Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2015, 12:48 AM   #1
RV Vagabond Jerry

Question Motorcycle lift

Has anyone ever seen a motorcycle lift on the back of a Georgetown - I wonder if it can handle the extra weight hanging off the back of the axle?
Jerry Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:40 AM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Jerry...you are extremely limited to a motorcycle lift on the back of Class A gas motorhomes. Almost all have a hitch with limits of 500 pounds ON them, or 5000 pounds towing WITH them.

What size/weight are you considering and are you still hoping to tow anything at the same time?

This is why you typically only see motorcycles on the lifts of diesel motorhomes... They have a much higher hitch rating for "the toys".
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:39 AM   #3

I use a simple hitch mounted carrier to lug around a 2013 Honda CBR250. The motorhome hitch's max tongue weight of 500 lbs does limit your options, but I've lugged that little 250 all over the country with no problems whatsoever. The little 250 carries my wife and I 2 up wherever we need to go.

Here's a link to the one I bought:

MotoTote Motorcycle Carrier - 450 lb Capacity MTX3 | DiscountRamps.com
DarrenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 07:02 PM   #4

I wanted to haul my buell on a rear hitch mount rack. I have an 08 ds350. I bought the rack. Mounted it. Then had a buddy video taped me while I stood on the rack and bounced some. I was trying to replicate the forces of driving down the road. I weigh 200lbs, my bike weighs just over 400. I saw on the video that the RV chassis bounced around quite a bit. So I chickened out. Bought a towed instead. I might try hauling the bike for short distances but that's it. Goods luck and let us know your experience.
Robert Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Vaughn View Post
I wanted to haul my buell on a rear hitch mount rack. I have an 08 ds350. I bought the rack. Mounted it. Then had a buddy video taped me while I stood on the rack and bounced some. I was trying to replicate the forces of driving down the road. I weigh 200lbs, my bike weighs just over 400. I saw on the video that the RV chassis bounced around quite a bit. So I chickened out. Bought a towed instead. I might try hauling the bike for short distances but that's it. Goods luck and let us know your experience.
I was very concerned about the wobble too, so I bought this:

Anti-Tilt Locking Device for Class III and IV Trailer Hitch | DiscountRamps.com

No problems whatsoever with my 350lb bike, but I do want to take my 600 pound VFR1200 when I go out west next year. I'll be getting a small trailer to tow. If you have any questions, send me a PM
DarrenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:25 PM   #6

Yes, same gadget that I used. What concerned me was how much the whole chassis moved up and down as I bounced the track. The rack stayed firm but I could see the front of the RV pitching up and down by several inches. Maybe that's OK and my bouncing on the rack doesn't reflect real world forces. I'm glad to hear that you're able to haul 350lbs. That's encouraging.
Robert Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:05 PM   #7
RV Vagabond Jerry

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenK View Post
I use a simple hitch mounted carrier to lug around a 2013 Honda CBR250. The motorhome hitch's max tongue weight of 500 lbs does limit your options, but I've lugged that little 250 all over the country with no problems whatsoever. The little 250 carries my wife and I 2 up wherever we need to go.
Darren, I would like that lightweight carrier, but getting my bike up on it without it falling over on the way seems too much of a challenge. And my bike is 540 pounds so that might be too heavy for it.
Jerry Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Dixon View Post
Darren, I would like that lightweight carrier, but getting my bike up on it without it falling over on the way seems too much of a challenge. And my bike is 540 pounds so that might be too heavy for it.

I would say that 500 lbs is to heavy for your rig. Your frame is not a one piece to the rear. They put extensions on the back. Or at least that's they way it has been done on the ones I have seen. Also the amount of leverage you have is a huge force. The handling of the Moho with that much weight being taken off the front axle is going to be noticeable. I wanted to put one on my Berkshire and was advised against it.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:15 AM   #9

Supposedly hydralift can be used, as does not use the hitch and the lift itself is lighter weight.
cabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:57 AM   #10

I carry a 850# Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Electra Glide on my 337 with a 250# lift. The hitch has to be upgraded to a 1000# class A, your factory hitch is only rated to 500#. Wobble can be a problem. I mounted a 8 ' X 6' wooden frame to the roof of the RV with eye bolts extending out near the top corners of the RV. Straps are attached from there to the rear corners of the bike lift. They do not carry a heavy load, but stopped the wobble altogether.
I have traveled over 5000 Miles on many types of roads and have no problems at all (except the bike gets real dirty when it rains).
You literally cannot tell it is back there, has no effect on ride or handling, and can be viewed in the rear camera. I love it. Sorry I do not have any photos right now.
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote