Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2014, 04:50 PM   #1

No Shore Power

Just returned from a trip in my Georgetown 337. When I plugged into my shore power source at the house, I get zero AC power into the RV. Checked AC Breakers on the main panel in the coach - all checked good. Checked power coming from the house source - checked good. Tried the generator and get good AC power in the coach from the gen set.

When I left my last RV camp site I started the gen set before unplugging shore power. Could this have caused the problem??

Before I enlist the services of a repair shop, I thought maybe someone out there can give me a clue as to what might be wrong.

Thanks, Ken
bendrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:33 PM   #2

It seems your auto-transfer switch is not functioning properly. Do a search here for "Georgetown transfer switch" and hopefully you will get the info required to check it out.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:42 PM   #3

Like fonzie said, your transfer switch. Probably one of the relays is jacked up. You can safely fire up the genset with shorepower.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:45 PM   #4

Thanks Guys. It was the transfer switch. I removed the cover, everything looked normal (to the untrained eye). I rapped it a couple of times, plugged back in and power came up normally. Cycled it several times with genset on and off and all seems to be normal.
Now the question is, is this hung up relay just a transient thing or can I expect it to reoccur with increased frequency? Is there any adjustment that can be made, or should I just plan on keeping the rubber mallet handy??

Thanks again, Ken
bendrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:31 PM   #5

It could be dirty contacts on the shore power relay.
Most transfer switches have two relays. One for shore power and the other for generator power.
When the generator is started you should hear the "gen relay" activating. Then turn off the generator.
When you plug in shore power you should hear the "shore power relay" activating?
If it does and still no power, then you probably have bad "power shore relay" contacts since you have power sometimes.
Most relays have removable/replaceable contacts. Sometimes a good cleaning is all you need.

Please keep in mind that you are messing with HIGH VOLTAGE and the shore power plug should be UNPLUGGED from the receptacle and the generator needs to be OFF.

Tags
power