Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2018, 01:39 PM   #1

Oil maintenance reminder...

My coach is a 2016 with a 2015 F53 chassis. The owners manual shows a procedure for resetting the oil maintenance reminder. The procedure is basically;
1. Turn on ignition (don't start engine).
2. Depress brake and accelerator simultaneously all the way.
3. Within three seconds a message should appear indicating reset in progress.
4. After 30 seconds the reset should indicate completed.

Following these instructions on my coach doesn't seem to do anything. I get no indications or messages. Anyone do this successfully?

Thanks in advance. - Mark
my10539isok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:35 PM   #2

Update on my question...

It may be that the reset can't be done unless the Service Oil message is being displayed. (I tried to reset the system it although it wasn't indicated as being time to change the oil.) Therefore my question may be moot. Even though I'll likely always change the oil before the system says it's time, I'll let it go now until I get the message to change it and try resetting it then. That'll probably do it.

Mark
Old 09-27-2018, 06:29 PM   #3

You held down both pedals for the entire time - 3+30?
Old 09-27-2018, 06:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul GA View Post
You held down both pedals for the entire time - 3+30?
Yes. I waited a full minute with the pedals depressed, then repeated. The manual says that "after 3 seconds the Service: Oil reset in prog. message will be displayed. After 25 Seconds the Service: Oil reset complete. message will be displayed."

Neither message appeared. I'm thinking now that since that the system never said it was time to change the oil, there was nothing to reset. We'll find out eventually as I'll continue to do maintenance (likely more frequently than the system says) and wait for the system to alert me. Then we'll give it another go.

Other vehicles I own generally get serviced more frequently than the system alerts say, but they allow me to reset them (and give me confirmation that it's been done). I'm sure other owners do too. In any case, no harm no foul. I just wanted to be sure how it operated.

Thanks everyone. - Mark
Old 09-28-2018, 07:46 PM   #5

Do all of the F53 have an oil change indicator light that comes on. I did the first oil change at 3000 and will be hitting 5000 over the next week. Was curious if and when I should see the light come on.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclinton View Post
Do all of the F53 have an oil change indicator light that comes on?
I know the '15 and '16 do as I read it in their owners manuals. Here is the URL of the F53 chassis web site.

https://www.ford.com/commercial-truc...f53-motorhome/

You can access owners manuals under the "Owner" topic. The oil reminder light is mentioned under "Maintenance". I don't know what the algorithm is that the computer uses to trigger the notification, but the first interval mentioned for oil changes in the maintenance schedule is 7,500 miles or six months. My coach was two years old and had only 3,800 miles on it when I bought it. There was no reminder displayed, probably due to the mileage, but I changed the oil anyway due to the age and my lack of knowledge of the coach's history. (I figured it had been sitting on various lots for at least the last year.) If the reminder ever appears, I'll find this thread again and update it.

Good luck everyone. - Mark

Tags
maintenance