Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2013, 06:27 PM   #1

Need help with satellite TV questions

Hello fellow Georgetowners!

So here we are enjoying the new MH and lo and behold, we have super crappy cable reception.

Thinking about getting a satellite TV service but getting really confused with everything I'm trying to read out there. We have home Directv and have an extra SD receiver we can use (know I have to get N extra satellite dish if I do this). I've read that it's legal and other places it isn't.

Can't seem to find accurate info on how much Directv Mobile Choice programming would be. Saw on KVH site that it's only $5 more a month but their "dish" is $1300-2500. Winegard has price packages $30 and up per month.

Help?
Lvnlife1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:49 PM   #2

With dish it an extra 5 bucks a month. The cable hook up are junk on a least some Georgetowns.
Newellri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newellri View Post
With dish it an extra 5 bucks a month. The cable hook up are junk on a least some Georgetowns.
Do you mean the cable connections are junk? I thought to try to tighten connections but can't get to them without first ripping everything out, so not sure I want to do that. However, if connections aren't tight enough, it wouldn't matter if I went satellite because the signal would still be crappy.

DVD plays great and antenna reception for digital channels are good.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvnlife1973 View Post
Do you mean the cable connections are junk? I thought to try to tighten connections but can't get to them without first ripping everything out, so not sure I want to do that. However, if connections aren't tight enough, it wouldn't matter if I went satellite because the signal would still be crappy.

DVD plays great and antenna reception for digital channels are good.
I would unscreww all the connections starting from your outside cable connection and check the center conductor for a thin film left on it when they installed.
I had this happen and started looking closer and behold the center conductor was not copper colored and had a thin fild that I stripped away with my nail and all was good.

Now the digital local antenna has to have the little button pushed to activate the 12 volt amp built into the wall. This usually is in the same area where you see a white wall plate and a 12 volt dc round connector.
See my picture and see the back button to turn on.
Attached Images

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:33 PM   #5

I've got the digital amplifier thing figured out. The cable channels are horrible, very fuzzy. It gets better late at night though.

Going to have to check out your other process. Not sure I completely understand the center connection....do you mean from the main cable connector in the rig in the lower compartment?
Old 08-31-2013, 09:05 PM   #6

Quote:
I've got the digital amplifier thing figured out. The cable channels are horrible, very fuzzy. It gets better late at night though.

Going to have to check out your other process. Not sure I completely understand the center connection....do you mean from the main cable connector in the rig in the lower compartment?
I mean the cable connectors outside behind the compartment where you hookup to campground cable as well as the ones on the back of the swtich box .
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:

So here we are enjoying the new MH and lo and behold, we have super crappy cable reception.

Thinking about getting a satellite TV service but getting really confused with everything I'm trying to read out there. We have home Directv and have an extra SD receiver we can use (know I have to get N extra satellite dish if I do this). I've read that it's legal and other places it isn't.

Can't seem to find accurate info on how much Directv Mobile Choice programming would be. Saw on KVH site that it's only $5 more a month but their "dish" is $1300-2500. Winegard has price packages $30 and up per month.

Help?
We have DirecTV at home and in the RV. The price is basically the same as adding a room. In our case we have a Tivo unit in the coach so we record programs at home and can watch them when there are tree issues. We have a Wingard Dome on the roof. As for local programming though you might lose that if you're too far from home. We receive our local channels when in Myrtle Beach which is about 500 miles away.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:39 AM   #8

Could the cable problem be the connection from the cable on the post? Can you try using your neighbor's connection to test it? Don't forget the TV has to scan for new channels, the switch box has to be "switched" to the right setting and holding a wire coat hanger bent at the right angle has been known to help. Okay...the coat hanger is not really necessary.

We have the Wingard Carryout with DirecTV and bring a receiver from the house. Just set it down and connect it. It twirls and grinds and can usually find the signal. If not we just move it and try again. We're able to use the "Park Cable In" connector but have to switch some cables from the switch box the the receiver to get the signal to different TVs.

It can get very frustrating if you switch from cable to satellite unless you have the built in roof sat but if you're under a tree with the roof sat you're out of luck. At least the carry out or another portable system gives lets you locate the dish so you can find a signal. You do lose local programs if you get too far from home.

Good luck.

