't even do much electrical work at home. Worrying about the chassis battery, and the connection to the coach batteries just really seems to complicate things.

Quote:
We'll be here as you get deeper into the project. BTW, how much time do you have before signing on the dotted line?

Definitely appreciate it! Well since it's obvious I need to do some more ciphering, I'm thinking tomorrow is out of the question, which was what I was shooting for, so I guess my new target will be before next season (April 1st).

Quote:
BTW, heated batteries aren't a bad idea given your home location, but may not be necessary. We can get into that as well at some point.
My thoughts on this have changed, I think there would only be a few percent of power loss per month with the lithiums. My storage facility has power (120V), so I wouldn't even need the heated batteries, as I'm sure, on average, I'd be able to charge the lithiums (with temperature above the 25 degree cutoff of the BB BMS), at the longest, once every month or two, worse case. This would also rely on my identifying and eliminating most if not all parasitic drain of the batteries.

Thanks Hclarkx.
Old 11-22-2021, 11:09 PM   #24

I set my Samlex EVO-3012 Inverter/Charger to float at 13.4v after the batteries are fully charged. That is to prevent the over-charging of the chassis battery. My modified BCC relay opens at 13.45v, see below:

Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 01:04 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveku View Post
Yes Hclarkx, I don't quite have that yet

Yes, I think it best to have the dealer do it given I don't even do much electrical work at home. Worrying about the chassis battery, and the connection to the coach batteries just really seems to complicate things.

Definitely appreciate it! Well since it's obvious I need to do some more ciphering, I'm thinking tomorrow is out of the question, which was what I was shooting for, so I guess my new target will be before next season (April 1st).

My thoughts on this have changed, I think there would only be a few percent of power loss per month with the lithiums. My storage facility has power (120V), so I wouldn't even need the heated batteries, as I'm sure, on average, I'd be able to charge the lithiums (with temperature above the 25 degree cutoff of the BB BMS), at the longest, once every month or two, worse case. This would also rely on my identifying and eliminating most if not all parasitic drain of the batteries.

Thanks Hclarkx.
Yes, the Li chassis battery connection to the coach batteries really does complicate things. But, the good news is that its done often and there are well developed solutions. It's above my pay grade, but I've seen quite a few discussions of the solutions here and on iRV2.com. Dig a bit on these forums and I think you'll have this problem in the bag.

Eliminating all drain on the batteries is essential. Easiest is to simply disconnect the battery at one battery terminal. Or install a switch to do so.
But do keep the two BB's connected solidly in parallel; this is very critical. Long story.

Some battery monitors ignore small loads on the battery so can show no load when there is a bit (why is a long story). Disconnecting the battery assures no load.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:29 AM   #26

Quote:
Yes, the Li chassis battery connection to the coach batteries really does complicate things. But, the good news is that its done often and there are well developed solutions. It's above my pay grade, but I've seen quite a few discussions of the solutions here and on iRV2.com. Dig a bit on these forums and I think you'll have this problem in the bag.

Eliminating all drain on the batteries is essential. Easiest is to simply disconnect the battery at one battery terminal. Or install a switch to do so.
But do keep the two BB's connected solidly in parallel; this is very critical. Long story.

Some battery monitors ignore small loads on the battery so can show no load when there is a bit (why is a long story). Disconnecting the battery assures no load.
I installed a 500a shut off switch & found my steps were powered by the Battle Born batteries. I had to install a bypass to power the steps from the starter battery, so I could take it to a RV shop for repairs in the winter.
Old 11-23-2021, 06:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
I set my Samlex EVO-3012 Inverter/Charger to float at 13.4v after the batteries are fully charged. That is to prevent the over-charging of the chassis battery. My modified BCC relay opens at 13.45v, see below:

Wow rk06382, you have 600 Ah of lithiums?!! I had a dream I got 400 with my new setup, and I was excited!! Did you put the batteries in a compartment next to the original one, assuming the FR3 is setup similiar to our Georgetown, we have a small compartment right next to the battery compartment. I was originally thinking of getting 3, but the current battery compartment would hold 2 and that should be sufficient for some light boondocking, free stays in parking lots, etc....

Looks like you have a lot of the additions we would like to make, of course the BB batteries, Snap pads, Fantastic fan, Victron Bmv-712.
Old 11-23-2021, 06:52 PM   #28

Quote:
YES ..... if the Merlin solar controller has a user mode, you are set. I should have mentioned this. Many of the solar controllers sold even today handle lithium via a "user mode." Mine included. We can help you with the settings when the time comes.

To be honest, getting our MH almost exactly 2 months before we had to winterize, I was kinda in 'Fighting Fire' mode, addressing issues as they came up, taking it back to the dealer 3 times for various issues, and when free time came, enjoying camping & fishing and trying to 'figure things out', since our PDI was somewhat rushed. I just remembered something about the user mode on the Merlin.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:16 PM   #29

Quote:

Will have to also participate in IRV2, am familiar with it, and have done some minor research there - thanks!

