Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2015, 08:13 AM   #1

Mileage on the Georgetown

My dad is looking at getting into the class A, what is everyone getting for mileage on the Georgetown?
burch42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:44 AM   #2

This is frequently discussed. Mileage varies depending on size of coach, toad and driving conditions. 7mpg or less is about average! Wouldn't consider gas mileage in a decision to buy an RV. None of them get good gas mileage.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:30 AM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
Our neighbor at the recent Goshen rally said his Georgetown XL gets 15mpg on a good day, and 7mpg other days. He also said he's never seen a good day !

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:35 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
Our neighbor at the recent Goshen rally said his Georgetown XL gets 15mpg on a good day, and 7mpg other days. He also said he's never seen a good day !

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:58 AM   #5

We average 7 on our 2014 335DS. but we didn't buy it for the gas mileage, we bought it for the SMT( smiles per Trip) lol
jlkrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:09 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies, reason for the question is my dad is looking to see if it's worth while to go to the diesel pusher, but you can camp and buy a lot of fuel for the 50-70,000$ difference on price between a diesel and a gas RV for used units.

I'm sure we all know that we don't tow a trailer or drive a motor home for fuel efficiency.

My dads Just trying to make an educated decision on the purchase is all

Thanks again for responses and any future ones. Happy camping.
burch42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:40 PM   #7
Fireman

Send a message via AIM to dutch
milage

Bill,

I was going to use Woody's line too. That is too funny.
US Air Force Retire SMS
dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:40 PM   #8

Around 7mpg seems pretty standard. That's about what I get with our 377XL. IMHO a decision on diesel vs. gas based on mileage

2014 Georgetown 377XL
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4X4 Toad
FroggyRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:59 PM   #9

Sorry, hit the wrong button. There are advantages and disadvantages for both. A little back of the envelope math will likely show hundreds of thousands of miles to try to recover the extra purchase price in mileage (not practical). The diesel might get a little better mpg (I've heard numbers from 8 to 12 pretty often), but diesel fuel is generally quite a bit more expensive than gas. General advantages for diesel coaches are power, better ride, quieter cabin, better load capacity, normally much longer engine life, etc. Disadvantages are higher purchase price and higher operating and maintenance cost. Again, IMHO the decision should be based on the expected use from the coach, not mileage. Of course, if money was no object, I'd probably own a nice new diesel pusher😃. However, I'm very satisfied with our 377XL, so far. Good luck!

2014 Georgetown 377XL
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4X4 Toad
FroggyRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:25 AM   #10

my best MPG was coming east across eastern WY and nebraska last summer. tail wind 20-30mph. i wanted to put up as much canvas as i could, but didn't have any . for about 500 miles i did 10.9. traveling 60-62 MPH (i find that is my sweet spot speed for best mileage). also tires 100 PSI cold all around (they run 110-118psi ish going down the road, depending on outside temps). jeep behind.

worst mileage was also last summer, on the outbound of the same trip. coming west across ND and into eastern MT. a starboard quartering wind that would alternative to dead on the bow. gusting to 30-40 at times. really glad i had the roadmaster front and rear track bars. if i had the sumo springs also they would have helped for sure. when the wind would switch back and forth in direction, the coach would move alot, but never felt unsafe. but it was always two hands on the wheel and very focused driving; the most tiring 450 or so miles i have ever driven in any vehicle, bar none. the rest areas and exit ramps were full of semi's and coaches pulled over, resting, waiting for it to stop. barely a cloud in the sky, of course, and i needed to get to portland, OR on time, so i had to go unless it was totally impassable. on the ponds and lakes out there, there were white caps, it was blowing so hard. mileage you ask ? 4.1mph. due to conditions, slowed down to more like 50-55, and had the jeep behind. again tires 100PSI cold.

my average is around 6.8-7mpg around here in new england. did the run from CT to southwest harbor, ME this summer and averaged 5.8, but i had the genset on the whole time running both AC's. that would account for about a 1mpg, best guess.

from my many, many, many conversations with non exaggerating pusher owners of roughly the same size as our setup, they get about 25% better mileage in all conditions. like has been said, you don't buy the pusher for the mileage, it's all the other reasons. if you want mileage, buy a class B diesel puller. but that's apples and oranges.

Front & Rear Roadmaster Sway Bars
Koni Shocks
Front and Rear Sumo Springs Jounce Replacement
willingtonpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:54 AM   #11

I have a 2008 Georgetown 370 and get 8 mpg towing my car or not towing my car. It doesn't know the difference!
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:46 AM   #12

I have a 2015 378 , getting 8 mpg also , 7 mpg towing a trailer.........
boondocking fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:15 PM   #13

To quote another, its about the SPM and the journey.

That being said I got 7.7 when I first got it, it has been about 7 since then, I have a scanguage on it, going up hills eats fuel. Make certain that all travel is downhill with a strong headwind.
happywhencamping is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown, mileage