Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #1

More Hydralic leaks in 2012 378TS

Just wanted to keep this fresh on everyones minds.

After returning from a short trip to the FROG Rally in Tucson I now have 2 more hydralic leaks. One on my front right leveler and one one left rear leveler. Not sure if it is the lines or the actual leveler piston itself.
I just sent an email to John Armstrong and Amy just to give them a heads up.

I'm really losing my patience with recurring hyrdralic leaks and the my lost of use and extra expense each time I have to drive it to my dealer 50 miles away.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:21 AM   #2

Iggy..keep us informed....so far just the orange hose replacement on ours.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #3

Yes, I'de like to hear how this turns out too
My 2007 373 has orange hoses that are not
leaking but are wet on the outside
I've had to add about 1 quart of fluid in 4 years
so theres somthing not quit right.
I expect it to brakedown when i'm far from any repair station
......how do you get them back up when that happens??
Can i use the jack fron my jeep and push/jack the leg up?
and then tie it off?

Thanks jojo bamboo
jojo bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo bamboo View Post
Yes, I'de like to hear how this turns out too
My 2007 373 has orange hoses that are not
leaking but are wet on the outside
I've had to add about 1 quart of fluid in 4 years
so theres somthing not quit right.
I expect it to brakedown when i'm far from any repair station
......how do you get them back up when that happens??
Can i use the jack fron my jeep and push/jack the leg up?
and then tie it off?

Thanks jojo bamboo

If your hoses are wet on the outside this is the start of a failure.
The fluid is leaking between the inner and outter layers of the hose. Usuallythis is cause by the closest fitting leaking the fluid.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #5

The first thing I did was send John Armsrong and email about the present leaks and he replied with recieved email and problems noted. Hopefully this streamlines repair or ordering from FR.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #6

I have had all those problems and more, but they are fixed now, and my coach is out of warranty.

The only thing left is the reservoir cap, whiich still leaks every time you operated the slides or jacks. My dealer (Mike Thompson RV in Colton, CA) says that Lippert says there is no fix for it. That is a sad state of affairs!

Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbconsults View Post
I have had all those problems and more, but they are fixed now, and my coach is out of warranty.

The only thing left is the reservoir cap, whiich still leaks every time you operated the slides or jacks. My dealer (Mike Thompson RV in Colton, CA) says that Lippert says there is no fix for it. That is a sad state of affairs!

Forrest
That's pretty bad when the manufacturer of the reservoir says there's no fix. Well maybe they should get out of the hydraulic pump, levelers and slideout business. They built the stupid thing wrong. All they need to do is build a better mould for the tank with a taller collar where the cap screws on. Hard to believe there's not a simple solution on their part.
Fortunately I've only had one hydraulic issue where the threaded part of the leveler leaked a little fluid. After disconnecting the hoses I was able to get the top tighter and it hasn't leaked since. It's been over 5 years.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #8

Quote:

Forrest
My question is when all the slides are in and the levelers up how high is the fluid in the tank?

What have you read on the proper level?

I have read one statement that said no higher than the label on the side with the serial number.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #9

Quote:

Forrest
I developed a operating technique, not fix but I've used it all year without any tank overflow.
To begin with I noted how much resevoir is left well all jacks and slides are out. I then determined I could easily run wilh 1 1/2" low on tank level for normal level. When the slides come in and the jacks retract there's quite an oil flow back to the tank. I always retract the jacks first cause its 4 pistons and the tank needs max room to prevent overflow. Then when you bring in slides one at a time there's less turbulence and oil doesn't overcome the air vent/fill cap. when everything is in you have the 1 1/2" resevoir margin. Lippert tells everyone to run it full, thats optional casuse the dipstick shows it lower. Ever since I've adopted this method, I've had no overflow. I did like everyone else in the beginning. You can piture a full tank with all four jacks dumping in their at the end of their stroke. I also carry a gallon of the ATF case I get low, that hasn't happened though. Pic shows tank at lowest level, cap for tank. Note the center opening of the cap, oil/air rushes for this opening as oil returns. At the top is a saturated sponge. Oil is carried with the air to the sponge. Too much oil cannot drain back will penetrate the sponge and carryover. With an air gap, oil will not carry over with the air. Mine looks clean, huh?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank level.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	20300   Click image for larger version

Name:	tank fill cap.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	20301  
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
I developed a operating technique, not fix but I've used it all year without any tank overflow.
To begin with I noted how much resevoir is left well all jacks and slides are out. I then determined I could easily run wilh 1 1/2" low on tank level for normal level. When the slides come in and the jacks retract there's quite an oil flow back to the tank. I always retract the jacks first cause its 4 pistons and the tank needs max room to prevent overflow. Then when you bring in slides one at a time there's less turbulence and oil doesn't overcome the air vent/fill cap. when everything is in you have the 1 1/2" resevoir margin. Lippert tells everyone to run it full, thats optional casuse the dipstick shows it lower. Ever since I've adopted this method, I've had no overflow. I did like everyone else in the beginning. You can piture a full tank with all four jacks dumping in their at the end of their stroke. I also carry a gallon of the ATF case I get low, that hasn't happened though. Pic shows tank at lowest level, cap for tank. Note the center opening of the cap, oil/air rushes for this opening as oil returns. At the top is a saturated sponge. Oil is carried with the air to the sponge. Too much oil cannot drain back will penetrate the sponge and carryover. With an air gap, oil will not carry over with the air. Mine looks clean, huh?

