Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2011, 11:44 PM   #1

Newbie with more problems than happy trips

Hello All,

I'd like to start by saying thank you to all of the seasoned professionals out there that have been giving great advice, it has helped. So the wife and I bought our first motorhome three months ago, a 2011 Georgetown 341 ds. Seemed like a good beginner coach but we're not so sure now.

First, at the conclusion of our first trip I tried to retract the passenger side slide with no luck. It sounded like the electric motor was staining and blew the 30 amp fuse, loaded three more fuses with the same result. I was finally able to retract the slide by using the leveling jacks to raise the left side of the coach as high as possible and limp the slide in.

A two hour drive to the dealer and three weeks later, it was determined that the weather stripping was getting caught between the bottom of the slide and bottom rollers. The fix was to install a new seal and notch out around the rollers.

Trip number two was cut short by another failure, we lost power to the front AC unit and all of the outlets while using the generator. Not a big deal for me but to the wife it was enough to pack up and come home, mostly because of our infant child and the wifes milking contraption not having juice.

When we got home the entry/exit stairs began going crazy. Upon entry or exit, the stairs would either extend or retract numerous times before settling into the final position.

Two more hours to the dealer and another week later, The dealer said the loss of power was due to a loose connection at a junction box and the stair motor was bad. I'll pick the coach up next week and find out exactly what happened to the juice.

These are just three problems, I've left out the approximate 8 hours of tightning, sealing and fixing a hundred other loose ends.

Please, somebody tell me everything is going to be OK and it was a good purchase, even if its a lie.

P.S.
I'll get my profile up to par before long.
Phantom341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:10 AM   #2

to the forum, and yes what you are going thru is quite normal in the world of new RV's, I am not being cynical, but it is a fact, all have teething problems to a degree. One thing I have noticed is that some owners are a bit more technically (DIY) inclined than others, I think you obviously fall into this category and so will do well. Look forward to your posts and "fixes".

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:11 AM   #3

Hang in there, once they get the "bugs" out, it will be fine. We had ours for less than two months, and had a major leak in the ceiling on the slide out. They took care of it at the dealer and replaced the ceiling. Keep us informed.
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:35 AM   #4

Welcome to the board! Sorry about your issues with the new coach. I don't know that it'll make you feel better but we purchased our '11 G'town 280DS in Feb and have not had any problems with it. There are a few cosmetic things that we will have fixed but >>>>knocking on wood<<<<< no mechanical issues. Yet. I think we've been lucky.

Hopefully, you'll get your coach fixed up and all of you will enjoy RVing soon.

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #5

Once you get all the original factory problems resolved it will get much better. The best thing to do is get out and use it so you can find those problems and get it fixed before the warranty expires. I like to think of it as free training to become a certified RV technician
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #6

Our Georgetown also had issues. It sounds like your dealer is willing to take care of them. I feel for you though - you buy an expensive piece of eq uipment and instead of enjoying your weekend you end up stewing and worrying about problems you can't fix. We've had ours a year just got back from a 3 week trip from Alberta Canada to Cape Cod. Advice? Learn as much as you can, be prepared for little issues (like having those spare fuses, and having basic tools), and stay on top of the issues you find. One thing I did was to get an expanding file folder and insert all the various manuals diagrams and information. Now the manuals are not wonderful, but at least you'll have the toll free numbers handy as well as some limited instructions.

Congratulations on the baby!
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

It will be ok. We've all gone through some issues with our coaches. Some small issues, some larger but as stated above, the key is to use it and find those issues while still in warranty. We driveway camp every year early in the season and run it through it's paces. I rather have an issue at home and correct it instead of fixing things while on the road. Hang in there it will get better. Just remember there are plenty of others out there that spent way more than you for the same problems. All manufacturers have them. Just check out some other forums and you'll read the same issues by RVers that thought by spending more they would have the perfect coach. I'm sure there's plenty of people that have no problems. Anything mechanical can have a problem. Any way we can help just ask! Congrats on the Georgetown!!!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #8

Hey, hang in there.

I am kind of a newbie myself, bought our first coach (a used 2005 Georgetown) last Dec and went off to Fla for the winter.

My experience says that motor homes are complex devices that bounce and vibrate seriously on every trip. they are going to develop problems. But, the running gear is first class and the price is reasonable vs. the features. I have heard it takes a year to debug new coaches and that comes from Winnebago owners.

Mine has given me a few minor problems and since I have no warranty I just get them fixed whereever I can.

It will all work out...Happy Camping..

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #9

Yeah, you should be able to work out the bugs as long as you are committed to working out the bugs.

