Old 01-08-2020, 12:45 AM   #1

Maintenance Report - 2012 Georgetown XL 378TS 73,000 miles

Happy New Year my friends
Update Jan 7, 2020, on how my 2012 Georgetown XL 378TS
(Ford chassis was a 2011 and Forest River finished build Oct 2012)
Iím the original owner and have rolled since April 2012 all over the USA, Northern Mexico, the Canadian Maritime area all the way up to Newfoundland, Alberta Canada and a little ways in Ontario Canada.

No Iím not a full timer and still have a home in the Arizona.
I just wanted to brief all the new folks as well as my many friends that the Georgetown on the Ford V-10 chassis is a battle tank if you take care of it. I will review all the chassis mods that I have done in the first few years to make the drive pleasant and easy.

2012 Ė Has all the say issues other have had with little minor issues as I call them, leaking hydrauyalic lines was my biggest issue but because I complained in the first year I had almost 100% of the lines replace for the levelers and slides.
I also made sure Forest River paid for a front end alignment within the first 90 days of ownership.
After that itís your problem.

I also did the Cheap Handling Fix of both my front and rear sway bars.

2013 Ė I added a rear sway device made by Blue OX that attaches to the differential and the chassis frame to reduce the rear wiggle when truck would come up on my left rear.
It is called Tiger-Trac and cost about $450 and I installed it myself and has worked wonders since installed.
I also installed something many folks have not heard of or used to help stabilize the front steering tires to try and stay true to center and will help keep the rig going straight in case you have a blowout of one of the front tires. It also helps reduce the stress of your hands holding on to the steering wheel.
It is made in the USA in Deming NM and called SteerSafe and was a free install at the place in Deming where this small company builds them. Take a look at them and they cost about $450.
The nice thing is no electronics and all mechanical and the company back them up with free checkups at RV shows and their home base in NM.
Oil & Filter Changes
From 2014 until now Jan 2020 I have maintained engine and drive train and change oil/filter every 4,500 miles or so.

2016 I was up to around 42,000 miles. I was already had 8th oil change and filter.
I also decided to do some preventive maintenance by my local Ford Commercial Truck shop.
Power flushed my brake lines
Flushed and replace automatic transmission fluid (no filter replacement yet)
I also had my cooling system flushed and added new antifreeze fluid.
While in shop they inspected brakes, checked suspension, frontend alignment to name the main things.

2017 Ė At 50,000 miles and 5 plus years on the tires I decided to replace all 6 with Toyo 245/75/22.5 12 ply G rated tires. I also had the frontend aligned at Ford prior to the new tires. That cost me $2,560 which was reasonable with new valve stems and front tire balancing. (as of Jan 2020 they show no wear and drive great)

2018 - 2019 was great years and added lots of miles and as I said at the beginning to 73,000 miles without any tire blowouts or mechanical breakdown.

Nov 2019 Ė I decided we are still healthy and willing to continue our RV journey for a few more years I decided to take my baby back to my Ford Commercial Truck guy and said I wanted him to go over the engine and chassis so we can have another 70,000 uneventful and same miles in coming years. I know the guy and basically told him do what you need to do if it was his motorhome.
Well this is what he did:
Did a brake job all around, pads, caliber, and new disks, power flushed brake lines , repacked front wheel bearing, did a front end alignment and checked all the steering linkages, flushed transmission and replaced filter, oil change and filter, flushed parking brake assembly with new oil, changed rear differential oil, replaced rear axle seals. Replaced serpentine belt, I think thatís allÖ.. He did a electronic check of all the electrical parts and they were good. I asked about spark plugs and he said come back at 100,000 miles lol
OK I bet you want to know how much this cost. Labor and materials was just over $4,000.

2020- Ready!
Am I crazy? Not really. I bought this rolling house to use it and to travel our great country.
I want to do it as easily and safely as possible so I think I have done that. Will we have a issue in the future? Maybe but at least I know I have done as much as I can to help reduce that percentage substantially.
I really tried to get most of the fact and to keep it as short as possible so you wonít fall asleep or die reading this.
We have plans already for mid March and beyond. Mexico, NV, Utah, West Yellowstone National Park and north and west from there. Who know we might run into you.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:50 AM   #2

Good job! That is exactly how I take care of my vehicles. Still need to do my trans fluid this spring. Did he say anything about changing the rear diff fluid. That's on my list, but I have read that it's filled for life. Other than that I'm good to go. We're going on our first long trip with ours this year (we just bought it last year). 2 weeks to the gulf coast and back through Branson MO.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:48 AM   #3

Dodge Guy
I did change the differential oil this past Nov. This was the 1st time and only because I replaced the rear axle seals.

Have fun and enjoy your trips.
Life's to short to worry about the small stuff.

Old 01-08-2020, 10:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Dodge Guy
I did change the differential oil this past Nov. This was the 1st time and only because I replaced the rear axle seals.

Have fun and enjoy your trips.
Life's to short to worry about the small stuff.

I guess whatever makes you feel good inside, but in my opinion you wasted a lot of money. There's no guarantee any of that will prevent any future problems. There are people that spend the bare minimum on just oil changes and have zero issues, changing out fluids before you even hit 100k is a complete waste of money. But like I said, what ever makes you feel good!
H3OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3OHIO View Post
I guess whatever makes you feel good inside, but in my opinion you wasted a lot of money. There's no guarantee any of that will prevent any future problems. There are people that spend the bare minimum on just oil changes and have zero issues, changing out fluids before you even hit 100k is a complete waste of money. But like I said, what ever makes you feel good!
Thanks for your opinion.
To bad you never filled what type of rv you have and how many miles.
So what type of person are you?
Waits until it breaks?

Anyway this thread was to enlighten people who have Georgetown's and plan to use them for many year sand many miles.

So why not tell us what you do on your Georgetown?

Old 01-08-2020, 12:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Itís called preventive maintenance! Leave the fluids alone and Iíll wave as I pass you broken down on the side of the road. Iíve seen the ďleave well enough aloneĒ people. One had a wheel bearing bite the dust. Parked in a truck stop, walked the dog past the trailer and there was no sign of grease to be seen. Even the WD hitch was dry as a bone and worn out from lack of lubrication (you could see the trunnions elongated!). When I see stuff like that, that couldíve been prevented I donít feel sorry. They chose to ignore proper care!

Old 01-08-2020, 01:45 PM   #7

Dodge Guy don't get excited. He's a troll that hangs around and doesn't say much and is just negative no matter what people think or say.
He will leave and go away.

We want more positive thoughts and ideas here.

Old 01-08-2020, 02:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Dodge Guy don't get excited. He's a troll that hangs around and doesn't say much and is just negative no matter what people think or say.
He will leave and go away.

We want more positive thoughts and ideas here.
Iím not a troll
Iím a negative evil person because my opinion differed from yours?
I didnít respond because Iím not here to argue back and forth like child, I expressed my opinion and Iím done. Sorry to disappoint you, have a nice day!
Old 01-08-2020, 02:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks for your opinion.
To bad you never filled what type of rv you have and how many miles.
So what type of person are you?
Waits until it breaks?

Anyway this thread was to enlighten people who have Georgetown's and plan to use them for many year sand many miles.

So why not tell us what you do on your Georgetown?
I think you made a sound decision, especially on the transmission fluid. I'll be changing my F250 fluid at 30,000. Sounds like you have a great rig! Happy trails!
boogiejack75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:33 PM   #10

Quote:
I’m not a troll
I’m a negative evil person because my opinion differed from yours?
I didn’t respond because I’m not here to argue back and forth like child, I expressed my opinion and I’m done. Sorry to disappoint you, have a nice day!
Sure sounds like you nailed yourself to a T.
And so did I express my opinion of what you said.
Get over yourself and move along.

Old 01-08-2020, 03:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Sure sounds like you nailed yourself to a T.
And so did I express my opinion of what you said.
Get over yourself and move along.
Get over myself?
LOL, youíre the one having the meltdown, Iím fine!
Old 01-08-2020, 03:41 PM   #12

After sitting on the sidelines, I had to comment on preventative maintenance.

Why would you take a chance rolling down the highway in a 22000 lb RV and say, well the brakes aren't grinding I guess they are okay!

Fluid changes monitoring brakes, belts etc is providing a level of safety for yourself and others on the highway.

I guess i developed this after being a boat owner for 30 years. I never want to break down on the water for something I should have checked at the dock.

Happy New Year to my fellow Georgetown owners!

2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Silver Bullet
seasure1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:03 PM   #13

Maintenance Report - 2012 Georgetown XL 378TS 73,000 miles

A story of warning for you all.
I took my 2013 Coachman Miranda to my local Ford dealer for an oil change. While there I was talked into a transmission service. I think it was only a drain and refill.
Not to long after I was sitting on a bit of a hill and when I tried to go it would not. It was working when I stopped but then nothing.
I played around with the shifter and finally got it to start moving. I pulled over a checked the transmission fluid level and the dipstick was dry, I'm sure I had checked it before but maybe not. I was near an auto parts store and bought some fluid and a transfer pump. Wound up putting 2 GALLONS of fluid. The transmission was completely dry on the outside with no signs of leakage. I have had no issues since.
In summary, always check any work done by someone else, even a dealer!
jk510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk510 View Post
A story of warning for you all.
I took my 2013 Coachman Miranda to my local Ford dealer for an oil change. While there I was talked into a transmission service.................
So did you go back to the Ford dealer who did your transmission service?
I would have been fuming.
But yes, alway check if you can what other so called mechanics did.

Old 01-08-2020, 08:09 PM   #15

Yep, always check other people's work. I'm a tech at a Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram dealer, and even I have missed something once in a while, I have never missed 8 qts of trans fluid, but I have with small things. That why I go over everything I touched 2 or 3 tims in my head before I pull it out the door.

Old 01-08-2020, 09:32 PM   #16

Great post! I'm like you, preventive is a hell of a lot cheaper planned than corrective out on the road. We don't have the mileage you do only having owned our coach a year and a half. That said, we did manage to put over 10,000 miles on the first year.
To date, the only real issue was a slide hydraulic line getting pinched causing all of the hydraulic fluid to escape covering our toad. Less than $100 to fix and maybe an hour of my labor. Other than that it's be as reliable as an anvil.
Mooney 78865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:06 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Don't have a Georgetown. The High temp operation of the V10 in the tight chases dictates good PM. As far as brake fluid everytime the brakes are down I would do a full flush. Good on you Iggy for looking after things.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:07 PM   #18

Monitor your Tire Pressure

One thing I didn't put in my original remarks is to insure you maintain proper tire pressure prior to your trip and during your trip.

I maintain 90 psi all around on my 22.5" tires but actually after leaving Arizona and heading to the NE my tire pressure dropped all around on all 6 tires to 75 psi on the cool morning in Connecticut.

Luckily my tire monitor saw it and I carry my air compressor with my so I added 10 psi all around until I got home here in AZ then reset them to 90 psi.

If you highway drive on long trips you will damage your front steering tires with too low of air. I learned the hard way on my original Michelin front tires.

Old 01-08-2020, 10:39 PM   #19

Thanks Iggy. I also follow most of your ideas. I recycle the oil into my older car and always check others work. Once a mechanic forgot to put three bolts in my car's cross member and sent me home in a FIXED vehicle. I nearly got Killed because he forgot to complete the job. That was in 1981. To this day, I triple check everything. I'll never forget the close call I had. Preventive maintenance always has a payback somewhere down the line.
weatherguru1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:53 AM   #20

Iggy, you didn’t mention the 5 Star tune you installed on the V10, are you still happy with the tune?
I have a 2011 Georgetown 378 TS with 28,000 miles (I need to use it more) and installed the tune also.
I just recently got to know my heavy truck Ford dealer when they did the safety recall for the gear shift indicater, I talked to them about doing some of the things you did a little later.
Thanks for the update.
Tom

TomW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, 378ts, georgetown, maintenance