Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2019, 07:38 PM   #1
Kanadian Kamper

My electric steps have the hiccups?

Don’t know how else to describe what my Lippert steps started doing just this past week. Never had ANY step issues till now. House batteries are not the issue....full voltage at all times.

It doesn’t matter if they trigger by the screen door magnet to go in or out, or if it’s when they retract when you start the engine.....

When the steps go to their full extend position, they hiccup and you hear the step motor still working 3-4 seconds before staying in full out position.
When the steps get to their full retract position, they hiccup in and out 3-4 times an inch or two, before stopping, but might not be fully retracted. They at least retract enough to be able to drive. Ran on some pretty bumpy roads today and they didn’t move.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:22 PM   #2

Sounds like the step motor and/or gear are on its way out! Mine would skip halfway in or out. Had a gear inside the motor with a stripped tooth or 2.

$80 fo a new motor and all is smooth and quiet now.

Also I just remembered. These had a recall for the pivot bolt breaking. They would install a bracket that would hold enbolt in place if it broke. Mine had the recall done and the bolt was fine.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:56 AM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Sounds like the step motor and/or gear are on its way out! Mine would skip halfway in or out. Had a gear inside the motor with a stripped tooth or 2.

$80 fo a new motor and all is smooth and quiet now.

Also I just remembered. These had a recall for the pivot bolt breaking. They would install a bracket that would hold enbolt in place if it broke. Mine had the recall done and the bolt was fine.
If yours are Lippert model electric steps, can you provide the model number of this motor? I can’t see any markings on my unit, and I’m missing any literature on it. Motor replacement was pretty straight forward?

Thanks.

Ken and Terry
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
Old 08-05-2019, 07:02 AM   #4

I don't have the number from the box or old motor anymore but this is what I ordered off amazon. My steps are the 3 step lippert.

Lippert 163669 was the manuf number.
300-1406 was the number on the tag on the motor.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:09 AM   #5

I had what sounds like the same problem, found the pivot bolt broke, ordered a new one from Lippert ($7.00), the new bolt was standard thread and the old one was metric? Lippert was as confused as I was.

I bought a hardened bolt with a couple of sleeves locally, has worked fine for about a year now.

You can determine if this the problem by examining the drive gear, it will not be flush with the bottom of the steps.
sba3379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:28 PM   #6

Pivot bolt broke twice and then there was a third failure between motor and other part. The independent shop that works on our rig called Lippert for advice and managed to get the whole step replaced with a Kwikee model under a recall program. I am guessing that the repeated pivot bolt breakage reports may have involved law suits as this leaves the steps "swaying in the breeze" and can launch people who are not aware. Plus you can't retract the steps. I may have heard the Lippert and Kwikee merged. Note: It might be necessary to replace the reed switch on the door as one brand is NO and the other is NC.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:32 PM   #7
Bill & Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
If yours are Lippert model electric steps, can you provide the model number of this motor? I can’t see any markings on my unit, and I’m missing any literature on it. Motor replacement was pretty straight forward?

Thanks.
Sounds like what my steps did. I called Lippert and they said the motor needed replaced. I forget the cost but it was much higher than on E-Bay. This is the one I ordered. Not hard to replace at all. The mounting holes were a little tight so I found the first drill bit that would not free fall though and cleaned them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-RV-Step...72.m2749.l2649
km5xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:17 PM   #8
Kanadian Kamper

I appreciate all the feedback so far.
If it matters on part numbers or items being identified, my Georgetown only has the two steps unit from Lippert. My rig is on a Ford platform with the 19.5” wheels instead of the 22.5”, so I wouldn’t have the ground clearance to have the three step units.

Continuing to monitor and still looking to see if anyone else has steps that hiccup to confirm the corrective method.

Ken and Terry
Old 08-05-2019, 06:48 PM   #9

I believe the motor is the same for the 2 or 3 steps.

I also had he issue of the bolts dimensions being off a hair. Ran a drill bit through them to open them up and it fit perfect. Unless Lippert is paying for them, I'm not shelling out $900 bucks for new Kwikee steps if I can fix them for less than $100. If no repairs are available then I will. As of right now they work great!

Old 08-07-2019, 07:41 PM   #10

Same ole same ole!! The hiccups turned into a dead motor. Amazon was my friend, took about an hour to change it out. All good ...........until... next trip.. no step retraction. The bolt thing that joins the steps to the toothed arc broke off, its a 5/16"UNF stud attached to the ball joint. I got a new one (different design ) from Lippert and all is good again. I will check it again in 40K miles!!!

PS Part number is 163669 Model 300-1406 .I have a 2 stepper with 19.5" tires
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
I appreciate all the feedback so far.
If it matters on part numbers or items being identified, my Georgetown only has the two steps unit from Lippert. My rig is on a Ford platform with the 19.5” wheels instead of the 22.5”, so I wouldn’t have the ground clearance to have the three step units.

Continuing to monitor and still looking to see if anyone else has steps that hiccup to confirm the corrective method.
If it is the motor be sure to replace it while you can still extend the steps. It's a lot more "fun" when the steps are stuck retracted.
2018 Chevy Spark
Formerly - 2007 Itasca Navion (Sold and gone)
Mr. October is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric