Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2022, 12:07 PM   #1

Newbie Sanitizing

I've read the fresh water sanitizing instructions on line for the Georgetown but my rv doesn't seem to have the proper fittings. I can't gravity feed the bleach mix in because the tank inlet has a screen protector. I can't follow the process versions using the outdoor shower because it would be a female to female thread.

What part of this am I missing?
Threenewfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 12:13 PM   #2

That screen protector probably is attached to a rubber washer and will pop out easily.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 12:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
That screen protector probably is attached to a rubber washer and will pop out easily.
The screen protector is on a fitting with threads meant for a hose with pressure to be screwed into it.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 12:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threenewfs View Post
I've read the fresh water sanitizing instructions on line for the Georgetown but my rv doesn't seem to have the proper fittings. I can't gravity feed the bleach mix in because the tank inlet has a screen protector. I can't follow the process versions using the outdoor shower because it would be a female to female thread.

It's hard to offer advice when we don't know what model Georgetown it is. And a picture of the water connections/control panel would also help.
Old 05-16-2022, 12:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threenewfs View Post
I can't gravity feed the bleach mix in because the tank inlet has a screen protector.
You should be able to put bleach into the fresh water hose connected to the rig. Then keeping the end higher than the ground, connect the other end to the fresh water spigot. Then you can use your fresh water tank fill to put the correct amount of bleach into the fresh water tank and pump it through to the faucets.
Old 05-16-2022, 06:49 PM   #6
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird
You should be able to put bleach into the fresh water hose connected to the rig. Then keeping the end higher than the ground, connect the other end to the fresh water spigot. Then you can use your fresh water tank fill to put the correct amount of bleach into the fresh water tank and pump it through to the faucets.
That's what I do for our 82-gallon fresh tank. A single 25' length of hose won't hold all of the bleach because of the rise at the RV end so I put two lengths together.

This is my sanitization checklist for ours:

----------

Sanitizing Procedure

Motorhome must be level to assure the Fresh Tank can be completely filled.

Turn water heater power switch off.

Loosen water filter mounting screws and remove water filter from housing. Screw the empty housing back on.

While wearing gloves, connect the water hose to Fresh Tank Fill and carefully pour 1.5 cups of bleach into the hose. Connect the hose to the faucet and turn water on.

Add water until fresh tank overflow begins to drip, then turn faucet off.

Turn water pump on. We're using the water pump instead of the City Water so the pump and its lines also get sanitized.

Open each kitchen faucet one at a time until there is a faint smell of chlorine from the hot and cold.

Repeat for the 1/2 bath sink and then flush the toilet twice.

Repeat for full bath sink, rear toilet, and shower.

Repeat for outside shower.

Run Splendide washer on Cycle 12, DRY TIME set to OFF, and WASH TEMP set to WARM. It will tumble for about four minutes, then press and hold the START button to reset the machine. Switch to Drain Cycle and press START, which takes about two minutes.

Turn water pump off.

Replenish fresh water tank level until the overflow begins dripping again. Add a bit more bleach if necessary.

Wait four hours.

Open all faucets to allow air into the system to facilitate draining. Drain the fresh water tank and lines by removing the caps underneath. Draining the 82-gallon tank can take up to two hours. Running the water pump will drain the tank in about 30 minutes via the low point drain.

After the tank is drained, replace the caps. Close all faucets.

Install a new fresh water filter and housing O-Ring. Tighten the filter bracket screws.

Add water to Fresh Tank Fill to refill the fresh water tank partially in order to flush out the water lines.

Turn water pump on.

Flush all faucets and toilets to remove chlorine smell. Run water through shower and outside shower. Run Splendide on Cycle #12 at least once and drain after it stops agitating.

Turn the water pump off.

Add the desired amount of fresh water to the tank.

Dump the tanks if possible to reduce their weight.

----------

Perhaps it will help.

You probably will not need to unscrew the water filter bracket on your 2022 because the newer models have much deeper compartments than the older ones. I have about an inch below the water filter so I need to slide the bracket up a bit in order to get the water filter housing off.

Ray
Old 05-16-2022, 06:51 PM   #7
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threenewfs
I can't gravity feed the bleach mix in because the tank inlet has a screen protector.
If yours is like ours, the fresh water (and city water) fittings are not just screened. They also are a spring-loaded check valve that's used as a backflow preventer.

Ray
Old 05-16-2022, 08:29 PM   #8

Thanks NXR, I do have the back flow valve as you mentioned. Your detailed sanitizing process was easy.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
That's what I do for our 82-gallon fresh tank. :
Ray
Very nice description of the procedure. Thanks for that.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:55 PM   #10
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird
Very nice description of the procedure. Thanks for that.
Thanks. That's my aviation maintenance background kicking in and the realization that my memory may not be what it once was. I think.

Ray
Old 05-16-2022, 11:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks. That's my aviation maintenance background kicking in and the realization that my memory may not be what it once was. I think.

Ray
Hi! U.S. Navy Aviation Maintenance Duty Officer here.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:36 AM   #12

Ok you two. I thought this was a nice clean, honest forum. Now you had to mess it up with your navy references. :-) USMC comm elec maintenance.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:40 AM   #13

To everyone that responded, thank you. Your guidance is much appreciated.
Old 05-17-2022, 03:36 PM   #14
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threenewfs
Ok you two. I thought this was a nice clean, honest forum. Now you had to mess it up with your navy references. :-) USMC comm elec maintenance.
Isn't the Marine Corp part of the US Navy?
Old 05-18-2022, 09:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Isn't the Marine Corp part of the US Navy?
Oh boy, here we go!! LOL!
Mooney 78865 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 10:10 AM   #16

There are two threaded pipes near the axles on my 321. There are gray valve handles attached to both of them. Does anyone know what these pipes are for?
paqcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags