Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2019, 02:26 PM   #1

Missing Roof Vent ? What...?

This might apply to other models and brands as well...
We have a venting issue with the grey tank and when the tank gets around 2/3 full you can hear it gurgle up thru the shower drain, occasionally we will get some suds/liquid as well. I assumed a blocked vent on the roof... so up I go with tools in hand, remove the cap to the grey tank vent and BEHOLD there isn't a vent pipe, just the fiberglass roof panel !! the vent device is mounted to the fiberglass roof and doesn't connect to anything... I removed the black tank vent cap and found a black vent line. I radioed my DW to run some water in the sink... nothing. So I asked her to run some water in the toilet and heard that just fine...

So, is the grey tank NOT vented? Vented into the wall cavity? or what ?

Is this kind of chicanery common, I have no idea where to start to find the missing vent from the waste tank !!!

Suggestions ??

2011 GEORGETOWN 337DS
Walter Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:20 PM   #2
FLY4FUN

Gray vent...

...just to be sure I'm understanding -- the cap was actually "installed" (glued or screwed or riveted?) on the roof? No vent pipe extending through the roof (no hole in the roof for a vent pipe)? Incredible! It would seem that some extremely dishonest person intentionally "hid" the very incomplete manufacturing(?). Were it not for the "fake cap" I'd wonder if the vent had been "combined" with the black(?). I can think of no other way to locate (hopefully!?) the vent pipe than to crawl under & find it exiting the tank...then trace (hopefully?) by removing panels, drawers, etc. to find where it's routed & terminates...if, indeed, a pipe was even installed? Yep, this seems to be one of those "I thought I'd seen everything". Keep us posted, please.
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:25 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Pigeon View Post
This might apply to other models and brands as well...
We have a venting issue with the grey tank and when the tank gets around 2/3 full you can hear it gurgle up thru the shower drain, occasionally we will get some suds/liquid as well. I assumed a blocked vent on the roof... so up I go with tools in hand, remove the cap to the grey tank vent and BEHOLD there isn't a vent pipe, just the fiberglass roof panel !! the vent device is mounted to the fiberglass roof and doesn't connect to anything... I removed the black tank vent cap and found a black vent line. I radioed my DW to run some water in the sink... nothing. So I asked her to run some water in the toilet and heard that just fine...

So, is the grey tank NOT vented? Vented into the wall cavity? or what ?

Is this kind of chicanery common, I have no idea where to start to find the missing vent from the waste tank !!!

Suggestions ??
Walter......

Are you talking about the vent cap located on the roof above the co-pilot seat near the right front? I’ll be waiting for you to reply.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:38 PM   #4

Missing Vent

We have a 2011 Georgetown 337DS- The head is located amidships, aft of the entrance door on the Starboard side.... both vents are directly above the bathroom within 18" of each other... The vent from the Black tank functions fine and has a piece of 1 1/2" ABS coming thru the FRP (fiberglass) roofing material terminating in an identical vent cap. The Grey tank is NOT connected to the black vent pipe... I will take a picture of the fake vent cap in the daylight tomorrow morning. The more I consider what someone intentionally did the more it infuriates me !

2011 GEORGETOWN 337DS
Old 12-03-2019, 08:01 AM   #5

Don't have an answer for you but these are supposed to be shots of a 2011 337DS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2786752L.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	220098   Click image for larger version

Name:	2786753L.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	220099  
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:47 AM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
We have a 2011 Georgetown 337DS- The head is located amidships, aft of the entrance door on the Starboard side.... both vents are directly above the bathroom within 18" of each other... The vent from the Black tank functions fine and has a piece of 1 1/2" ABS coming thru the FRP (fiberglass) roofing material terminating in an identical vent cap. The Grey tank is NOT connected to the black vent pipe... I will take a picture of the fake vent cap in the daylight tomorrow morning. The more I consider what someone intentionally did the more it infuriates me !
Ok....without a picture of this vent, I’ll just tell you what IS on the roof of my 2010 Georgetown 330TS.
What appears to be an EXTRA stack vent, is located on the roof over top of the co-pilot seat. I pulled the round plastic cap off, and inside I found coax and a 18 gauge wire. Investigations later concluded that this was the pre-wire by Forest River for satellite TV. Instead of investing a different style of cap, they just used the same cap you find for black tanks.
Have you found anything inside your cap you’re mentioning?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:27 AM   #7

Quote:
The more I consider what someone intentionally did the more it infuriates me !
I think it's just the cover for a junction for a sat dish connection? Possibly.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Ok....without a picture of this vent, I’ll just tell you what IS on the roof of my 2010 Georgetown 330TS.
What appears to be an EXTRA stack vent, is located on the roof over top of the co-pilot seat. I pulled the round plastic cap off, and inside I found coax and a 18 gauge wire. Investigations later concluded that this was the pre-wire by Forest River for satellite TV. Instead of investing a different style of cap, they just used the same cap you find for black tanks.
Have you found anything inside your cap you’re mentioning?
Just the FRP roofing and some dirt...

