Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2015, 04:55 PM   #1

Looking for thoughts...

I have Always been astonished at how knowledgeable people on this forum are... So I have a strange request... I'm thinking of upgrading my Georgetown 300Fws that I purchased last year...I need more room... I'm looking at a 2005 Mountain Air 4016.. With 79k.. I have taken it on a few test drives... Seems to run great.. Only issue I see is the rear AC blows hot and the rug needs a good cleaning.. Both of which the dealer agrees to fix as well as a complete PDI... Anyone see anything I should be concerned about..Mileage 79k. Gen set 1400hrs, asking price 102k...

Thoughts opinions... And yes I know this is a Forest River site... But everyone here seems to know more than I do so looking for some help

Thank you
Old 05-11-2015, 05:04 PM   #2
clr

I owned a Newmar 5th wheel for 11 years and loved it a quality built unit. I would say in the world of diesels 79K is not many miles at all. If you are really concerned about the engine or running gear you could always have a third party inspect the unit much like is done when buying a home. Not aware of the terms associated with the purchase but I would recommend a very through PDI inspection before you drive the unit off the lot. Good Luck.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:40 PM   #3

For a 2005 my only recommendation would be to have a qualified mechanic give the engine a good going over and have an oil analysis done. It might set you back $300-500, but could end up saving you a 100k headache.

That's very low mileage, but with a diesel, that may not always be the best news. Ie., if it was driven regularly, but just not over long distances would be a much better situation than it sat for months on end in between trips. KWIM?
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:47 PM   #4

Does the price sound reasonable?.. For the mileage?
Old 05-12-2015, 10:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedjester View Post
Does the price sound reasonable?.. For the mileage?
These are my thoughts on your purchase.

$102K is low retail I found on NADA RV.
The motorhome as well used with 79,000 miles as well as the generator.
I would make sure they replace the AC unit and not just fix it which may only be a temporary fix.
What is the type and age of the tires? See the DOT date on the side of the tires and if they are original I would want new ones. If you have to do it yourself in a year or so that alone will cost you at least $5,000 installed but probably more.

Can they show you the engines maintenance records?
When was the last oil change, fuel filter change and has the transmission fluid ever been replaced?
These also are expensive maintenance items.

Now other than that if the interior size is good for you and all appliances work well I still would try and get them down below $100,000. If they offer you some type of warranty on the rig which includes transmission, engine and generator for that price I would pay the $102k.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:35 PM   #6

With a diesel the radiator antifreeze should be replaced on schedule provided by engine manual.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote