Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2020, 06:09 PM   #21

I left a message for Nick. Hoping to hear back from him soon.
pojoGTH5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:31 PM   #22
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pojoGTH5 View Post
I left a message for Nick. Hoping to hear back from him soon.
He is one extremely busy person. I've read many compliments from people who said he helped them out a lot. I think he used to be the Warranty Manager for the Georgetown line.

Ray
Old 07-07-2020, 08:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
He is one extremely busy person. I've read many compliments from people who said he helped them out a lot. I think he used to be the Warranty Manager for the Georgetown line.

Ray
SAM WEIDNER JR. is now the warranty manager. I dealt with him in March directly he was just great. Personally handled my issues that I've had since 2018 when I bought my new Georgetown GT5 model 31L5. Took him to get this finally repaired right.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:19 AM   #24
Commercial Member

Just to follow up...we are in direct communication with the customer and are working to resolve the issue. Supposed to be at our facility today actually.

The customer confirmed there was nothing burnt, it just smelled burnt and that it was not mounted incorrectly (as I think we see in the thread) they just had an older manual.

Our goal is to get it corrected and back on the road in time to take their trip this weekend.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:06 PM   #25

Quote:
This problem plagues both the 2019 and 2020 model years. We caught it when my wife heard something odd and stopped the slide extension so there was no damage. My unit is currently at the factory waiting for the transport service to deliver it back. I specifically asked for that issue to be resolved so we'll see what, if anything, was done to correct it.

Some people's dealers have put an elastic strap underneath to help pull it along. Success has been elusive, though.

I've noticed it happen more at 50 degrees and below so I'm sure it's just the plastic stiffening up. So for now I watch the chain with a flashlight while it's moving and push it down the hole if needed. Not optimal but it works.
Sorry for the delay in reporting this fix but my Rig needed some body repair due to some damage on my last boondocking trip at the end of February (That's a whole nother story that I'm still trying to live down...lol). Some warranty items and my partial paint job were delayed due to Covid and the businesses being closed due to Nevada phases of response. Everything is now completed and the chain issue was one such item.

My "cat track" chain never actually broke but did bunch up and get caught when the slide was going out (did pop out some wood behind it which was easily repaired by the dealer). It had problems going down into the hole into the storage compartment. I would have to babysit as the slide was going out. Final fix on my end was that our service tech William wove an elastic band through the chain (like the elastic in a waistband but stronger). Not sure if he did that in conjunction with the elastic strap he also originally used on the other end but it was effective and now it works perfectly. Here's a pic when the slide is all the way in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1481 elastic.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	233708  
TominVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:33 PM   #26
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominVegas View Post
My "cat track" chain never actually broke but did bunch up and get caught when the slide was going out (did pop out some wood behind it which was easily repaired by the dealer). It had problems going down into the hole into the storage compartment. I would have to babysit as the slide was going out. Final fix on my end was that our service tech William wove an elastic band through the chain (like the elastic in a waistband but stronger). Not sure if he did that in conjunction with the elastic strap he also originally used on the other end but it was effective and now it works perfectly. Here's a pic when the slide is all the way in.
I just got mine back from the factory for some repairs the dealer could not handle. This issue was right up there because I do have to babysit it each time. I definitely feel it’s temperature-related because it does not happen when it’s hot but pretty much always happens when it’s 50 or so or colder.

I don’t know what was done to correct it, something, I hope, because I haven’t gotten the work order copy yet and I haven’t dug into everything yet. I definitely do not have anything visible like you showed, though.

Is the other end anchored to anything, like structure? Or is it just kind of keeping the links taught?

What I find really odd is that the 36B5, the bunk bed model of the GT5, has two of those things. One is right behind the driver on the recliner slide and the other is on the bunk slide. But they don’t seem to have the same problem. My buddy with a 36B5 says he has watched his because of the problems I’ve had and he says his snakes right down the hole.

Ray
Old 07-13-2020, 08:16 AM   #27

Thanks to all at the factory service center in Elkhart for repairing my transfer switch! Everyone was very eager to get the issue resolved. After replacement, we connected shore power and tried to diagnose the front AC thermostat problem. The stat worked fine. Got home and started generator to run AC, thermostat continually blinked on/off and would not start front AC.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:43 AM   #28

