Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2021, 10:43 AM   #1

New 36D Motorhome

Hello All

We just purchased a 2021 Georgetown 36D. Looking at towing a jeep. I'm not sure of the best way. I read about flat towing and also using a dolly. We want to tow a jeep gladiator. According to everything I have read and heard the max towing of at 36D is 5,000 lbs. Any advise?

Thanks
wdr5125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:22 AM   #2
NXR

Quote:
We just purchased a 2021 Georgetown 36D. Looking at towing a jeep. I'm not sure of the best way. I read about flat towing and also using a dolly. We want to tow a jeep gladiator. According to everything I have read and heard the max towing of at 36D is 5,000 lbs.
Yes and no. You're fortunate that you bought the 36D7.

To determine the unrestricted towing capacity, you take the GCWR rating and subtract the GVWR rating from it. For the 36D7:

GCWR = 30,000 lbs
GVWR = 24,000 lbs.

That 6,000 pound difference is weight that can only be used for towing something and never for loading up the motorhome.

However, tow hitches come in 5,000 lbs and 7,500 lbs with nothing in between. So Forest River installs a 5,000 lb hitch on the 36D7 because they do not want people thinking they can tow 7,500 lbs unrestricted. Review this thread for that info. CMcDonough is an FR Georgetown employee: https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ch-205035.html

You, however, could take the motorhome to a good hitch and trailer shop and have them look everything over. Then they could replace the 5,000 lb hitch with a 7,500 hitch (plus any needed beefing-up they thought mght be needed) and you would be the one responsible for knowing your towing limit is 6,000 lbs unless you load the motorhome to less than 24,000 lbs.

The starting weight on the Gladiator that you're concerned with is the Curb Weight, not the GVWR.

The published curb weight of a 2021 Gladiator is between 4,700 lbs and 5,100 lbs but the actual weight can vary wildly and usually higher depending on the installed options. Then you need to add in maybe 100 lbs maximum for the towing equipment.

If you already own the Gladiator, or can talk a dealer into it, take the Gladiator with no junk in it to a CAT Scale and pay $12 and get it weighed. Subtract out the weight of the people or have it weighed with no one in it. Also note how much fuel it has in it.

Personally, I would never tow a 4,700 lb actual-weight vehicle on a 5,000 lb hitch. Never.

Here is a list of flat towable vehicles by model year: https://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/

The 2020 Gladiator shows as flat towable.

While the debate between a dolly or flat towing usually starts a Holy War, I did the dolly route for one year, sold the dolly at a loss, gave the car to my kid, bought a flat towable SUV, installed all of the towing equipment and never looked back.

The Gladiator does not give you a choice if it is 4WD. Per pages 360 and 361 of the online owner's manual it cannot be towed on a dolly:

Recreational Towing — Four-Wheel Drive Models
NOTE:
The transfer case must be shifted into NEUTRAL (N), automatic transmission must be in PARK, and manual transmission must be in gear (NOT in NEUTRAL) for recreational towing.

CAUTION!
• DO NOT dolly tow any 4WD vehicle. Towing with only one set of wheels on the ground (front or rear) will cause severe transmission and/or transfer case damage. Tow with all four wheels either ON the ground, or OFF the ground (using a vehicle trailer).

• Towing this vehicle in violation of the above requirements can cause severe transmission and/or transfer case damage. Damage from improper towing is not covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

• Do not use a bumper-mounted clamp-on tow bar on your vehicle. The bumper face bar will be damaged.

HTH,

Ray
Old 01-21-2021, 11:56 AM   #3

Thanks for the great information. I have not bought the gladiator yet. We are also looking at the jeep wrangler.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:08 PM   #4

i am towing a Jeep Gladiator next week to Florida. The only way to tow Jeep products is four wheel down. I had a Jeep Trailhawk before so this is the first long trip with the new Gladiator. I will keep you posted.

2020 Chevy Equinox Silver sled
seasure1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:30 PM   #5
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasure1 View Post
i am towing a Jeep Gladiator next week to Florida. The only way to tow Jeep products is four wheel down. I had a Jeep Trailhawk before so this is the first long trip with the new Gladiator. I will keep you posted.
Do you know the actual weight of your Gladiator as you will be towing it? If so, would you mind sharing it for the OP?

Thanks,

Ray
Old 01-21-2021, 06:40 PM   #6

The weight of the Gladiator is 4700lbs for the Overland Model. The Rubicon which people use for rock climbing is over 5000.

2020 Chevy Equinox Silver sled
seasure1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:58 PM   #7
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasure1 View Post
The weight of the Gladiator is 4700lbs for the Overland Model. The Rubicon which people use for rock climbing is over 5000.
To clarify, is that the "This is what the CAT Scale showed for ours" or is that the published weight? The dealer let me take a 2020 Rubicon Unlimited (four door) to a CAT Scale and it came in at over 5,500 lbs.

Ray
Old 01-22-2021, 10:46 AM   #8

It may cost more but towing four down is definitely better than a dolly. A dolly is a lot of hassle. A baseplate setup like Blue Ox or Roadmaster makes hooking up take only a few minutes. You will also need an auxiliary braking system. There is a lot of info on line. Motorhome magazine has a good catalog on line.
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:19 AM   #9
Kanadian Kamper

NXR provided some VERY DETAILED INFO in this thread.

In summary, the OP seems bent on towing a Jeep vehicle at or actually over his rated capacity. Fudging a different hitch to allow him to continue his pursuit will be his choice. The information is here for the reading.

Just my $0.02.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Do you know the actual weight of your Gladiator as you will be towing it? If so, would you mind sharing it for the OP?

Thanks,

Ray
I haven't got yet. I on fence between that gladiator or a wrangler
Old 01-22-2021, 01:08 PM   #11

I have a 2door 2018 door Wrangler that weighed in at 4320 pounds recently on the CAT scales while hooked to the motorhome with the tow gear. This includes a hardtop and full of gas, mild lift with 33's. Not steel bumpers though.

I would say flat towing is the way to go. Much faster than loading a wheel dolly and no storage needs.

Tags
motorhome