Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2021, 09:20 AM   #1

Now This Year’s Alaska Trip Looks Problematic

We had to push last year’s RV trip to Alaska to this year due to Covid. We hope to go in June. I’ve done it twice before in RV. Wife and I getting second vaccination in ten days.

However Canada PM just issued more restrictive travel rules for coming in from US. You need to quarantine three days in Govt approved (ridiculously priced) hotel for three nights while they diddle with covid test. No statement on dogs. No acceptance of vaccinations.

So not looking good.
Old 02-13-2021, 08:32 PM   #2

Probably the only way to get to Alaska now, with a camper, is on the ferry system from Washington. And, without looking, I'm sure there are all sorts of Covid restrictions and policies.
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 08:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogman View Post
Probably the only way to get to Alaska now, with a camper, is on the ferry system from Washington. And, without looking, I'm sure there are all sorts of Covid restrictions and policies.
Did that on our last trip but drove to Port something a few hundred miles N of Vancouver to launch. It is an awesome way to go because you can stop for no extra charge. We did Wrangle, Petersburg and Juneau that time. But it gets expensive and going all the way from Bellingham to Haines will make it more so. Plus now have Class A vs. Pickup Camper last time. It goes by the foot and 12 ft longer this time with motorcycle on back.

Probably $2 kish. But save $600+ on fuel.

And new wife has family in northern Idaho (450 miles from Boise) we hoped to visit on way up. And the drive is awesome.

If that is our only choice we’ll probably do it. Then we need to only deal with whatever Alaska wants then.

And we do need to get back.
Old 02-13-2021, 08:53 PM   #4

We pushed all our reservations to this year also - it does not look good!
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 08:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogman View Post
It might not be horrible. I don't know what the requirements are for a "Self-Isolation Plan". That's behind the travel portal login page and I didn't bother creating an account.

https://covid19.alaska.gov/travelers/
All Non-Alaska Residents entering Alaska from another state or country must:

Submit a Travel Declaration and Self-Isolation Plan Through the Portal.
and
Arrive with proof of a qualifying negative COVID-19 test.
or
Purchase a COVID-19 test for $250 when you arrive in Alaska, and self-quarantine at your expense until results arrive.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 09:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
Did that on our last trip but drove to Port something a few hundred miles N of Vancouver to launch. It is an awesome way to go because you can stop for no extra charge. We did Wrangle, Petersburg and Juneau that time. But it gets expensive and going all the way from Bellingham to Haines will make it more so. Plus now have Class A vs. Pickup Camper last time. It goes by the foot and 12 ft longer this time with motorcycle on back.

Probably $2 kish. But save $600+ on fuel.

And new wife has family in northern Idaho (450 miles from Boise) we hoped to visit on way up. And the drive is awesome.

If that is our only choice we’ll probably do it. Then we need to only deal with whatever Alaska wants then.

And we do need to get back.
Well. I was way off on price. Over $5k (one way!). Plus no availability within 90 days of when we want to go.

Another option is to fly and rent RV there.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
It might not be horrible. I don't know what the requirements are for a "Self-Isolation Plan". That's behind the travel portal login page and I didn't bother creating an account.

https://covid19.alaska.gov/travelers/
All Non-Alaska Residents entering Alaska from another state or country must:

Submit a Travel Declaration and Self-Isolation Plan Through the Portal.
and
Arrive with proof of a qualifying negative COVID-19 test.
or
Purchase a COVID-19 test for $250 when you arrive in Alaska, and self-quarantine at your expense until results arrive.
Hopefully that will change by June.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:19 PM   #8
Canadian Member

No one up here is expecting the border to open until into the summer because vaccination roll out is going unacceptably slowly. It’s supposed to be “essential travel only” crossing our border but up until recently non-essential travellers were coming in by air and some by land. With the new variants now present in many states and provinces, the federal government is finally getting serious and made it an expensive and onerous proposition to come in.

The vaccination will hopefully prevent you from getting a serious case of Covid but there’s no evidence yet that it prevents you from being a carrier and spreading it to others so it doesn’t give you an exception to the travel restrictions.