2011 GEORGETOWN 337DS
Old 12-03-2019, 10:45 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'm guessing both tanks are plumbed into the same vent tube. The reason you hear gurgling through the shower could be because the vent may be sticking down into the gray tank too far and forcing air through the shower drain. I'm with others, in that the other pseudo vent is most likely for satellite/solar wiring.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Don't have an answer for you but these are supposed to be shots of a 2011 337DS
Interesting... one vent... If this is your rig do you encounter the same back-up in the shower ? I had the DW run water while I listened at the vent pipe (Black) and heard nothing... if the used a common out let you would think you would hear running water. And why would someone put a phony second vent head up there ?

2011 GEORGETOWN 337DS
Old 12-03-2019, 11:00 AM   #11

My unit a 2012 x 360 has internal auto vents on the grey tanks. If you search for grey tank vent valves you may find a similar units.
Bill m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I'm guessing both tanks are plumbed into the same vent tube. The reason you hear gurgling through the shower could be because the vent may be sticking down into the gray tank too far and forcing air through the shower drain. I'm with others, in that the other pseudo vent is most likely for satellite/solar wiring.
I am starting to think the tank vents are together... when the grey tank is near full, if the vent pipe is "in solution" I wouldn't hear water running as the vent would be essentially muted. I also discovered individual auto (Schluder) vents under each of the other sinks. I can buy the though of the extra vent was intended for a solar installation but there isn't anything there to indicated it's purpose.

2011 GEORGETOWN 337DS
Old 12-03-2019, 11:18 AM   #13

Thanx to all who opined !

I want to send a shout out to everyone who offered a reason for the venting issue... This site has been invaluable in our RV lifestyle and I hope it is around for years to come !

Thanx Again,
Walt C

2011 GEORGETOWN 337DS
Old 12-03-2019, 06:01 PM   #14
NXR

I'm not certain the venting is adequate on any of the tanks, When we dump either gray or black the flow starts to slow down and then surges in the hose and you can hear it doing something in the tank(s). I need to close the dump valve halfway to stop the surging and noise from the tank and once it calms down I can open the valve fully and then it finishes up.

When our fresh water tank is full the water pump surges, fast-slow-fast-slow-fast-slow. If taking a shower with a full fresh water tank you can run out of pressure and the pump goes to a high-speed sound, as if its pulling against a vacuum. Turn the shower head off, the pump slows down and you have pressure again. If the fresh water tank is only half-full this does not happen.

Ray
Old 12-03-2019, 08:25 PM   #15

Yes, they should be plumbed together. The gray is probably lower in e tank so you don't hear the water running.
Now we need to figure why someone would go through the trouble of installing a fake cap?

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:40 PM   #16
Btm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
I'm not certain the venting is adequate on any of the tanks, When we dump either gray or black the flow starts to slow down and then surges in the hose and you can hear it doing something in the tank(s). I need to close the dump valve halfway to stop the surging and noise from the tank and once it calms down I can open the valve fully and then finishes.

Ray
Mine does exactly same thing. I have thought it was some type of airlock, because the exit pipe diameter is 3 inch and the vents are smaller 1-1/2 or 2 inch. My reason for thinking this is because once it caused a flat spot about 2 foot long in the sewer hose.

Walter

Another thought -- Maybe it was being prepped for satellite, but then found out it was not an option ordered on this coach--better to leave the dummy hole than patch roof

Btm
CHF rear, CHF front, Sumo springs front
Btm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:13 AM   #17

I’ve got a Georgetown 328 TS. The vent for the grey tank is in the cabinet under the bathroom sink. If I screw up and let that tank get too full, it will overflow out the shower drain.
Scagsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:00 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scagsdale View Post
I’ve got a Georgetown 328 TS. The vent for the grey tank is in the cabinet under the bathroom sink. If I screw up and let that tank get too full, it will overflow out the shower drain.
Me thinks what you are referring to is the anti- siphon trap vent (possibly the black tank flush vacuum breaker/backflow preventer). If the gray tank vent was inside the unit your coach would always smell like a gray holding tank. Check your roof for at least 2 vents.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:04 AM   #19

Quote:
Interesting... one vent... If this is your rig do you encounter the same back-up in the shower ? I had the DW run water while I listened at the vent pipe (Black) and heard nothing... if the used a common out let you would think you would hear running water. And why would someone put a phony second vent head up there ?
I have a GT378. These are just pictures of units like yours (same year and model) that I found to illustrate only one roof vent.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Me thinks what you are referring to is the anti- siphon trap vent (possibly the black tank flush vacuum breaker/backflow preventer). If the gray tank vent was inside the unit your coach would always smell like a gray holding tank. Check your roof for at least 2 vents.

There is only one vent on my roof, and when the grey tank gets full, I smell it where the vent is.
Scagsdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof, vent