RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-15-2020, 10:04 AM   #1

New Friction Hinge from Lippert

Hi I have a 2017 31L5 Georgetown, I do not have access to my Coach, just wondering if anyone knows if this new hinge will fit my motor home?

https://store.lci1.com/friction-hing...hinge-kit.html

Ignore the signature below that says I have a 2018, trying to find where to edit signature now.
Old 11-16-2020, 12:19 AM   #2
Btm

Friction hinge

I have a 2019 31L5, but do not know if my door or your door is an LCI.

I think the LCI door has a ID plate on the hinge side. I will check mine tomorrow.

This hinge sure looks like it will work better than a gas shock that is mounted so close to the hinge point it does not work correctly.

Btm
CHF rear, CHF front, Sumo springs front
Btm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:58 AM   #3

I had these on my arctic fox. You could see the door frame flex as you closed the door. Always wondered how long they would last
Old 11-16-2020, 10:18 AM   #4
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Hope it works better than the door I have on my hew camper. Wind will still try to close it so Im going back to installing the door latch which will keep the door open no mater what of course if it really gets windy then I will close. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 02:12 PM   #5

Hinges and Latches

The old door latch used to drive me crazy. There was enough play in it that the door would rattle it constantly when the wind got up. Then Camp4two posted this and my life has been quiet ever since.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I just realized that is a Canadian link. I think the US price is about $12.00 not the $35 shown. Want to come to Canada?

So far as the Friction Hinge is concerned after watching the door frame flex with each open and close I sprayed it liberally with Break Free and no more friction. What a dumb idea, the door just sits there and jiggles back and forth three or four inches when the wind blows which I imagine will eventually break all the welds in the door frame. There are several posts on the forum about this problem. YMMV

Paul

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S
2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2502KS
2005 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40TSP
2012 Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel
2plus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 02:50 PM   #6
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btm View Post
I have a 2019 31L5, but do not know if my door or your door is an LCI.

I think the LCI door has a ID plate on the hinge side. I will check mine tomorrow.

This hinge sure looks like it will work better than a gas shock that is mounted so close to the hinge point it does not work correctly.
My 2020 is an LCI door.

Ray
Old 11-17-2020, 09:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
My 2020 is an LCI door.

Ray

Thanks, that is perfect, I will purchase them. Had the wind rip the door off the gas strut, and the replacement one I purchased was way to strong, had a hard time closing the door. Had to remove and I borrowed a gas strut from the door on the outside TV, that we never use.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:05 AM   #8
Btm

The door on my 2019 GT5 31L5 has a sticker with lots of numbers and bar codes, but no I D of who made it. It does have an LCI decal on the door glass.

After looking at the door hinge and the LCI friction hinge I believe they are the same, so I am guessing my door is an LCI.

Btm
Old 11-17-2020, 09:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2plus1 View Post
Want to come to Canada?

I am actually Canadian, but in the sunny Florida now. We flew down and had our car shipped. The Coach is back in Canada in storage, which is why I asked in the forum about the hinges, I can稚 easily get to the coach to see if they will work.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:16 AM   #10

Enjoy your time in the sun.

Stay safe, stay well,

Paul

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S
2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2502KS
2005 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40TSP
2012 Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel
2plus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:33 AM   #11
NXR

Quote:
The door on my 2019 GT5 31L5 has a sticker with lots of numbers and bar codes, but no I D of who made it. It does have an LCI decal on the door glass.

After looking at the door hinge and the LCI friction hinge I believe they are the same, so I am guessing my door is an LCI.
I had called LCI to ask about shades for the frameless window in the door and they confirmed it's their door and there is no window shade. So I bought a $7 paper Redi Shade from Home Depot, cut it to fit, and it works great. It's actually so wide I now have two spares.

BTW, if you have that triangular piece that secures the strut to the door frame, which way does the triangle "point"?

If it "points" to the inside, that was changed in the 2020. The triangle now "points" outward. That gives it two screws taking most of the stress instead of one.

I still had mine bend and when I removed it to straighten it out, I found Forest River used a much longer screw on the rear-facing edge, like 2" or more. The other one is still the shorter one but it makes sense that a longer screw in the hole with the most stress might have more "bite".

Ray
Old 11-17-2020, 11:39 AM   #12
Btm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post

BTW, if you have that triangular piece that secures the strut to the door frame, which way does the triangle "point"?

If it "points" to the inside, that was changed in the 2020. The triangle now "points" outward. That gives it two screws taking most of the stress instead of one.

I still had mine bend and when I removed it to straighten it out, I found Forest River used a much longer screw on the rear-facing edge, like 2" or more. The other one is still the shorter one but it makes sense that a longer screw in the hole with the most stress might have more "bite".

Ray
On my 2019 GT5 the triangle strut plate points to the inside and has bent. Wind pulled it out of my hand.

I added a third screw at the plate bend and used Blue Loctite on screws.

On my M H the door must be held until fully opened or it will swing fast and bend the plate. Once opened it holds O K.

I thought that maybe the strut was bad. I took a strut off of the outside T V door and put on the M H door (did not work) and also put the door strut on the T V door (worked correctly). So not a strut problem.

After looking at other doors, their struts are at about 45 deg. and slow at the end of extension. My triangle is only about 3 inches from the hinge point and makes the strut almost parallel to the door.

In my opinion a strut used this way will not slow the door at the end of stroke.

I don't want a cable/chain hanging down to limit the opening. I think I will try one LCI friction hinge to see if it will slow down opening the door.

Btm
Old 11-17-2020, 11:47 AM   #13
Senior Member - Retired

RVUpgrades.com is selling the LCI friction hinge sets for $33.95 (white or black). Their website has details and a video.

FYI, the existing hinges remain in place, you simply add the two new LCI hinges to your door.
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 12:01 PM   #14
NXR

Quote:
After looking at other doors, their struts are at about 45 deg. and slow at the end of extension. My triangle is only about 3 inches from the hinge point and makes the strut almost parallel to the door.

In my opinion a strut used this way will not slow the door at the end of stroke.
Unfortunately if the angle of the door strut was any greater people could trip over it. Please report back on how those hinges work.

Ray
Old 11-17-2020, 12:49 PM   #15

I’m installing today on my 2019 30x3. They look like they will fit fine.

I’ve repaired the gas strut hookups several times. Amazing they can’t secure better. Must get instructions from those who install shade screws in all RVs...all of which eventually come out.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:30 AM   #16
Btm

Friction hinges.

[QUOTE=IDguy;2452189]I知 installing today on my 2019 30x3. They look like they will fit fine.

Were you able to install the friction hinges? If so, how did they work?

I have not received mine yet.

Btm
Old 11-21-2020, 10:45 AM   #17

[QUOTE=Btm;2454336]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
I知 installing today on my 2019 30x3. They look like they will fit fine.

Were you able to install the friction hinges? If so, how did they work?

I have not received mine yet.

Btm
Plan to do it this afternoon. Good instructions. Looks easy.

Cold last night (13) but sunny so I値l wait till it warms up.

I値l decide about removing the cylinder afterwards. If it isn稚 too hard to work the door with it I値l leave it till the next time it pulls out.

I値l post how it went later.
Old 11-21-2020, 02:45 PM   #18

[QUOTE=IDguy;2454342]
Quote:

Plan to do it this afternoon. Good instructions. Looks easy.

I値l decide about removing the cylinder afterwards. If it isn稚 too hard to work the door with it I値l leave it till the next time it pulls out.

I値l post how it went later.
Looking to reread your review of the friction hinge.
Is is t 1 or 2 that come?
Do you plan to remove the hydraulic piston?

Thanks in advance.
Iggy
Old 11-21-2020, 03:39 PM   #19
Btm

[QUOTE=IDguy;2454342]
Quote:

I値l decide about removing the cylinder afterwards. If it isn稚 too hard to work the door with it I値l leave it till the next time it pulls out
It is easy to forget how cold it can be in other parts of the US. Hope it warms enough for you to work outside. Here today 78 with lows in middle 50's.

I was hoping that one hinge at the bottom would slow down the outward swing and be able to keep the strut to limit the opening to prevent hitting the awning arm when it is open.

Btm
Old 11-21-2020, 04:07 PM   #20

I have a 2020 Riverstone that came from the factory with the friction hinges. The tag on the door says it's a Challenger door.

The inside of the door on the hinge side is now separating from the frame of the door. Warranty request submitted.
rnich56 is offline   Reply With Quote