Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2018, 10:30 AM   #1

Motorhome weight and tire psi scale

I just wanted to show how important to verify your Georgetown weight as it paramount to your steering and driving comfort as well as your safety.

Last year I replaced my original Michelin tires as they were 55,000 miles and over 5 years old. The wear and tread was still good but I changed them because of safety.

After researching I decided to go with Toyo M154 tires and the closest equal size was 245/75R22.5 (Original Michelins XRV were 235/80R/22.5)
My install price with tire balancing, tax was $2,560 which was a very good deal as the Michelins would have been over $1,000 more.
The tires are rated the same for speed and design.

Note: Ford wants their F-53 weight distributed 40% on front tires and 60% on rear axle. Almost exactly what I have.

Now with them installed I needed to verify my Georgetown's weights and figure out what would be the proper tire psi for the front and rear tires.
What I found was that my Georgetown fully loaded was 2000 lbs under my GVWR sticker that says 22,000lbs. This is great.

I have attached my weight scale report as well as Toyo tire weight/psi for you to examine and read.
My present COLD Tire pressure are: Front 75 psi and rear dually 80 psi.
I actually went a bit higher in weight because I took into consideration a full fuel tank and full water tank.

Hope this information will help you get some idea of how my 378TS weighs and how it relates to your tire pressure.

Have a great summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012_Georgetown_Weight.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	178813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	178814  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:36 PM   #2

Thanks for the info.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:52 PM   #3

Hi Iggy,
Thanks for this. I’m in the market for tires now too. I’m having a very hard time finding objective information on tires. What did you find that lead you away from the Michelins and to the Toyos?
EricNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:06 PM   #4

I wish consumer reports tested RV tires like they do car tires.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I just wanted to show how important to verify your Georgetown weight as it paramount to your steering and driving comfort as well as your safety.

Last year I replaced my original Michelin tires as they were 55,000 miles and over 5 years old. The wear and tread was still good but I changed them because of safety.

After researching I decided to go with Toyo M154 tires and the closest equal size was 245/75R22.5 (Original Michelins XRV were 235/80R/22.5)
My install price with tire balancing, tax was $2,560 which was a very good deal as the Michelins would have been over $1,000 more.
The tires are rated the same for speed and design.

Note: Ford wants their F-53 weight distributed 40% on front tires and 60% on rear axle. Almost exactly what I have.

Now with them installed I needed to verify my Georgetown's weights and figure out what would be the proper tire psi for the front and rear tires.
What I found was that my Georgetown fully loaded was 2000 lbs under my GVWR sticker that says 22,000lbs. This is great.

I have attached my weight scale report as well as Toyo tire weight/psi for you to examine and read.
My present COLD Tire pressure are: Front 75 psi and rear dually 80 psi.
I actually went a bit higher in weight because I took into consideration a full fuel tank and full water tank.

Hope this information will help you get some idea of how my 378TS weighs and how it relates to your tire pressure.

Have a great summer.

Iggy
Where did you find a scale that you could get the weight each of tires. All the scale I have gone to would give me the front and rear.

Thanks
BennyChaney
Benny1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny1953 View Post
Iggy
Where did you find a scale that you could get the weight each of tires. All the scale I have gone to would give me the front and rear.

Thanks
BennyChaney
Louisiana Highway Patrol had set up a weighing area using portable individual scales for each wheel. I just drove up on them.
This was done for my Military RV group rally I had in Louisiana last year.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Louisiana Highway Patrol had set up a weighing area using portable individual scales for each wheel. I just drove up on them.
This was done for my Military RV group rally I had in Louisiana last year.

Iggy
Thanks wish I could find one of the Oklahoma Highway Patrol to do that.

BennyChaney
Old 07-14-2018, 04:47 PM   #8

I thought I saw somewhere that you drive so the right side is on the scale, weigh, then drive the left side on and weigh again.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNJ View Post
I thought I saw somewhere that you drive so the right side is on the scale, weigh, then drive the left side on and weigh again.

EricNJ
I have ask at a couple of scales and they told me I couldn’t and some I have looked at didn’t have enough room on the side to get that for to each side.

Thanks
BennyChaney

Tags
motorhome, tire, weight