Not sure where you live but after months of frustration with the dealers inept service department and manager I contacted the FR's East Coast Rep. Who was very helpful getting things moving with them and from I was told by my buddy who works at this dealership it was because dealers make a lot less money per hr. doing warranty work vs. Non-warranty work so you can guess what wins out. Many times I'd head up after no word, no reply to emails as well as VM, for several weeks to find out it wasn't even looked at. If I recall back a year or so ago FR sent out a letter to the dealers that cost was not going to be covered if issues they worked on were not fixed the first time unless it was extenuating circumstances. Cant blame FR for that direction. So how much effort will they put into it if it came back a second or a third time especially during peak summer times in NE. My advice is to move it up to the rep. if your dealer isn't fixing it. As I mentioned earlier this year I moved it up to the FR warranty director who helped resolved several issues like the main slide not deploying or retracting. This issue was a problem almost from the beginning ruined more than one vacation. I'm not saying jump to him but I'd find out who the Rep. that covers your region or zone. Sometimes the dealer will tell you, other times the forum might be able to help and still other times a call to FR directly might be the answer. Seems not everyone has this many issues, but I did, and I ran into 2 others with the same model yr. as mine who did as well. In one case this guy and he was a retired RV tech. who had it worse, fighting FR to replace his Rig as he had water coming in when it rained. He actually showed me one day when it was raining. Ironically last year FR came out with a recall on fixing the roof because of water leaks. Sorry for rambling its frustrating, anyway somethings I opted to fix like the sliding door slide pulling off the ceiling bc they used sheetmetal screws instead of wood screws but somethings you need them to fix and rightfully so they should. Wish you luck.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:57 AM   #29
NXR

Quote:
Thanks to all at the factory service center in Elkhart for repairing my transfer switch! Everyone was very eager to get the issue resolved. After replacement, we connected shore power and tried to diagnose the front AC thermostat problem. The stat worked fine. Got home and started generator to run AC, thermostat continually blinked on/off and would not start front AC.
I'm thinking you need to move to Indiana where the weather will at least be marginally better.

Which thermostat is this, the front one or the bedroom one? Or both?

The thermostat runs off the 12 VDC side, not the 120 VAC side, so you should see the same behavior on shore power, generator, or just the house batteries. Do you?

Right above the touchscreen is the Xantrex inverter panel. It shows the house 12-volt system actual voltage. What does it show when the blinking occurs?

The air conditioning won't run on just the house batteries, of course, but I think the thermostat will still power up so it can run the 12 VDC propane furnace.

Please consider clicking on User CP at the top left on the light green bar, scrolling down to Edit Signature, and adding your RV details there like I have. That makes it a whole lot easier for people to to give you accurate answers.

Ray
Old 07-13-2020, 11:09 AM   #30
Commercial Member

Quote:
1. did you give the gen time to get to speed? It takes some time for the gen to kick in....90 seconds maybe?

2. Do you have AC power everywhere else? If the breaker on the gen is tripped, the gen will run, but you will not get power. So the T-tsat maybe nbe operable, but the A/C will not run.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:33 AM   #31

Quote:
I responded to this on your other post but I'll repost it here so others can see. I will add that when I had my issue, it was intermittent. Happened before the road trip and couldn't get it to do it again when at the dealer. Then started doing it again on the road :

I'm going to guess it's a wiring issue or loose connection. I had a similar problem where all the lights flashed on and off and I had to disconnect power to reset it. But on my thermostats they had removed the plugs and used closed end crimp wire connectors to connect the wires. I removed it and replaced the wire caps (was on the road at the time) and mine hasn't done it again. I've seen a few other posts with flashing thermostat as the issue.

You can call Dometic customer support or try a message to wtroyer01. He is a manager for Dometic that covers Forest River and on the forums occasionally.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...01-138741.html
Old 07-13-2020, 11:37 AM   #32
Commercial Member

But if that was the case, why is it working fine on shore power???

Old 07-13-2020, 11:45 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
But if that was the case, why is it working fine on shore power???
I believe it was happening on either. May be a different issue but here is his other post:

My 2019 GT5 has had an issue with the front AC unit. The T-stat will blink on and off like on a low battery situation with a digital device. You can't turn the AC off when in this condition. If I disconnect power (either shore or Gen.) the AC will stop. But, reconnecting power the AC will start back up in the mode it was in when power was shut of. Go back and check after awhile, the T-stat is showing temp setting and all appropriate indicator lights and working properly. The AC then can be turned off with the stat. The rear T-stat has always worked properly so I switched the 2 stats around. The same things happen with the front AC unit so the T-stat is not the issue. Had the gen. running yesterday for AC while going down the road. The T-stat would go off, then blink on and off, then work for awhile. I have had it into 2 dealer visits, and even and the Factory Service Center and I could not get it to repeat the condition. Got it home, plugged it in and the T-stat would only blink. These problems are hard to trouble shoot.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...es-211292.html
Old 07-13-2020, 12:32 PM   #34
NXR

So what exactly is blinking? Just the LED readout? Or the little rectangular LED lights? Or all of them? Or some of them? How fast is the blinking in blinks per second (approximately)?

While it does not address this specific issue directly, I attached the service manual anyway in case someone is interested.

Note that the web site referenced in the manual, https://www.askforatwood.com/ no longer exists, though. The manual is from Oct. 2013 so I guess that's not surprising.

The INTERROGATION MODE looks interesting because it lets you query certain sensors.

