Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2021, 01:35 PM   #1

Ok let's talk suspension modifications you are happy with?

So as I am committed to making my 2021 GT7 36K7 as safe, fun and awesome I can, the suspension is my next frontier.

So far I have done:
1) shocks on all undercarriage doors instead of the flaps
2) Totally upgraded the camera system to Total Vision Products:
3) Upgraded my audio speakers, added a sub, added speakers in the cabinets of the living room and bedroom with a cutoff switch
4) added undercarriage LED lighting all around
5) Blue ox towing system
6) Tyron tire bands

I am now ready to tackle the suspension/ride quality. This thing sways a lot and feels loose when driving. Has anyone found the right combo that helps stiffen the drive, reduce the sway and been pleased, if so please share!
thebigkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:02 AM   #2

allot of stuff being done to a new rig have you ever looked at liquid springs might be just what you are looking for in terms of suspension.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 12:42 PM   #3
NXR

Do you have the V8 or the V10? If the V8, check your sway bar links for the proper torque. Many a person with the new V8 chassis have reported the link bolts are very loose or even missing. The V10 sway bar bolt torque was 66 ft lbs but I do not know what the torque is for the new, fatter sway bars.

Ray
Old 07-15-2021, 09:36 PM   #4

Our rig was A lunatic until we added the jeep and now we’re cruising down the highway. The Jeep creates a large sway bar to his but. Absolutely an amazing transformation.
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 04:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigkat View Post
So as I am committed to making my 2021 GT7 36K7 as safe, fun and awesome I can, the suspension is my next frontier.

I am now ready to tackle the suspension/ride quality. This thing sways a lot and feels loose when driving. Has anyone found the right combo that helps stiffen the drive, reduce the sway and been pleased, if so please share!

That is one big buggy. Our friends with a comparable length Thor, took to a dealer in Redding CA and had a fairly large complement of BIG SHOCKS and Roadmaster chassis stuff done.

IF the LIQUID SPRING deal is too costly road Master is a place to start. If it has been me I would have made an appointment with ROADMASTER in Vancouver WA and gone straight to the mother ship. I have heard that it is a lot more cost effective than a lot of dealers. I saw the invoice from Redding and had to have a drink after and it was not ever my bill.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
allot of stuff being done to a new rig have you ever looked at liquid springs might be just what you are looking for in terms of suspension.
So I talked to my RV guy, he looked this up, called the company and owner. Called me back and said this seems like the real deal! It is pricy but we are going to move forward with it. Thank you SeaDog
Old 07-16-2021, 06:41 PM   #7

Quote:
So I talked to my RV guy, he looked this up, called the company and owner. Called me back and said this seems like the real deal! It is pricy but we are going to move forward with it. Thank you SeaDog

At least I, but probably others will be interested to know HOW PRICEY

The fact that they have Demo RVs running around and that no one on YouTube or any advertising MENTIONS THE PRICE, is scary.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Old 07-16-2021, 06:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
At least I, but probably others will be interested to know HOW PRICEY

The fact that they have Demo RVs running around and that no one on YouTube or any advertising MENTIONS THE PRICE, is scary.
It's going to run me a little over $20k.... I know that's a lot but I use this thing every month going somewhere and I am committed to enjoying it until my kids get to college age and at that point I'll get a coach that is more husband/wife centered
Old 07-16-2021, 06:54 PM   #9

Quote:
At least two of us over on the Sunseeker forum had LiquidSpring installed (on E450) earlier this year. It is a good system, the real deal. I was mainly looking for a better ride, but I was surprised that the handling improved as well.
Old 07-16-2021, 07:00 PM   #10

Quote:
It's going to run me a little over $20k.... I know that's a lot but I use this thing every month going somewhere and I am committed to enjoying it until my kids get to college age and at that point I'll get a coach that is more husband/wife centered

Let me stop complaining about the $2500 I have had to spend to calm mine down and the $700 I am about to drop for a high end alignment shop and the eight new shocks I am considering at about $200 a pop installed

I will consider myself to be in heaven and still under $5,000 out of pocket.

Eager to hear more about the Liquid Springs when you get that going

Best of Luck and as Chef John says on the end of his YouTube' "and MOST OF ALL ENJOY"
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Old 07-17-2021, 03:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
Let me stop complaining about the $2500 I have had to spend to calm mine down and the $700 I am about to drop for a high end alignment shop and the eight new shocks I am considering at about $200 a pop installed

I will consider myself to be in heaven and still under $5,000 out of pocket.

Eager to hear more about the Liquid Springs when you get that going

Best of Luck and as Chef John says on the end of his YouTube' "and MOST OF ALL ENJOY"
Thank you!

It will be 6-8 weeks until the suspension gets in but already looking forward to it. I will post updates
Old 07-17-2021, 08:02 AM   #12

Ok let's talk suspension modifications you are happy with?

Yes, the liquid springs has been worth every penny to us on our E450 chassis.

Just did the rear but the ride, drivability, etc is better than we hoped based in reviews before we pulled the trigger on it. And nice being able to raise it before pulling in our driveway - was close before but now I have more clearance. And lowering at the campground before leveling - not as many blocks and jacks don’t have to extend as much to get it level.

Amazing how it cut down the impact of big trucks passing is on the highway and even in round abouts the lean is compensated for automatically.

We have some nasty railroad tracks between us and where we store and every time I go over them now I chuckle since the coach takes them better than our cars do.

Last time out my wife started laughing since she could hear the plastic flatware rattling in the container under the sink. As we all know too well those types of sounds are not normally audible over all the other banging etc going down the road in these things.

It is expensive but our coach is our retirement one so it was worth it in the long run to us.
Old 07-18-2021, 07:05 AM   #13

Until Ford decides to abandon the archaic F53 suspension it will never ride nice. Here should be an option for air suspension all around and be completely redesigned with independent front suspension better rear axle mounting like a solid control arms with a trak bar to properly locate the axle!

This is all possible, but without any other chassis manuf they don’t care! IDE love to see a diesel option as well. And not a diesel dropped into a gas chassis like the FRED chassis.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:52 PM   #14

Hellwig Swaybars front and back - best investment ever

I can't say it enough, if your RV is on the F53 chassis I urge you to get the Hellwig upgraded sway bars for front and back. the improvement to the ride is game-changing. My wife used to be terrified of riding in the RV, cornering was a nightmare of body roll. Now it rides like a city bus, I can take corners at the full recommended hwy speeds now. It went from a white-knuckle experience to fingertip control. The investment is about $1,000 all up, I was able to do the installation myself with the help of a 24" breaker-bar, but you can pay a shop to do it pretty quick.
dowend is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, modifications, suspension