Quote:

Yeah, what Battleborn told me, and it makes sense, since the heater is internal in their heated batteries, it's power usage wouldn't register through the shunt, but when the battery is fully charged it would correct and calibrate. I guess the question there is, how much power does the heating take. I'll ask them next time I contact them.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:18 PM   #30

Quote:
Wow rk06382, you have 600 Ah of lithiums?!! I had a dream I got 400 with my new setup, and I was excited!! Did you put the batteries in a compartment next to the original one, assuming the FR3 is setup similiar to our Georgetown, we have a small compartment right next to the battery compartment. I was originally thinking of getting 3, but the current battery compartment would hold 2 and that should be sufficient for some light boondocking, free stays in parking lots, etc....

Looks like you have a lot of the additions we would like to make, of course the BB batteries, Snap pads, Fantastic fan, Victron Bmv-712.
My battery compartment started with two batteries side by side to four side by side. see Expanding compartment space for 2200 Watt Inverter/Charger.

A year later with two more Battle Borns & heat pads. I have two sets of three batteries next to each other, enclosed on three sides.

I installed four Heat Pads on the outside batteries. The center batteries will be keep warm from the Heat Pads on either side.

Modified compartment for six batteries: Notice the steel coming down to hold 200lb weight of the batteries.

Final with the six batteries install:
Click image for larger version

Name:	FR3 6xBattery compartment 20200529_175308.jpg
Views:	4291
Size:	585.1 KB
ID:	266040
Old 11-23-2021, 09:30 PM   #31

Quote:
My battery compartment started with two batteries side by side to four side by side. see Expanding compartment space for 2200 Watt Inverter/Charger.

A year later with two more Battle Borns & heat pads. I have two sets of three batteries next to each other, enclosed on three sides.

I installed four Heat Pads on the outside batteries. The center batteries will be keep warm from the Heat Pads on either side.

Modified compartment for six batteries: Notice the steel coming down to hold 200lb weight of the batteries.

Final with the six batteries install:
Attachment 266040

Wow, that is some setup...... to say the least. That diamond plate looks great! Hopped to a couple of your posts, very impressive, and interesting to read. Helps me understand more of what I am trying to accomplish!
Old 11-28-2021, 05:55 AM   #32

Quote:
Wow, that is some setup...... to say the least. That diamond plate looks great! Hopped to a couple of your posts, very impressive, and interesting to read. Helps me understand more of what I am trying to accomplish!

Just remember whatever you do is a custom mod. It will be your job to become an expert of your system. You will need to be able to troubleshoot & redesign improvements.

That is why I believe the Victron BMV-712 is an required to know your SOC. I can check the SOC when the FR3 is parked in my driveway from living room recliner.

Good luck with your Lithium upgrade.

Lithium is freedom to boondock.

Eagle Summit. Sept 12, 2021

We saw a herd of Caribou on an August trip to Eagle Summit.

Name:	Eagle Summit 20210912_175708.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	311.1 KB
ID:	266155

Sunset from dash cam. The GPS location is at the bottom of the picture.

Name:	Sunset 9-12-2021.GRMN0004.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	266156

We will return next year.
Old 11-28-2021, 08:14 PM   #33

Quote:
Just remember whatever you do is a custom mod. It will be your job to become an expert of your system. You will need to be able to troubleshoot & redesign improvements.

That is why I believe the Victron BMV-712 is an required to know your SOC. I can check the SOC when the FR3 is parked in my driveway from living room recliner.

Good luck with your Lithium upgrade.

Lithium is freedom to boondock.

Eagle Summit. Sept 12, 2021

We saw a herd of Caribou on an August trip to Eagle Summit.
Attachment 266155

Sunset from dash cam. The GPS location is at the bottom of the picture.
Attachment 266156

We will return next year.

Makes sense, I have always thought knowing the SOC is required. My research has lead me to the Victron BMV-712, it would be great knowing this. Those photos, boy you are really out there, that would indeed be an awesome site to see a herd of Caribou! Thanks for sharing the photos and advice!
Old 11-28-2021, 10:22 PM   #34

Quote:
Will have to also participate in IRV2, am familiar with it, and have done some minor research there - thanks!

Yeah, what Battleborn told me, and it makes sense, since the heater is internal in their heated batteries, it's power usage wouldn't register through the shunt, but when the battery is fully charged it would correct and calibrate. I guess the question there is, how much power does the heating take. I'll ask them next time I contact them.
Interesting thought. If it's cold enough I would think the heater could fully discharge the battery during a few months of storage. Maybe there is a heater switch on the battery? Let us know what you learn.

