Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2017, 04:47 AM   #1

Longest trip so far

DW and I along with another couple took off last Friday on a ten hour trip to Fort Dix NJ to attend a friends retirement after 33 yrs serving our country. $68 PA turnpike toll and 8MPG we arrived stayed at Timber Lake campgrounds 13 miles from base. Nice place, nice people running it. GPS took us on back sand road for 2.5 miles a bit nerve racking.

RV ran great, only had to slow down two times for cross winds around Philly, Safety T an rear sway bar did their job. Stopped once at 400 miles for gas both ways. Learned to carry two credit cards, pumps stop at $100.

On the way home Generator acted up, 4 times it shut off at 30 seconds, once at 10 minutes then ran for 3 hours before we turned it off. Needed genny for A/C to cool MH down, engine A/C couldn't keep temps below 82. Going to drop MH off this wkn down in Cincinnati at Cummins dealer. This shutting down has happen several times and after shut down ten minutes later runs for hours.

Construction area are scary, had area with cement barriers on both sides and had 18 wheeler on my side. Pucker factor, then had 18 wheeler on side going through one of the tunnels on turnpike, another pucker.

I think I am now ready for 1200 mile trip to Wyoming next month, plan 500 miles per day each way with wife and daughter. As long as their wine lasts my trip should be quiet.

One fantastic trip down and many more to go.
Secarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:03 AM   #2

Wow, glad you had a nice trip and it's trip like this make you want to go again and again. I have a 1200 miles trip coming up soon myself and just can't wait.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:11 AM   #3

You should follow the rules when it says Trucks, Busses keep either lane. A lot less pucker factor.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:25 AM   #4

500 miles per day? Better you than me. Waaaay too many miles per day IMHO. Travel safely.
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:31 AM   #5

Not like driving a car, that's for sure!
Old 06-06-2017, 06:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Wow, glad you had a nice trip and it's trip like this make you want to go again and again. I have a 1200 miles trip coming up soon myself and just can't wait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360true View Post
500 miles per day? Better you than me. Waaaay too many miles per day IMHO. Travel safely.
A lot depends on the type of road. If mostly Interstate it is easy to cover 600 miles. But on two lane highways that pass thru the occasional small towns 350 to 400 can take all day. This week I traveled 1600 miles in three days. Made it easier by hitting the road at 5AM with very little traffic. Got to both overnight RV locations by 4PM. And that included stretch breaks every 2 to 3 hours to walk the dogs. I make this run to/from Maine every year for years so no longer care to make side trips on this route. On a long trip to a new area I would stop more often to see the sights. Having traveled all over the lower 48 with 5 different RVs I have pretty much covered my list of places I want to see. Now its Florida to our seaside summer home in Maine and back in fall.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:53 AM   #7

I have 60k on my 360 and love just about all the miles except across ND where the prairie winds are rough. I do think 500 a day is pushing little hard, I run 350 or so I love to see this wonderful country. Enjoy.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:01 AM   #8

Paying for gas inside can get you around the $100 limit most of the time. Notifying bank card company of your trip can help as well.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:13 AM   #9

Maybe not the same but the stations I go to that have a limit it is a limit per charge. After the pump has reset then the card can be re-swiped for a new limit and pumping.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:23 AM   #10

Some stations have a limit and some credit cards have a limit when it comes to gas. Got into an argument with one c.f. company when gas tripled!
Old 06-06-2017, 08:39 AM   #11

I am on the 4,000 miles (estimated) trip, so far I have completed around 2200 miles and still have another 1800 miles to go, maybe the trip will end up over 4,000 miles. I began my journey on May 5th from Willis, TX to Balmorhea, Bosque Del Apache in New Mexico, Very Large Array in NM, Narco AZ, Tucson AZ, Palm Desert CA, Corona CA and now in Santa Paula CA. Next Monday, we will depart for Page AZ, Silverton CO, then head down toward Taos NM, Santa Fe NM, Amarillo TX, then back home in Willis right around June 28th.

This is my 4th trip on my new RV bought in July 2016. The first trip was 200 miles round trip, then 2 trips after that at 500 miles roundtrip each. All kinks worked out before I took this long trip. My next trip will be around 3,000 miles toward the end of the year and the next one is in the plan for 10,000 miles toward the Midwest, then Alaska.

So far, I did an average of 400 miles a day. Begin driving around 9:00 am then stop for the lunch break around noon at rest area for an hour or so, then drive until I hit my target between 400 to 420 miles depending on where the next stop is. If the destination is more than 500 miles, I would break it down into two days and do one around 380 to 400 miles for day one then the balance on the following day. On the two days driving destination, we normally stop at a rest area or state visitor center for overnight. This way, I would arrive at my destination right around 11 am to 12 pm the next morning and have an additional half a day of pleasure. I have not use any Walmart or Truckstop for overnight yet since the rest areas are conveniently located right on the freeway. However, I do stay away from all of the truck stops and truck parking.

Since this is my first long RV adventure, before I took the trip, I did plan out my route carefully and know exactly how far between one point to the other, another word, I note down the coordinate of each of the rest stop that I need along the route, and use the Gas Buddy apps to pinpoint the gas station/truck stop that I need to refuel where the best gas price could be, etc. and map all of those coordinate to my Garmin GPS. On my next trip, I will not plan the same way and be more flexible.

So far the coach performed well (knock on wood), only a few minor things happens that were fixed quickly, nothing that can't be fixed with a screwdriver and some gorilla glue.

The RV was loaded near its capacity and with a near capacity on the tow vehicle as well. After all, through some good steep grade and flat land driving, I average out at around 6.8 mpg. My average daily use is around 4 to 5 KW of electricity with 2 air conditioning units running at most of the time to keep cool during the day and sometimes I have to use two portable electric heaters to warm at night where the temperature dropped down below 65. Even though all of the RV campgrounds that I stayed were full hookup and including all of the utility, but I would like to keep track with my usage (just for grin). One thing that I learned about my air conditioning system is it works well with the cold air, but use the heat strip as the heater for the coach does not work well at all. The two furnaces work well and warm up the coach fast, but since all electric was paid for and included in the RV daily charge, so I rather not burn my own propane. For the heat, I bought a 1500 watts portable heater and it works very well for me.

Good luck on your trip and hope you have as much fun as I am now!

tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:41 PM   #12

Since we will be on major highways I feel the 500 plus miles a day for just two days will be a breeze. As long as there is no major breezes across the highway. I want to be on road early and off the road at camp grounds no later then 5 so I can get money's worth at camp grounds.
Secarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secarider View Post
Since we will be on major highways I feel the 500 plus miles a day for just two days will be a breeze. As long as there is no major breezes across the highway. I want to be on road early and off the road at camp grounds no later then 5 so I can get money's worth at camp grounds.
We try to be off the road by 4. They tend to start filling early this time of year.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:00 PM   #14

Smile Credit cards

Next time at the gas station , go inside and tell them you want to fill the tank. They'll stop the pump from shutting off.
bobstepsup is offline   Reply With Quote