Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2018, 03:28 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
When DW was going through therapy, she was an inspiration as to her total commitment to recovery. Years later, I had bi-lateral total knee replacements (both done at the same time). Needless to say, it was not a cake walk. But, DW made me move when I really did not want to, both at out patient therapy and at home. For this particular type of surgery, the out patient physical therapy was a benefit. It is now 12 years since the surgeries and the knees are doing well. I attribute her persistence to getting me back on my feet-and staying on my feet.

Some individuals will not follow though with any therapy and that is courting disaster. Doctors would prefer that the therapy be monitored and there are a few advantages, but it is mostly to see that the patient does the therapy and does it correctly. It is admirable that you have the fortitude to be committed to your recovery. You are a model patient.
You were right Joe, we just have to be committed and force yourself to fight back for our faster recovery so we could move on and live the life to its fullness. Many thanks for many of your and other friends here that encourage me to do more and faster.
tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:38 PM   #42

Ha ha ha... it is kind of funny that 40 years ago, we could have been sat down and talk about how many beers we could drink, how much sex that we could engage... and today, 40 years later, we are talking about how many hearts bypasses and knee surgeries that each one of us did go through or may possible going through in the future.

God bless you all, but one thing I do suggest to everyone who is still healthy and never has any heart condition. If you have over 60, you need to visit your cardiologist to make sure that you take the two most important tests:
1 - The Stress test
2 - The Echo test
To ensure you have a great time for the rest of your life.

In my case, I did some of this test back in 2010 and did not follow up later, and this happened to me. Granted, since I have diabetes, I have more chance of the heart problem, but for the at least for the last 10 years or longer, I never have high blood pressure, high cholesterol or anything that related show up in my blood tests.

That said, do not rely much on your blood test to determine how healthy your heart is.

Good luck to you all, and God bless all of you.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:51 PM   #43
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Thanks, Tam for the encouragement and advice. I just went thru the battery of tests, and the cardio found an irregularity in my EKG a year ago. Went thru his battery of tests, nuclear and treadmill, with and without dye, seems the irregularity is ok for me. Got sent on my way.

We retired 4 years early, as everything there is ok. The only bite is paying for health care, which is bigger than my house payment was! That said, we have begun our wanderings. Waiting out for another test on DW, then we will be off again in late August ?...until it freezes.

Good luck to you and yours, safe travels when you can. Thanks for the shares. Just another thing about the folks on here! A neat post to lean on sometimes!
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:35 AM   #44
Back On The Go

Tam and Ha, we are sorry to hear about your misfortunes and wish you the best in the future. We enjoy your travel stories and hope to hear many more.

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:02 PM   #45

This information is from Cardio Smart on the American Cardiology website:

Why is this type of program important?

Cardiac rehab can be lifesaving for many people. It can help to prevent future heart problems, cardiac events and related deaths. According to studies, people who go to cardiac rehab have up to 30 percent fewer fatal heart events, and are 25 percent less likely to die compared to people getting standard therapy alone. They also can lower their chance of a second heart attack or heart surgery.

People who enroll in this program typically have more success when it comes to controlling other cardiovascular risk factors (e.g., high blood pressure, cholesterol). That’s because cardiac rehab programs are comprehensive, focusing on the whole patient and equipping him/her with the tools and information needed to make health changes that are sustainable.

Other benefits include:

Less chest pain, and in some cases less need for medications to treat it
Preventing future hospital stays
Weight loss
Better nutrition and the know-how to make heart healthy choices
Reduced stress and greater emotional wellbeing

If your cardiac rehab place does not offer more than just monitoring your heart while you are on a treadmill, please look for another cardiac rehab facility in your area. They should provide you with a lot more than that.

I am sorry your plans got changed, but that is what life is about and what makes for the best stories in the future! Also, I always see it as God possibly protecting me from something worse. You could have gone on your trip, been in a bad accident, and had even more problems. Look to the positive and it helps you deal with the negative.

I hope you both are well on your way to recovery and that your travel days are just around the corner!

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:52 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie1138 View Post
Thanks, Tam for the encouragement and advice. I just went thru the battery of tests, and the cardio found an irregularity in my EKG a year ago. Went thru his battery of tests, nuclear and treadmill, with and without dye, seems the irregularity is ok for me. Got sent on my way.

We retired 4 years early, as everything there is ok. The only bite is paying for health care, which is bigger than my house payment was! That said, we have begun our wanderings. Waiting out for another test on DW, then we will be off again in late August ?...until it freezes.

