Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2020, 03:14 PM   #41
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pojoGTH5 View Post
Well, shore power ATS contactor not pulling in again!!! Factory service replaced the original ATS last summer. Went out to prep for a short trip and no power. Works fine on generator transfer. I am absolutely fed up with this FR product!!! Never again!!!!
The automatic transfer switch is not a Forest River product. It's a Progressive Dynamics product and they usually have a two year warranty. That company also has an excellent reputation.

While there is no shore power connected and the generator is not running, remove the one screw on the cover and lift the cover off and take a look inside. Here is their troubleshooting video:

HTH,

Ray
Old 11-22-2020, 04:17 PM   #42
Triglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
There should be no clicking from the ATS when connecting to shore power. Shore power is the default (de-energized) ATS condition. When using the generator there will be a clicking sound (contactors energizing).
In our Georgetown 335DS the ATS does engage (click) when plugging into Shore Power.. I have never been out side by the relay box to know if it clicks when I start the generator from inside the cab though..

2013 Georgetown 335 DS
TriGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:39 PM   #43

Removed the ATS and found the coil for the shore power contactor fried. Had heated up so much, the plastic around the coil melted to the point the laminated plunger could not pull in. Instead of returning it to Elkhart (4th Time) for warranty work, I ordered a new replacement ATS from Amazon and in 2 days had it fixed. So off we went, our last fall short trip for the year. Went to put out the dining room side, and with broom handle in hand, I watched the plastic chain start to bunch up instead of going down the hole like it should. Brought in back in and found a broken link again. Then, turned the furnace on and the T-stat did not work. This is the T-stat that they supposedly fixed in Elkhart last summer. Spent one night with fireplace only for heat, then headed home. RV'ing is so much fun and relaxing. Ohio has a RV lemon law and my SO has documented all the issues we have had with this coach. We are fed up.
pojoGTH5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:25 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGlide View Post
In our Georgetown 335DS the ATS does engage (click) when plugging into Shore Power.. I have never been out side by the relay box to know if it clicks when I start the generator from inside the cab though..
My input is not necessarily correct. I did not take into account that there are ATS's with 2 relays (shore power/generator power) that I think may have a mechanical interlock (only 1 relay can be energized at a time). With shore power applied its relay energizes. The generator relay does have priority and when generator power is applied to its relay it will energize which de-energizes the shore power relay and locking it in the de-energized position.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:11 PM   #45
NXR

Quote:
Ohio has a RV lemon law and my SO has documented all the issues we have had with this coach. We are fed up.
Well, time for even more disappointment. As an Ohio resident I can tell you that the Ohio lemon law only applies to the chassis (Ford) components, not the motorhome issues.

But your profile says you're from Michigan? This lemon law lawyer is from Michigan:

Ray
Old 11-29-2020, 01:59 PM   #46

OH GREAT!!
pojoGTH5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:09 PM   #47
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pojoGTH5 View Post
OH GREAT!!
You're welcome.

On a more serious note, did you contact Progressive Dynamics? They may ship you a warranty replacement and since you bought your own, you would have a spare.

I've not had any problems yet and I recently opened mine and checked the tightness of all the connections and all was well at 1.5 years.

Ray