For now, if you insist on going to Alaska and neither of you are either an Alaskan or Canadian resident, you’ll have to use a US ferry service if that’s an option.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
No one up here is expecting the border to open until into the summer because vaccination roll out is going unacceptably slowly. It’s supposed to be “essential travel only” crossing our border but up until recently non-essential travellers were coming in by air and some by land. With the new variants now present in many states and provinces, the federal government is finally getting serious and made it an expensive and onerous proposition to come in.

The vaccination will hopefully prevent you from getting a serious case of Covid but there’s no evidence yet that it prevents you from being a carrier and spreading it to others so it doesn’t give you an exception to the travel restrictions.

For now, if you insist on going to Alaska and neither of you are either an Alaskan or Canadian resident, you’ll have to use a US ferry service if that’s an option.
Of course air is an option too. But then our pooch can’t come and bringing back fish is limited.

Highly likely vaccination makes you unlikely to transmit. But know logic has little to do with politics.

Going in fall is an option but did that once and not as good. Hoped Caribou would be in full antlers but missed that hunting season is on, migration has started, and days already getting short.

We’ll see what happens. Good news is we are retired so flexible.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by debit View Post
We pushed all our reservations to this year also - it does not look good!
Fortunately we don’t use reservations for RV travel. Much prefer boondocking. Canada provincial parks mostly don’t need reservations.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
Hopefully that will change by June.
Even if it doesn't, it shouldn't prevent you from going on the trip.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 11:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Even if it doesn't, it shouldn't prevent you from going on the trip.
Well, living in the most awesome part of the US we certainly will be happy campers. Other than this covid has not affected us or our family.

I might even buy a pickup camper for my Canyon. It will be a lot cheaper to ship and pooch can come. Save enough on fuel to pay for it. Have considered something else anyway as the Class A doesn’t work for some places I like to go.

One past option was Arctic Fox trailer and pickup camper. Worked well.

Options!
Old 02-14-2021, 02:52 PM   #13

If you really are looking for camping in Alaska as opposed to enjoying the experience of the whole trip up through Canada. I would consider flying and renting. Now is the time to reserve and save 10% or more. Might be even more than normal savings due to covid. Airlines probably giving great discounts.

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 05:07 PM   #14
Another adventure awaits!

Same protocols apply to us Canadians returning from any travelling outside Canada; PM is not singling out travellers from USA, affects all travellers coming into Canada including returning Canadians ... all have to self isolate at a hotel for three days until results of COVID test are known, at their own expense (as it should be) ... trying to get COVID under control ... be thankful you have been able to get vaccinated ... we are not so lucky here ... delays in getting vaccinated is beyond acceptable ... also thanks to PM ...
You might want to consider flying into/cruising to Alaska and renting a motorhome ... wish you all the best with your travels ... travel and be safe
Old 02-14-2021, 06:16 PM   #15

I am watching this thread as I postponed a 2020 trip to the lower 48 from Alaska.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 06:26 PM   #16
2014 XLR 27HFS

We planned to hit the Canadian border on our way to Alaska in late May, but it looks like neither place will be getting my tourist money this year. I'll spend it in the lower 48 and see if people stop believing the media liars next year.
Old 02-14-2021, 08:42 PM   #17

We are taking a caravan June 2 moved from last year so I been watching it close. There is a group from US and Canada negotiating to reopen lesd by NY because of the Niagara area. I think Feb 21st something will be announced.
KNMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 11:18 PM   #18

Gee Dave, regarding Covid, the “media liars” I’m familiar with would welcome your travel, regardless of the consequences. Please take a deep breath, count your blessings, love your neighbor, and try a diverse diet of media consumption. Perhaps your blood pressure will improve.
Rkloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 11:28 PM   #19

Found another problem with Ferry option. It may be why their were no sailings available.

Canada has banned all cruise ships...and just extended it to 2022. The Alaska Ferry makes several stops in Canada. Couldn’t find anything on that on web site.

We really prefer driving anyway so looks like it might be another year.
Old 02-14-2021, 11:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfrede View Post
If you really are looking for camping in Alaska as opposed to enjoying the experience of the whole trip up through Canada. I would consider flying and renting. Now is the time to reserve and save 10% or more. Might be even more than normal savings due to covid. Airlines probably giving great discounts.
Thanks for the thought.

Pricing silly. $200 per night and up. We’ll wait and see.