My son just left for his 7 hour drive home ... after we upgraded his 400 Ah LiFePO4 system to 840 Ah. Both systems were home brew. The 840 Ah system had a total cost of $1900. His old 400 Ah system is going into my fiver.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:04 AM   #35

Quote:
Interesting thought. If it's cold enough I would think the heater could fully discharge the battery during a few months of storage. Maybe there is a heater switch on the battery? Let us know what you learn.

My son just left for his 7 hour drive home ... after we upgraded his 400 Ah LiFePO4 system to 840 Ah. Both systems were home brew. The 840 Ah system had a total cost of $1900. His old 400 Ah system is going into my fiver.
The Heat Battery Kit comes with an enable switch and necessary wires so that you can enable and disable your heated battery from anywhere in your system.
https://battlebornbatteries.com/prod...kit-1-battery/
W5CRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 03:02 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CRE View Post
The Heat Battery Kit comes with an enable switch and necessary wires so that you can enable and disable your heated battery from anywhere in your system.
https://battlebornbatteries.com/prod...kit-1-battery/
Looks like a very effective system.

Steve, Li batteries can be stored below 32F. Check BBs specs on this relative to your Ohio nights (I assume the garage is not heated). So it's usually only when you are out camping that low temperature is a problem .... if you camp in cold weather. The next question is how much exposure they have to the ambient when camping in cold weather (and how cold it is). I've camped in low 20's at night with 40's in the day time and the battery never got below mid 40's. Others have reported similar experience. Even Li has considerable mass and won't cool off all that quickly when outside temperature drops overnight.

In my case the batteries are in the storage area behind the pin of a fiver. The front wall is 1.25" foam. The bottom is sheet metal that I covered with 2" of insulating foam. The sides are protected somewhat by propane tank cavities. The rear wall is half inch plywood backed by the semi-heated basement. The inverter and solar controllers are in that same compartment and provide some heat to help with the modest Li battery losses. So, no heaters needed. Your MH might provide sufficient insulation to not need battery heaters during cold weather cmaping.

Should you go without heaters and hit some very cold weather, some blankets or a heating pad or similar can do the job temporarily.

I should mention that my battery has BT and reads the battery cell temperature out on my cell phone which gives me confidence that the battery is chargeable. If you camp in sub-freezing weather you might want to at least monitor the temperature of the battery compartment.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:43 AM   #37

Quote:
Looks like a very effective system.

Steve, Li batteries can be stored below 32F. Check BBs specs on this relative to your Ohio nights (I assume the garage is not heated). So it's usually only when you are out camping that low temperature is a problem .... if you camp in cold weather. The next question is how much exposure they have to the ambient when camping in cold weather (and how cold it is). I've camped in low 20's at night with 40's in the day time and the battery never got below mid 40's. Others have reported similar experience. Even Li has considerable mass and won't cool off all that quickly when outside temperature drops overnight.

In my case the batteries are in the storage area behind the pin of a fiver. The front wall is 1.25" foam. The bottom is sheet metal that I covered with 2" of insulating foam. The sides are protected somewhat by propane tank cavities. The rear wall is half inch plywood backed by the semi-heated basement. The inverter and solar controllers are in that same compartment and provide some heat to help with the modest Li battery losses. So, no heaters needed. Your MH might provide sufficient insulation to not need battery heaters during cold weather cmaping.

Should you go without heaters and hit some very cold weather, some blankets or a heating pad or similar can do the job temporarily.

I should mention that my battery has BT and reads the battery cell temperature out on my cell phone which gives me confidence that the battery is chargeable. If you camp in sub-freezing weather you might want to at least monitor the temperature of the battery compartment.
Very good setup.

Remember also at below freezing the concern is not charging the battery. You can continue to use the battery down to -4°F.
W5CRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 10:48 PM   #38

The BMS does not turn the heaters on unless there is power to charge batteries the power to run heaters comes from charger or converter 200-amp system discharged to 20 % will take 4 to 6 hours to charge if it's hot out BMS will cut amps back so cells will not be harmed. The time to charge is with a 70-amp PD9170L converter. I have seen my batteries charged in 1 to 2 hours but they were 50 % or more. A DC-to-DC charger should be used as stated above. I started with these https://www.amazon.com/Lithium-Batte...P%2CB07BRND6MF Then went to these
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08N56CYS5...t_details&th=1 .There was nothing wrong with the first batteries I'm going to use them for trolling motor batteries plus I wanted let the battery control heating and I can see SOC of each battery on my cellphone I don't have to go inside to look at battery SOC. SOC = [state of charge] hope this helps.
doanshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:37 PM   #39

Quote:

Yes, you can enable and disable it, on one or multiple batteries connecting to a heat-enable post on the top of each battery, but you must disable or enable each individual battery. For multiple batteries, you can daisy chain them, with an add on kit, which includes an on/off switch to turn on / off the heat function to multiple batteries.

That sounds like a great upgrade, doubling his capacity! Hclarkx, you get to upgrade as well, sounds like you have some work to do still, but well worth it!

Tags
georgetown, tow, upgrade