Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2020, 11:48 AM   #1

Macerator hose for home use?

Hi friends! Checking to see if anyone is using a macerator and hose for home dumps. I may need to use the RV for a family member. The clean out is about 50 feet from the RV and all flat. What type of hose could do the trick without breaking the bank. Will a 3/4 inch hose work or does it need to be 1 inch? I'll have about 10 feet of 3 inch dump hose going into the macerator and then about 45-50 feet of hose from the macerator to the clean out.

Was thinking about this from amazon....

https://www.amazon.com/Fittings-Flex...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Old 12-21-2020, 11:54 AM   #2

I use a 3/4" hose with no issues. Only possible downside i see in a 3/4 hose versus 1 inch is time it would take to empty tank and the longer run time for the pump.

Instructions ususlly limit run time to prevent pump heating. If it takes more thsn 10 minutes, just take a pause and finish after short cool down.

From your description I don't see any real issues.

It doesn't sound like there will be much lift so it's just a matter of fitting the waste through the hose[emoji57]

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 01:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclinton View Post
Hi friends! Checking to see if anyone is using a macerator and hose for home dumps. I may need to use the RV for a family member. The clean out is about 50 feet from the RV and all flat. What type of hose could do the trick without breaking the bank. Will a 3/4 inch hose work or does it need to be 1 inch? I'll have about 10 feet of 3 inch dump hose going into the macerator and then about 45-50 feet of hose from the macerator to the clean out.

Was thinking about this from amazon....

https://www.amazon.com/Fittings-Flex...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

sounds like you may have a long time situation, there should be a way to adapt pvc pipe to your outlet and run it to the drain, 3/4 or 1", either should work fine, ... we use the "Sewer Solution", which is a macerator system that uses a water jet to breakup solids and push everything to the drain instead of using an electric pump, and I use 3/4" pvc pipe pieces whenever the SS hose needs to be a little longer, ... there have been times that I emptied the tanks at home, using two 10ft SS hoses and two 10ft pieces of 3/4" pvc pipe, works great and much less expensive than buying more of the SS hoses, ... I would NOT use a hose that is flat in it's natural state for any low pressure flow, I'm sure your flow would be affected by that, ....

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 01:45 PM   #4

We use a FloJet RV Waste Pump and 75' of 5/8" garden hose to pump into our septic system. Basically a flat run. If you still like to drink from the garden hose, you may want to paint the end black as a reminder.
BigGuy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 05:48 PM   #5

Last October I had to use a Macerator because the local Black tank dumps closed Oct 1st.

I use an old 3/4" garden hose. I used clear sewer pipe to monitor to pump and flush out the hose. After the dump I used air to blow the water out of the hose.

Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 06:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
Last October I had to use a Macerator because the local Black tank dumps closed Oct 1st.

I use an old 3/4" garden hose. I used clear sewer pipe to monitor to pump and flush out the hose. After the dump I used air to blow the water out of the hose.

The clear elbow is a good idea although if using a Flojet macerator it should have a flush connection built in which accepts a regular garden hose fitting.

If using a Flowjet, save money the plain elbows are less $$.

Also, when done using my discharge hose I just disconnect from macerator and run water through it until it's flushed out. Painting the end black is certainly a good idea but in my case, the hose I use is clearly suitable ONLY for discharging sewage

Old 12-21-2020, 07:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
The clear elbow is a good idea although if using a Flojet macerator it should have a flush connection built in which accepts a regular garden hose fitting.

If using a Flowjet, save money the plain elbows are less $$.

Also, when done using my discharge hose I just disconnect from macerator and run water through it until it's flushed out. Painting the end black is certainly a good idea but in my case, the hose I use is clearly suitable ONLY for discharging sewage
I bought a Flojet 'clone' Amarine Made 12V Self-priming RV Macerator Pump for $70.
Old 12-22-2020, 02:11 PM   #8

Regarding your choice of hose. Ever see a dry firehose? A collapsible fabric-covered hose may have several pinhole leaks that seal up as the hose "soaks" up and the fabric expands. With plain water, these are little more than a nuisance. With black water, you may regret the choice.

Get a real, 3/4" hose. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Element-...00CC/202210366

I also agree with the clear elbow - with backflush - adapter. You'll want to be sure the garden hose is well flushed out before shutting down. The clear elbow will enable you to see that a good supply of "clean" water is running through the macerator and hose before shutting down.

