Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2015, 03:58 PM   #1

Low Point Drain gushing water

Help! One of my low point drains is gushing out water as soon as I turn on water source outside at connection. Cap/valve is on drain, but still leaks when water is turned on. Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

2012 Georgetown 351DS
edmonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:10 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Are you saying the water is gushing out at the exact location of the cap, or just visibly dripping form this area?

Is this the first time you've pressurized the water lines this year?

Is it possible that you have a split line from winter freezing?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:16 PM   #3

Thanks! I live in California, 72 degrees today. We are camping this weekend and just finished hooking everything up. As soon as I turn the water on water comes gushing out of the grey line that has a screen attached at the end. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1432329289.095530.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	77725
Old 05-22-2015, 04:22 PM   #4

I'd bet you fresh water tank is full.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:23 PM   #5

I think that is your fresh water tank overflow. So the check valve in the water pump must not be sealing properly. Disconnect city water, turn water pump on, open cold faucet and let flow for one minute. Turn water pump off, turn on city water and hopefully it sealed. If not sealed, try again. Otherwise you might have to use on board water until you get it fixed......
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:24 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmonh View Post
Thanks! I live in California, 72 degrees today. We are camping this weekend and just finished hooking everything up. As soon as I turn the water on water comes gushing out of the grey line that has a screen attached at the end.
I don't think kenandterry was trying to suggest it was freezing today but maybe in the cold of winter.

However, I'm guessing it's a fresh water tank overflow... doesn't look like any low point drain I've seen.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:30 PM   #7

Thanks everyone! Wasn't trying to be sarcastic about my California comment, just that I live in an area where I don't have to worry about freezing.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:35 PM   #8

Thanks, Fonzie! Trying the steps you mentioned. Defiantly the fresh water overflow tank.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:34 AM   #9

There are a lot of issues with the freshwater tank discharging most of the water when they are filling. Seems that the tank expands when filled at high pressure. They then "Burp" out all of the water. There are solutions on other posts. I just fill slowly when topping off the tank. Seems to work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
undr60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:54 AM   #10

I've had two RVs with fresh water vent/overflow tubes that exited through the underbelly like edmonh's rather than venting next to the fill port. They were evidently placed too deeply into the fresh tank because each time I'd over-fill the tank, the vent tube would siphon out a bunch of the water. On one of the trailers, the siphon would remove about a fourth of the tank volume. I finally just stuck a cork in the tube and abandoned the vent.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:29 AM   #11

That is the holding tank vent/overflow and if the pump will not reset its backflow preventer and you have a winterization hose with the winterization selector valve and the winterization hose has a cap/plug installed you could switch over to the winterization mode and that will keep your holding tank from filling up till you can get a fix for the pump issue.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:03 PM   #12

I've run into this problem a couple of times in my 2011 Georgetown 327DS when I filled the tank before heading out for dry camping and rocking motion of the coach body while driving started sloshing water out of the overflow tube. It forms a siphon which will drain water until it drops below the bottom of the tube inside the tank. It appears on my fresh tank that the overflow tube extends almost half way to the bottom of the tank.

The overflow tube is a 1" clear plastic tube so I've been considering putting a small hole in the top of the tube to prevent the vacuum necessary for a siphon. I can't see getting a high enough water flow in the overflow to fill the tube which, at its connection to the tank is at least 1/2" above the tank. The small hole will have a small diameter tube sealed into it whose other end points down towards the road to prevent dust infiltration into the tank. (Another project for a time when my hands are idle.)

A shutoff valve in the overflow could cause problems if you draw water from the tank and have no way for air to enter it. This will cause the tank to collapse which has a high probability of cracking the plastic tank, causing a major replacement job.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsherman View Post
I've run into this problem a couple of times in my 2011 Georgetown 327DS when I filled the tank before heading out for dry camping and rocking motion of the coach body while driving started sloshing water out of the overflow tube. It forms a siphon which will drain water until it drops below the bottom of the tube inside the tank. It appears on my fresh tank that the overflow tube extends almost half way to the bottom of the tank.

The overflow tube is a 1" clear plastic tube so I've been considering putting a small hole in the top of the tube to prevent the vacuum necessary for a siphon. I can't see getting a high enough water flow in the overflow to fill the tube which, at its connection to the tank is at least 1/2" above the tank. The small hole will have a small diameter tube sealed into it whose other end points down towards the road to prevent dust infiltration into the tank. (Another project for a time when my hands are idle.)

A shutoff valve in the overflow could cause problems if you draw water from the tank and have no way for air to enter it. This will cause the tank to collapse which has a high probability of cracking the plastic tank, causing a major replacement job.

Phil
The OP's issue is that when shore water pressure is applied water flows out the holding tank vent/overflow. Check valve in pump not positioned correctly.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
I've had two RVs with fresh water vent/overflow tubes that exited through the underbelly like edmonh's rather than venting next to the fill port. They were evidently placed too deeply into the fresh tank because each time I'd over-fill the tank, the vent tube would siphon out a bunch of the water. On one of the trailers, the siphon would remove about a fourth of the tank volume. I finally just stuck a cork in the tube and abandoned the vent.
Seems to me if you closed off the vent the pump over time would collapse your water tank.
vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibe View Post
Seems to me if you closed off the vent the pump over time would collapse your water tank.
That's not the only problem you'll have. When in transit, it's perfectly fine to cap/valve/or otherwise close off the overflow vent. You just need to remember to open it back up before turning on your water pump.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:14 AM   #16

I use a 1/2 inch hose attached to my water hose. This slips into the fill connection and doesn't allow the tank to build up pressure. When the water comes out of the fill hole I know my tank is full. Only costs a few bucks and well worth it.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:56 PM   #17

2 thoughts
1. Not to insult your intelligence but are you sure your water is not connected to the tank fill?
2. Turn off the water supply and run several gallons out of the holding tank with the pump
mark10361 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, water