Take the time to look everything over closely. See if you can find things that don't look quite right and get them fixed. Find small, fix small is always a good philososphy.

Do try to learn how the systems function. Knowing what systems are suppose to do generally help you diagnose problems.
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:28 PM   #10

We bought a 2007 coach that sat in dealer lots till 2009 when we bought it. The first two dealers went bankrupt so you can imagine how much attention it didn't get. Not good for an RV. The day I went to pick it up the hydraulic pump failed so the coach sat for a week while Lippert shipped a new motor. We blithely went on a 2,000 mile trip like total newbies and survived somehow. Made most of the mistakes one can make. I spent tons of time reading ALL the old posts on this site and on IRV about my chassis as well. Found lots of super folks to give advice and hold my hand when needed.

Give everything some time to shake out, stay in touch with your dealer, use the warranty to the limit and ask the contributors here for help. Worst case keep careful records of everything. If you have to use lemon laws or threats of lawsuits then so be it. However, most of these coaches settle out, we get smarter, problems get fixed and we have a ball. We love our 391 and it seems to like us back.

Good luck.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #11

Thank you all very much for the reassurance. I relayed all of the replies to my wife and she is feeling better about our issues. Open road here we come! (With a pocket full of fuses)
Old 08-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #12

ref slide issue

I have had my share of issues with a new 2011 360, so I understand. I am fortunate that my dealer is 5 miles away and has been super fixing all the little things. I was wondering about pulling slide in, all my literature says it is best to either be plugged in to electric or have gen running, to make sure there is enough power for the slides to operate properly. Just mentioned this as I did not see a mention in your first post.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #13

Thank you all for the replies and great advice. The dealer called and the coach is ready to be picked up. Hopefully we will pick it up this weekend and I'll be sure and share what the fix was so hopefully it will help someone else.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #14

I've had mine a year now and have had very little issues, minor in my book, I tend to fix most things myself unless they are expensive or very labor intensive. Keep at it and it should be a good unit.
megaman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bend302 View Post
My experience says that motor homes are complex devices that bounce and vibrate seriously on every trip. they are going to develop problems
Now you know why it took them so long to get the Space Shuttle back up after every trip. Imagine the rattling that thing went through. And it was the most complex vehicle ever built by most accounts.

And when it failed you couldn't just take a cab to a motel for the night.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #16
Anacortesians

We've been very lucky with our 325, which we bought at 8 years old from the original, very fastidious owners. We've had one water ingress problem resulting from a rotted slide topper combined with a rolled-over blade seal in the living room slide ceiling. We had the seal fixed and new toppers installed, but, over the off-season, the cabinet woodwork developed mold, so I'm about halfway through building and installing replacement cabinets.

We still have a couple of other issues. The bottom-face blade seal on the bedroom slide has rolled over for about a 6" length, so the next task will be to lubricated it with graphite - shouldn't be a big deal, but the gap down at that corner is big enough for squirrels to get in.

The other issue might be more complex, and I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience of it and fixed it. The forward-most cargo door on the driver's side isn't closing properly. The lock/striker work fine, but the aluminum angle running along the top of the door aperture, where the door hinbes are attached, seems to be pulling away, leaving the top of the door not flush with the sidewall above it. I can't find where that angle piece is structurally attached. I suspect there may be some wood rot in the cargo bay outer ceiling. It's not a show-stopper, but it is a concern.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom341 View Post
Hello All,

I'd like to start by saying thank you to all of the seasoned professionals out there that have been giving great advice, it has helped. So the wife and I bought our first motorhome three months ago, a 2011 Georgetown 341 ds. Seemed like a good beginner coach but we're not so sure now............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .............
Please, somebody tell me everything is going to be OK and it was a good purchase, even if its a lie.

P.S.
I'll get my profile up to par before long.
Everything is going to be OK and it was a good purchase.!!!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:40 PM   #18

Wow that sounded like a nightmare. I can understand the frustration for having issues right off the lot. We spend a lot of money on our coaches and expect a lot in return. Glad its working out for you.

IMO a 1st shakedown camping trip in a new RV should be with a bunch of guys with fishing polls, a tool chest, and a fridge full of beer.
SoMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoMoney View Post

IMO a 1st shakedown camping trip in a new RV should be with a bunch of guys with fishing polls, a tool chest, and a fridge full of beer.
This is the most sensible idea I have heard of in ages..... Count me in!!!! We should start a new company, ShakedownsRus.com

Anyone else?

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #20

ShakedownsRus...... Works for me... I'm in.. when do we start????
RRMCJIM is offline   Reply With Quote