Good luck to you and yours, safe travels when you can. Thanks for the shares. Just another thing about the folks on here! A neat post to lean on sometimes!
I am a little confused, the test seems "irregular" is ok for you? that is strange. However, so long as you are doing ok, that is what matter.

Good luck to you and your DW. Safe travel and hope to hear lots of good story from you.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:53 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by salwolfe View Post
Tam and Ha, we are sorry to hear about your misfortunes and wish you the best in the future. We enjoy your travel stories and hope to hear many more.
Hello Salwolfe, thanks for your wishes, and enjoy my two cents, ha ha ha...

Have a wonderful time.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:58 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGator View Post
This information is from Cardio Smart on the American Cardiology website:

Why is this type of program important?

Cardiac rehab can be lifesaving for many people. It can help to prevent future heart problems, cardiac events and related deaths. According to studies, people who go to cardiac rehab have up to 30 percent fewer fatal heart events, and are 25 percent less likely to die compared to people getting standard therapy alone. They also can lower their chance of a second heart attack or heart surgery.

People who enroll in this program typically have more success when it comes to controlling other cardiovascular risk factors (e.g., high blood pressure, cholesterol). That’s because cardiac rehab programs are comprehensive, focusing on the whole patient and equipping him/her with the tools and information needed to make health changes that are sustainable.

Other benefits include:

Less chest pain, and in some cases less need for medications to treat it
Preventing future hospital stays
Weight loss
Better nutrition and the know-how to make heart healthy choices
Reduced stress and greater emotional wellbeing

If your cardiac rehab place does not offer more than just monitoring your heart while you are on a treadmill, please look for another cardiac rehab facility in your area. They should provide you with a lot more than that.

I am sorry your plans got changed, but that is what life is about and what makes for the best stories in the future! Also, I always see it as God possibly protecting me from something worse. You could have gone on your trip, been in a bad accident, and had even more problems. Look to the positive and it helps you deal with the negative.

I hope you both are well on your way to recovery and that your travel days are just around the corner!
Hello CampingGator.

Thanks for your information, advice, cheering as well as your encouragement. I will give another thought about the rehabilitation. It may be a good idea for doing so.

God bless you and hope you have a great time.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:36 PM   #49
Recently new!

Tam, I did not elaborate...as not to hijack the thread. Long story short, I had shoulder manipulation and they put me out, done over a year ago. During which, EKG showed a right branch bundle block...and a trip to the cardiologist later, 26 minutes on a treadmill trying to get my heart rate up to 150. Had to force it by holding breath, trying to outrun the machine....you get the idea. When asked how tired, I was at 6-7. No shortness of breath, palpitations, no pains, etc... The Dr. said he has put people on pacemakers for far less and sees no need for me to be on one. I run a 6 minute mile (heart rate at 135), I hike/backpack the mountains with the Scouts regularly. Not on any medications. I just retired from a job that required me to walk up to 12 miles a day and climb ladders, stairs and an occasional radio tower. He says continue with what I am doing, and gave me a list of worries to watch out for.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:40 PM   #50
Recently new!

The DW health issue is why we decided it was time for me to retire 2-4 years early. I almost lost her out of the blue. She had a colon rupture and ...... You get the idea.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:21 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie1138 View Post
The DW health issue is why we decided it was time for me to retire 2-4 years early. I almost lost her out of the blue. She had a colon rupture and ...... You get the idea.
Wow, seems like you had gone through a tough time. Hope that all of those are over now. Wish you have a much better time ahead to have such a wonderful retirement time.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:06 PM   #52

I can empathize. got back from a camping trip ans my knee started acting up. Turned out I have a torn meniscus. Had to cancel our trip to St. Louis for my nieces' wedding.

Could operate but I have arthritis, too and the surgeon said he could fix it, but it would only make the arthritis worse. So, just taking care of it.

"Red" my 2018 Ford Lariat F-150 4X4 W/ Max Tow pkg
"Rover" our 2018 Forest River Wildwood X-Lite 241qbxl
revbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:40 PM   #53

So sorry about your health problems. I was sick for 10 years, 22 hospitalizations, and, I got top knotch care and never paid one cent. I am a US citizen living in Canada. Now we RV in our Dynamax Isata 3❤.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:48 AM   #54

Feel better real soon! We had a similar but not as traumatic 2018 as well.
Dbrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:17 AM   #55

Good luck to all of you. Back to camping next year!

Tags
travel