Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2015, 09:42 PM   #1

My leveling jacks won't retract?

My Georgetown leveling jacks are down
and won't retract. All lights are on, and it sounds like it is operating but they won't release? Any ideas? In manual mode they will extend more but not release.
Both breakers are engaged and the motor runs when you hit retract, the hydraulic fluid won't release t let them retract.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
KP 351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP 351 View Post
My Georgetown leveling jacks are down
N and won't retract. All lights are on, and it sounds like it is operating but they won't release? Any ideas?

Is there a manual release for the jacks, help!

Old 07-31-2015, 10:41 PM   #3

Try extending them some. My front stick from time to time and extending them solves the problem.

2014 GT 378 XL
jeffv003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:41 AM   #4

I did try that, they would manually extent, but it did't work. The front is now off the ground. Still will not retract.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:39 AM   #5

Take a look at this thread, post #5.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...own-87180.html

The manual extend/retract procedure starts on pg 34.

BUT first make sure you have a Lippert system, we don't.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:49 AM   #6

Take the cover off the steps press the reset button on the left side

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:46 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to PHILIPHD Send a message via Skype™ to PHILIPHD
Check the hydraulic fluid level for the pump. I had the same problem and found the unit to be 2 quarts low on oil.
PHILIPHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:44 PM   #8

Georgetown levelling jacks that go down and don't retract can be caused by a short in the control cable to the hydraulic control unit. This happened twice to me. If you have a hydraulic motor that turns in only one direction then this is likely the problem. Worst of all, there's no way to retract the jacks, even manually, if this happens. The hydraulic control unit is locked in the "extend the jacks" mode and you can't retract them when this happens unless you drain the hydraulic fluid from the system.

The solution is to unplug the power line to the extend/retract solenoid. It's located on the left side of the unit (looking at the back end of the motor) and is the only device on that side with wires going to it. After it's unplugged, the jacks will retract normally because the "no power" position of the solenoid sets up the hydraulic control unit to retract the jacks. DO NOT PLUG IT BACK IN until you want to extend the jacks again. The automatic levelling system will not work because it can't raise and lower the jacks but you can level manually.

This solenoid is powered directly from the battery and will drain the battery if you leave the solenoid connected. It does NOT go through the battery disconnect switch and will drain the coach batteries even if you've disconnected them. When this happened to me, it was the second time the batteries had been left fully discharged for an extended period of time and both house batteries needed replacement.

Notify your dealer that the diode in the hydraulic jack control cable failed. They should contact FR to get the new replacement cable from Lippert that has additional protective circuitry that prevents this problem. If you're going to the Elkhart rally that starts next weekend, add it to your list of repairs. Mine was finally fixed last year after Lippert was able to develop a fix for the problem.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:05 PM   #9

On my 351DS sometimes they won't retract and I get the low voltage indicator on the leveling control pad. I give it a little gas to bring the rpms up to about 1,000 and that does the trick. The manual also states to turn off all other extraneous electrical items when operating the levelers. Might not be your problem but easy to try just in case.
Old 09-04-2022, 09:47 AM   #10

Just had that problem when the campground electric went out. Had to press all 4 Jack (right front, left front, right rear and left rear) at the same time for a re-sent. Worked immediately.
Angie Angie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling