Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2024, 09:54 PM   #1

Location of the slide limit switch

I have a 2014 Georgetown 378ts. I can run my motorhome when I am parked with my slides out, have to turn engine off to pull the slides in and then when I go to start the engine it won't start. I tried using the house battery bypass start and it still with not start. I know the battery is good and ground wire is good. I'm sure it has to do with the limit switch buy do not know where it is located. Does anyone know where it is or has any other information that would help. Thanks.
Billm325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 07:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billm325 View Post
I have a 2014 Georgetown 378ts. I can run my motorhome when I am parked with my slides out, have to turn engine off to pull the slides in and then when I go to start the engine it won't start. I tried using the house battery bypass start and it still with not start. I know the battery is good and ground wire is good. I'm sure it has to do with the limit switch buy do not know where it is located. Does anyone know where it is or has any other information that would help. Thanks.
What is this limit switch you speak of? If your slides are hydraulic they appear to be working normally (ignition switch must be off for slides to operate). Sounds like engine starter may have gone south.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 07:40 AM   #3

No the starter is good. I can check the battery voltage and it is good. If I try to start the engine it will not turn over but I can jump it and it will start and then will continue to start until I again move the slides. As I said I can start the engine before I pull in the slides, can let it run, can turn it off and start it again no problem until I pull the slides in again.
Old 02-29-2024, 09:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billm325 View Post
No the starter is good. I can check the battery voltage and it is good. If I try to start the engine it will not turn over but I can jump it and it will start and then will continue to start until I again move the slides. As I said I can start the engine before I pull in the slides, can let it run, can turn it off and start it again no problem until I pull the slides in again.
Are all of your slides hydraulic? What are you jumping"
On a GT378 with hydraulic slides the only interconnect between engine and slides is the ignition switch that provides the lockout voltage to defeat the slides. There is no limit switch. There is no slide input to the starter/ignition. It does sound like it could be a starter solenoid (mounted on the starter) issue but just a wag.
Old 02-29-2024, 10:03 AM   #5

It's not the starter solenoid because like I said it will start with my battery jumper pack. I'm not sure it it has a slide limit switch or what it is as it is only when I try to start after pupping in the slides. After I jump it that one time I can turn it off and start it anytime or as many times as I want until I go and pull the slides back in. Not sure what it is am just hopping someone will have an idea. Thanks.
Old 02-29-2024, 10:40 AM   #6

I'm in the dark on this one. By the way the battery boost/AUX switch does not bypass anything it connects the chassis and coach batteries together while the switch is held actuated via the interconnect solenoid in the battery control center (BCC) box under the entrance stairs. Good luck.
Old 02-29-2024, 03:39 PM   #7

Wild, and I mean WILD guess.

You mentioned something about "jumping" to start the engine.

I suspect your engine-start battery cables might have corrosion somewhere. I'd do a meticulous inspection of the battery terminals...clean the posts and cables, and then check all the crimp and other connectors between the battery and starter motor, and between the battery and ground. This is based on your "jump" comment.

As for the so-called "limit switch." I doubt that it's really a limit switch, but if your rig knows that the slides are out and prevents the rig from starting, there must be some sort of "normally open" or "normally closed" switch (like a plunger or lever switch) that opens (or closes) when the slide is extended. And part of the engine start circuitry checks that switch in order to allow the engine start process to function.

Yes, this "telltale" switch on the slide might be bad, but so could the logic circuit that relies on this switch to allow the engine start to function...or the wiring that talks to that circuit. If this circuit relies on chassis ground, that could be a problem at the telltale switch end. It's highly likely that chassis ground for this switch would be a unique ground point for this switch alone...close to the switch.

No, I don't know where that switch is, but there aren't too many options for a mechanical switch to be operated reliably by extending/retracting the slide. You might discover that the switch is fine but there is some sort of tab that operates the switch that has come adrift.

I apologize that this wasn't much help, but I do suggest you double check your battery cables, because the "jumping" you mentioned hints at a high-resistance connection somewhere in the wiring from the engine start battery to the starter, etc.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, location, slide, switch