Great discription VinceU.
That is basically how I have done it and we all have the same caps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	April 26 2012 039.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	20303   Click image for larger version

Name:	April 26 2012 041.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	20304   Click image for larger version

Name:	April_17_2012 072.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	20305  
Old 10-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #11
Hob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
The first thing I did was send John Armsrong and email about the present leaks and he replied with recieved email and problems noted. Hopefully this streamlines repair or ordering from FR.
Iggy,

Sounds like a government answer. The government is a little slicker, the answer comes back, "Noted and taken under asvisment." That means if and when I get around to it, I might or might not do something about it. Send a friendly note every now and then to keep their memory refreshed.

Regards,
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hob View Post
Iggy,

Sounds like a government answer. The government is a little slicker, the answer comes back, "Noted and taken under asvisment." That means if and when I get around to it, I might or might not do something about it. Send a friendly note every now and then to keep their memory refreshed.

Regards,
Not sure what you mean. John Armstrong has been taking care of me ever step of the way. This was it is duly noted in the system so if I go over 1 year and still have problems I have at least a leg to stand on to get things further repaired.

Why do so many people try to read messages here and try and read more into it than meets the eye.

Just like someone couldn't decide the best way to get their rig level with a bubble level. 50 people had 50 different way because they couln't decide the definition of level was.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Oh BTW here's a pic of the tailpipe on a Lippert pump, it extends nearly to the bottom of the casing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lippert_pump suction pipe.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	20329  
Old 10-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #14

I have a 2010 Georgetown 378 and just noticed fluid on ground below hydraulic tank, manifold and motor. Turns out fluid leaking out end of motor. Lip pert says to replace it. Made in China junk!
MattM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
I have a 2010 Georgetown 378 and just noticed fluid on ground below hydraulic tank, manifold and motor. Turns out fluid leaking out end of motor. Lip pert says to replace it. Made in China junk!
Lippert always says to replace the pump, turns out in the cousin RV forum some guy didn't want to spend the $1350 the pump costs. Instead he carefully dissembled it with photos and replaced the seal which is a common lip seal for like $8 bucks! Search the blue forum for Lippert pump repair, I found it in the Monaco area. The oil will eventually cause the motor to overheat and burn. Even if your not comfortable with it a mechanic with the directions can do it in half a day. Thats where the pic I posted the other day came from
Old 11-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #16

Update Nov 2 2012

Update Nov 2 2012
As you may have read I had many leaks since I have owner my Georgetown GT 378TS April 15, 2012

I dropped off my MH Oct 8 and Lippert promised to replace all the lines.
My dealer McMahons RV asked me to help streamline the repairs by contacting Lippert which I did and they said they will expidite delivery to my dealer a full set of line. Both Orange and Black.
It is now Nov 2 almost a month in the shop and they said maybe it will be finished today. We will see. The problem I have is with McMahons RV in Mesa dragging their feet and not Forest River nor Lippert..

I will let you know more in a few days

Iggy
Old 11-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Update Nov 2 2012
As you may have read I had many leaks since I have owner my Georgetown GT 378TS April 15, 2012

I dropped off my MH Oct 8 and Lippert promised to replace all the lines.
My dealer McMahons RV asked me to help streamline the repairs by contacting Lippert which I did and they said they will expidite delivery to my dealer a full set of line. Both Orange and Black.
It is now Nov 2 almost a month in the shop and they said maybe it will be finished today. We will see. The problem I have is with McMahons RV in Mesa dragging their feet and not Forest River nor Lippert..

I will let you know more in a few days

Iggy
Iggy I gotta wonder if your hyd system is operating with excessive pressure. I wonder if your dealer can learn from Lippert what is the max operating pressure, how can you monitor it (at least in shop) and how if possible can you adjust it. Its operating using a gear pump, theoretically the top pressure is infinity if there is no flow. Hoses then jacks then hoses all failing is crazy, some ting isn't right. Good luck.

Vince
Old 11-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #18

Update Nov 3, 2011

Update Nov 3, 2011

Well dealer called and told me they replaced all the lines in my Georgetown.
Now the pump runs and nothing happens.
Seems no fluid is being pumped out into the lines.
So Monday they plan on calling Lippert to see what is next.
Hopefully a new pump and valve assembly.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy
Update Nov 3, 2011

Well dealer called and told me they replaced all the lines in my Georgetown.
Now the pump runs and nothing happens.
Seems no fluid is being pumped out into the lines.
So Monday they plan on calling Lippert to see what is next.
Hopefully a new pump and valve assembly.
Maybe this is helpful, Another overhauled his pump......

"I had to run mine 6 – 8 times for 20 seconds, each time, to get the slides to start moving. I was concerned after about the fourth time and no movement, but I kept at it and once the pump got primed all was normal. Run it once for 20 seconds, wait 2 minutes to cool, the run it for another 20 seconds. Now wait 15 minutes for cool down and repeat above."
Old 11-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #20

Iggy, when I first got my MH, the pump was leaking and they had to replace it. They had to build the pump, because the ones already built were for assembly lines. They sent the wrong one first time, finally the second one worked and has been ok since. Of course, it still leaks from the cap, "as designed". LOL.

Good luck, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
378ts