From Page 17: If an unusual figure is displayed, it might be attributed to the vehicle’s DC power supply or the vehicle’s DC converter being out of adjustment.

From Page 20: The display panel has an unusual display of numerals however the unit performs normally on AC power:

1: This is a sign of a poor waveform being generated. Advise client to have generator repaired or replaced with a higher quality unit.

So if this is ONLY happening on generator then there might be a problem with the generator producing a non-sinusoidal waveform but I suspect only an Onan shop could diagnose that. This would be my very last guess since the Onan is not an inverter generator.

I can see a poor ground, one that is high resistance, causing this problem. But without Georgetown wiring diagrams being available it's anyone's guess how the structure is bonded or where things are connected.

Ray
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Atwood-AirCommand-Air-Conditioner-Service-Manual.pdf (1.44 MB, 16 views)
Old 07-16-2020, 07:38 PM   #35

Thankful my problems with my 2019 30x3 are normal. Maybe a little more than I’ve had with other units but this guy has more components. My one year warranty goes till Nov so still time to get stuff on their list.

Going in next week for a minor thing: the tank level indicator board gave up the ghost. Took them six weeks to get the part and another month to get scheduled.

I’ve given up on them fixing whatever causes the leveling jack breaker to pop from time to time. Now that I know the symptoms and where it is I just reset it.

They seem to have succeeded in fixing my slide slapping sound problem. Just needed proper recalibration.

My gripe now is with Ford. The ford AC doesn’t work. Took it in and they said fluid was gone but they couldn’t find leak. Refilled it. Worked about 3 days. They get another shot at it next week. Any suggestions for them appreciated.

Otherwise generally meets my expectations. Had to do a few things up front to compensate for idiotic design choices (like caps underneath to drain water...requiring crawling underneath with tools to drain so water can cascade on you: put in a couple of $2 valves, and adding a 12 v recepticle in bedroom to run CPAP...millenial designers think you need 4 usbs which run nothing). And as usual a new mattress...modified board for queen size so now have storage on each side of mattress. Still pissed about poor quality workmanship leaving unsanded plywood under bed and seats but functionally ok.
Old 07-20-2020, 04:08 AM   #36

Quote:
The numbers match. RCD is a terrible RV dealer!!! When we looked at the unit in Nov. 2019, I knew it had been sitting a long time. The chassis batt. was dead and they had to jump it to get it started. When they finally got it started, went to put the dinning slide out and there was a god awful grinding snapping noise. The plastic roller chain was still broken. They said they fixed it and when we made the deal and went back to pick it up, the slide went in and out fine. Got home (4hr.drive) put the slide out to show the kids and the chain broke again. I have made the 4hr. drive to RCD 3 times now for repairs and I will never go back!!! I would like to stop in and dump my black water tank in their parking lot, but that would be illegal.
When we were shopping we very quickly narrowed down to only a couple dealers we would buy from and just as quickly eliminated the idea of buying any dealer stock. Particularly anything that had been in inventory for a bit for the very reasons you describe. It turns out, RV dealers can be terrible RV owners.
2018 Chevy Spark
Formerly - 2007 Itasca Navion (Sold and gone)
Mr. October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:31 AM   #37
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. October View Post
It turns out, RV dealers can be terrible RV owners.
That's a great observation. RV dealers may be more like bad short-term renters.

Ray
Old 07-23-2020, 11:00 PM   #38

Quote:
So what exactly is blinking? Just the LED readout? Or the little rectangular LED lights? Or all of them? Or some of them? How fast is the blinking in blinks per second (approximately)?
Ray
Interestingly enough it happened again last night and this morning. On Shore power and thermostat (front unit) display blinked several times on thermostat then went blank. This happened a couple times. Fiddled with it a bit and after turning power by flipping the breaker it stopped and has been working fine all day. I took a video and will call the dealer when I'm back in town ( I also have the video from it first happened back in June of 2019 or so.). I can upload it when i'm back on wifi if anyone is interested.

I will add that they recently replaced some boards that changed the way the heat pumps operate... Now the question is can I get it to duplicate it again when I have someone look at it. Since it never happened again after the first time it got closed out but it's on file as an issue before my warranty expired and I believe the Dometic/Atwood has a two year warranty.

Let me add that I was on the road the first time it happened and got great phone support from Forest River who even offered to find a place for me to have it looked at but since it stopped I didn't take them up on the offer. Of course since we couldn't duplicate it when we got back home and was working fine it got closed out.
Old 07-24-2020, 10:23 AM   #39
Commercial Member

Are you in contact with Forest River Service? 574-206-7600.
jcavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:25 PM   #40

Well, shore power ATS contactor not pulling in again!!! Factory service replaced the original ATS last summer. Went out to prep for a short trip and no power. Works fine on generator transfer. I am absolutely fed up with this FR product!!! Never again!!!!