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #9

After much fuss I finally got my dish to work. I have a Georgetown 350 ts and the tv is midship. I never got the coax to work, never figured out why. I added an outside tv and ran a hdmi hiding it behind moldings. Though this works so well, but that shuts off the coax in the dish receiver, and you can't split a hdmi. Finally removed DVD player and found a red white yellow. Put a ab switch, now that works fine, but when I tried to use reg tv very low signal. Completely baffled! Good old Iggy came to my rescue! When he posted the picture of the antenna switch, duh, I had inadvertently bumped the switch shutting off the antenna. Turned the switch on and it all works!!! Just as a side note if you have dish and you do not use for a couple of months you have to call and have your unit pinged, same if you winter in the south and are from the Midwest. Thanks Iggy!
Old 09-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #10

Quote:

Help?
If you have a extra receiver at home, all you need is the dish. It will cost you nothing extra, I have direct tv dish and just take the bedroom reciever with me and plug it in if you want local stations just use your RV antenna for that. In the set up mode it will ask what your zip code is where you are and then it will give you all the settings. It's that easy. I have never heard of anything being illegal anywhere you do not need the DTV mobile at all.......Just make sure you turn off the amp at the wall connection......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
If you have a extra receiver at home, all you need is the dish. It will cost you nothing extra, I have direct tv dish and just take the bedroom reciever with me and plug it in if you want local stations just use your RV antenna for that. In the set up mode it will ask what your zip code is where you are and then it will give you all the settings. It's that easy. I have never heard of anything being illegal anywhere you do not need the DTV mobile at all.......Just make sure you turn off the amp at the wall connection......
X2
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #12

For dish I pay for 3 unit ( 5 bucks a mo.) and have a winegard unit on the roof. This is the same as the portable but with a fixed mount. It uses both satellites but is a bit nosy when changing channels, other wise it works good. This is the 700.00 unit. The problem for us was how the coax worked, or in my case did not work. All seems to be good now.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #13
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Since you already have DirecTV at home you'll just be adding a receiver. If you decide on Dish Newtwork then you'll be paying for two services or need to change to Dish at home to keep the RV unit price low. As stated earlier by Newellri about getting the unit pinged after inactivity. The same goes for DirecTV. You can go on-line to their website and ping it yourself without getting anyone involved. It's amazing how quick it responds. I generally do it each March after it has sat for a couple months.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 09-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #14

As far as the cable, I to had poor reception. I was inspecting the 50' cable I hook to the park cable connector, and discovered the fitting connecting the terminal to the cable was crimped really hard (excessively). Rather than fool with replacing it, I bought a new one at Camping World for twenty bucks and WALA! crystal clear picture.

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #15

Thanks all!

Called Directv and they said I could just use a box from home and buy a satellite dish and just hook it up for no charge.

Haven't tried asking neighbors yet about their cable reception. I think it might be park reception. Got an almost clear channel but some channels are total junk. Won't know if it's this park until we go to another one. This location is not close to a big city. Will have to test this out when we take the MH to a few more places. I did notice the cable connection in the power stand was very loose.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #16
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Thanks all!

Called Directv and they said I could just use a box from home and buy a satellite dish and just hook it up for no charge.

Haven't tried asking neighbors yet about their cable reception. I think it might be park reception. Got an almost clear channel but some channels are total junk. Won't know if it's this park until we go to another one. This location is not close to a big city. Will have to test this out when we take the MH to a few more places. I did notice the cable connection in the power stand was very loose.
Might just be the connection from your cable to the campground plug. We had one with terrible reception, after pushing the cable in a couple times and wire brushing off the threads the reception was great. Oxidation of the campground's side was the problem. Most of these set-ups are just outside with no protection and just don't stand up to the weather very good. Just another possibility!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 09-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #17

Help again?

So where do most of you put your satellite tv box? The TV is in the middle of the MH and the cable connections are up in the front above thr dashboard. I was going to put the receiver box up in the front but then I realize I can't connect it to the TV! Wish they made it easier!
Old 09-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #18

I put mine in the middle compartment next to the surround sound and cable switcher box. When it was installed, an AB switch was put in that allowed the tv to be switched from satellite to cable. That way you use the existing cables to the tv. If you are not handy with that sort of stuff, Best Buy or some other installer can do it for you, it's pretty easy if you know how.

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
Old 09-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #19

I consider myself handy with electronics. Just assembled the dish. What I'm trying to figure out is how to connect this box. I have the selector box up here that you can toggle between cable/sat/antenna......trying to figure out how to connect box to this? Let me think about it.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #20

The installer had to add a A/B switch on top of the selector box you are talking about.

Happy Trails and good luck, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4