As for a complete dump...
Agitation is your friend. A stationary black tank gets no agitation. Solids may build up under the toilet. Be prepared to bring a "dirty" garden hose into your coach, turn off the freshwater supply from the shore (and the water pump), open the lid of the toilet, open the flush valve, and jet fairly high pressure water straight down into the black tank below...and rinse out the lower part of the toilet while you're at it.

Typically, a plain hose end with just a 1/4 turn ball valve as a shutoff, is all you need for this. The 1/4 turn ball valve is smaller than the hose, so it creates a bit of pressure from the hose end...along with a LOT of freshwater. It will dislodge any solids built up in the bottom of the black tank.

When done, if you have a black tank flush, use that, too.

If you seem to get a good, complete dump, great, but more often than not, without the agitation of going down the road, a black tank may only dump partially. The agitation tends to emulsify the solids, and without that action, they just precipitate out and sit there.

P.S. my "dirty" hose has both a 1/4 turn ball valve AND a quick connect on it. I permanently installed a male quick connect on my black tank flush. My dirty hose first jets water down the toilet, then snaps onto the black tank flush to finish the job. These two steps take about 3 or 4 minutes total, and they can be done while actively dumping.

Also note that grey water adds a LOT of waste to the flow through the macerator. Be prepared to let the macerator rest. My grey tank takes several minutes to dump by itself.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 03:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy87 View Post
We use a FloJet RV Waste Pump and 75' of 5/8" garden hose to pump into our septic system. Basically a flat run. If you still like to drink from the garden hose, you may want to paint the end black as a reminder.
I bought a brown hose (all my others are white for potable and green general use) from Harbor Freight just for my macerator.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 03:20 PM   #10

I use a 100' 3/4" hose when I get home to take care of any residue. I'm using a marine macerator pump and it has no problems pumping about 90'. Takes longer to set it up and clean it afterwards than to actually pump to the sewer line.
Old 12-22-2020, 03:31 PM   #11

The hose linked in #8 is like what I use, so-called contractor grade. Works fine from the trailer in the driveway to a bathroom just off the garage and probably 5 or 6 feet higher than the driveway. Not even the city can find my sanitary sewer cleanout so I use the toilet. Hose is tied down securely -- very securely!

I ain't waiting in the dump line while the obliviots back flush and BS with each other and then wash up without moving their trailer.

-- Chuck
Old 12-22-2020, 03:38 PM   #12

Here's another thought to consider. I assume you are dumping into a personal septic system, and that it will be a regular event for some time to come. When considering how to do it in my system, the distance from my RV parking pad to the septic tank was long enough that my best solution was an external tank with wheels that I could then roll to the septic and dump, I contacted the professional that inspects my septic system because Minnesota requires an "operating license" for septic systems that includes a professional inspection before the license is issued every couple of years.

The first thing the fellow asked me was "Do you use the chemical packets to kill smell in the RV black water tank?" I said yes, and he advised me to stop using the packets if I was considering doing this on a regular basis because the chemicals in the packets would be damaging to the "good" bacteria in the septic system. He said he would recommend I not proceed with my plan.

Well, I already had the external tank, but I've held off on using it because of what he said, so I don't know how critical his recommendation was, but considering it cost me $30,000 several years back to replace my septic system, I prefer to err on the safe side for now.
fkampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 04:12 PM   #13

I use a sewer solution macerator which uses a water hose instead of grinder pump. I purchased 3/4 inch clear plastic tubing and connectors from Lowes. 50 feet is easily doable as long as it isn't an uphill run of more than three feet. I connected some 1 1/4 inch pvc pipe from the sewer line to outside with a shut off valve in the line. A readily available adapter from the tubing to the pvc. Works great. I even ran it through a basement window for awhile. (unfinished basement) I use the same set up adjusting the length of the tubing when at a full hookup campsite.
RStormC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 05:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkampa View Post

The first thing the fellow asked me was "Do you use the chemical packets to kill smell in the RV black water tank?" I said yes, and he advised me to stop using the packets if I was considering doing this on a regular basis because the chemicals in the packets would be damaging to the "good" bacteria in the septic system. He said he would recommend I not proceed with my plan.

There are SOME chemicals that are harmful to Septic Systems but there are many that aren't. For example I use a product called "Odorlos" which is "Septic Safe". It contains no chemicals like formaldehyde which kills those bacteria.

The biggest issue in dumping into septic systems is knowing how your system is designed and dumping into the correct place. Best way is to dump into a cleanout at or near the house so you're sure the waste is going into the system in the same manner as it does from your house. Some people have dumped into the wrong places (merely because they found access) like the discharge distribution box that sends treated water out to the leech field. That can end up plugging it up and stopping the entire process resulting in really big repairs.

There are other chemicals beside Odorlos but I like it as it's simple to use and I have ZERO smell issues from the tank. Also no TP issues with sensors.

Old 12-22-2020, 08:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
i bought a flojet 'clone' amarine made 12v self-priming rv macerator pump for $70.
Here are pictures of my macerator setup. I have a short clear hose after pump before the 3/4" hose.
Pictures taken Oct 19, 2020 after back-flushing the lines.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Macerator Pump 2 20201019_161946.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	429.3 KB
ID:	244961

I also have a clear elbow at the cleanout pipe. I put the original 5" cleanout cap back on when I was done.

Name:	Macerator Pump 3 20201019_162242.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	338.6 KB
ID:	244962

The 3/4" hose is a gray industrial grade hose that is over twenty years old. I always drain hose after use before storing in my shed.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:26 PM   #16

Yep, used a Flojet for years for home dumps into a cleanout. Greatest thing you can do for your RV. It allows you to drive home with a few gallons in your black tank which completely breaks everything up. Also allows to pump into portable tank in the back of your truck, easy dump out later. I used a 1" hose for about 60', 1" is less stress on the pump. Once when at a friends house I had to pump another 50' to his septic tank. I bought a 50' 4" water pump hose and cable tied it to the 1" hose, worked great.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
Yep, used a Flojet for years for home dumps into a cleanout. Greatest thing you can do for your RV. It allows you to drive home with a few gallons in your black tank which completely breaks everything up. Also allows to pump into portable tank in the back of your truck, easy dump out later. I used a 1" hose for about 60', 1" is less stress on the pump. Once when at a friends house I had to pump another 50' to his septic tank. I bought a 50' 4" water pump hose and cable tied it to the 1" hose, worked great.
About 30 years ago I needed a way to dump from my TT to a septic tank. Didn't have a macerator then (and don't even know if the ones we have today were available then). My solution was to buy a 3" adapter for my trailer discharge down to 1-1/2 ABS pipe. Got a bag full of male and female threaded adapters and started putting pipe together just like drill stem is connected on well drilling rigs. When I got to the cleanout it was just a matter of using a piece of pump discharge hose and a couple clamps.

When done I just unscrewed the pipe and flushed with the garden hose as I went. Stored the pipe under the TT until the next dump.

My late wife was using the TT as an apartment at our Daughter's house while up here in WA from our CO home where I was still working.

Was pretty cheap as I recall.

Old 12-22-2020, 11:52 PM   #18

I use a 75 foot contractor grade 5/8 in. hose and connect to my sewer cleanout using an adaptor that I made by drilling and tapping a 4 in. PVC cleanout plug and screwing in a short 3/4" brass nipple with a hose connector. This makes it very easy when I need to connect the hose using a female to female hose connector and I cap it off with a brass cap when not in use.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Macerator Connector 1 .jpg
Views:	112
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	244979   Click image for larger version

Name:	Macerator Connector.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	244980  
Jim-LP240FS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:57 AM   #19

My hundred dollar setup I used on my Jayco and now use with my new Surveyor

I wanted a way to dump black and grey at home. Most of the kits I found were around $300, put this together for about $100.00

Found the sewer connection in my garage

It's slightly uphill from the drain point on my trailer, but it's not a problem with this pump.

Here are the links to the parts I purchased.

Pump $65.99 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XWVMPGH/

2 foot Compartment Hose $21.21 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YJJJMY/

1-1/4 in. x 24 ft. Sump Pump Discharge Hose Kit $11.98 https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...HK24/205618043

1-1/4 in. Plastic Insert Coupling $3.48 https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...5-PL/205618042

Total $102.66
SmackIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 03:26 PM   #20

Not to muddy the water, but in many states the size of the septic tank and leech field required by code is based on the number of bathrooms in the house. Using an RV as an additional living space would increase the tank size required. Now, I don't know if the codes build in extra capacity to the formula, and the responses from folks dumping into septic systems successfully may make this comment moot, but it may be worthwhile to find a local source to ask the question. With the current cost of septic repairs and construction, let alone the potential mess, you probably wouldn't want to risk an overflow.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote