Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2019, 07:59 AM   #1

Lubricating Chassis - where?

Hope someone out there can answer a few questions. I grease the 9 points outlined in the owners manual but I'm wondering about following
1. There's a zerk fitting on the back axle. Do I use same grease on it and how do I know whatever I'm lubricating is done( exit point )
2. I don't see grease fittings on any of the universals on the drive shaft - has anyone found where they are
3 Are the any points on the back wheels / axle I should be greasing
4 Has anyone repacked wheel bearing and can offer any guidance how to do it
Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:35 AM   #2

What are you working on?
Old 06-15-2019, 09:21 AM   #3

I have a 2012 Georgetown 378
Old 06-16-2019, 08:58 AM   #4

I also have a 2012 378TS.
The only grease points on this Georgetown is on the front end.
The rear axle doesn't have one. You sure its not the air breather cap on the rear axle?
See picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F-53-LubePoints.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	207496  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:54 PM   #5

Iggy - I was hoping I'd get a reply from you. You're one of the trusted sourses on the site. I thought the fitting back there (axle )was a zerk fitting but could be a breather - I'll have a good second look.
When it comes to repacking wheel bearing have you done it yet? Did you have it done or do it yourself? If it was a DIY project anything you can tell me about doing it would be appreciated
Old 06-16-2019, 03:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomore9-5 View Post
Iggy - I was hoping I'd get a reply from you. You're one of the trusted sourses on the site. I thought the fitting back there (axle )was a zerk fitting but could be a breather - I'll have a good second look.
When it comes to repacking wheel bearing have you done it yet? Did you have it done or do it yourself? If it was a DIY project anything you can tell me about doing it would be appreciated
I have 65,800 miles on my 378 and my Commercial Ford dealer Mechanic said... After checking for noise and looseness that everything is still good with front wheel bearings and seals.

I do have plans in 2020 to replace all the brake pads and rotors and at that time will tell them to replace/repack front wheel bearings and replace seals if they have.

That's the best I can tell you what I'm planning.

I have about 6,000 miles planned later in 2019 and
next year (2020) we may get 10,000 more miles if my plans stay solid.
So you can see I'm planning my maintenance ahead of next years plans.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:19 AM   #7

Iggy thanks for update. Last year I took both the scheduled maintenance for the Ford Chassis and the one for the Georgetown and combined them into monthly,6 month and yearly checklists. Repacking the bearings appeared as a yearly item in the Georgetown owners manual but it certainly makes more sense to package it with planned events like brakes or tire replacement when the tires are off.
Safe travels.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:09 PM   #8
Seasoned Camper-MH newbie

I found I am needing to replace zerk fitting # 7 with a 90 degree fitting, as I like my locking/quick release grease gun coupler, and just no clearance to get to that fitting. I think that will serve me better overall, rather than switching to using a right angle coupler.

PS, I see the Georgetown manual recommending repacking bearings as a 12 month interval, but the F53 motorhome manual has front bearing replacement at 60000 miles (or 30000 with trailer towing)
Old 09-16-2019, 01:31 PM   #9

Before you run out and buy a 90degree zerk try turning the steering wheel . If this is the zerk I think it is , by turning the front wheels you'll move things to the point you can get at it. Inso far as wheel bearing packing thanks for catching that. I'll adjust my maintenance sheets

Tags
cat