Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2016, 04:40 PM   #1

ONAN RV QG 5500 Generator Won't Crank

OK, I have a 2014 FR Georgetown, 351DS RV with a ONAN gas generator. Model RV QG5500. Its a 5500 watt. The power switch at the generator is solid red, no error codes are given. The dash switch flashes very briefly when trying to initiate start. THE GEN HAS OVER 2000 HOURS, SO IT IS NOT UNDER WARRANTY ANY MORE.

At the engine - I can hear the fuel pump running when I press the switch to prime the engine. The gas tank is 1/2 full.
When I press the local start switch, (it stays red) I hear one loud clink, then for about 10 seconds, a low rumbling like it may be turning over very slowly, then nothing, it stops.
I have checked the batteries and they are all charged, and have at least 12v each.
I checked the voltage at the line feeding the generator starter, and even when cranking, it remains above 12v.
I removed the plate on the bottom of the generator, and turned the flywheel by hand, it wasn't stuck, and turned freely.
All battery connections and the ground, at the generator are clean and tight.
I CANNOT SEE the starter from standing next to it, because it apparently is on the backside of the gen.
So....
Do you think this might be a solenoid or starter problem???? Is there ANY WAY to access the them without pulling out the unit from the MH?
Thanks
Stargazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazr View Post
OK, I have a 2014 FR Georgetown, 351DS RV with a ONAN gas generator. Model RV QG5500. Its a 5500 watt. The power switch at the generator is solid red, no error codes are given. The dash switch flashes very briefly when trying to initiate start. THE GEN HAS OVER 2000 HOURS, SO IT IS NOT UNDER WARRANTY ANY MORE.

At the engine - I can hear the fuel pump running when I press the switch to prime the engine. The gas tank is 1/2 full.

When I press the local start switch, (it stays red) I hear one loud clink, then for about 10 seconds, a low rumbling like it may be turning over very slowly, then nothing, it stops.

I have checked the batteries and they are all charged, and have at least 12v each.

I checked the voltage at the line feeding the generator starter, and even when cranking, it remains above 12v.

I removed the plate on the bottom of the generator, and turned the flywheel by hand, it wasn't stuck, and turned freely.

All battery connections and the ground, at the generator are clean and tight.

I CANNOT SEE the starter from standing next to it, because it apparently is on the backside of the gen.

So....

Do you think this might be a solenoid or starter problem???? Is there ANY WAY to access the them without pulling out the unit from the MH?

Thanks

If you are near a Cummings dealer or call them we had genny problem last year and found out that the genny had a recall on Controller board. Also our dealer told us that they don't care about hours on genny. I think warranty is 3 years from your purchase. So you might be under warranty and if there is recall they should fix for free

2016 Georgetown 364ts
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Snoodledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:39 PM   #3

It sounds like solenoid/starter issue to me.

Is the oil level good?

-R.Jones
Nitro 31FQSL
R3Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:45 PM   #4

Is your battery switch near entry steps connected/on? If not it could cause symptoms your describing.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
FL family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:38 PM   #5

Thank you so much. I will definitely make that call tomorrow.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:33 AM   #6

If your starter is working your voltage at the starter when you try to start should drop to about 11.5 volts if it doesn't your starter isn't trying to turn. If the starter solenoid clicks try TAPPING the starter motor with a hammer while trying to crank. It may just be stuck on a flat spot. If this gets your gen started you should look at replacing the starter, tapping it won't work forever
wally007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:47 PM   #7

Also check your oil. Those generators have a low oil shutdown sensor.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:20 PM   #8

Try a booster incase the courant of the battery is not good.
If that dont work probebly the starter is defective.
Jonol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:57 PM   #9

Looks like that is EXACTLY the prob. I looked at it, considered trying to replace it myself, but it requires removal of the gen to replace the starter & solenoid. I took it to an RV repair place in Hammond Louisiana to do the work. Estimate is $850 including the starter. Ouch.....
Old 04-28-2016, 08:57 PM   #10

Did you check for a rebuit one?
Or have your starter rebuilt!
Old 04-28-2016, 09:13 PM   #11

Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonol View Post
Did you check for a rebuit one?
Or have your starter rebuilt!
It's so expensive to replace the starter I thought it would be better to install a new one. The starter is $150 new. To install it is in the order of $650. I called Cummins and they charge $180 an hour to diagnose the problem. They also told me it may take up to 3 hours to diagnose the problem. No thanks Cummins....
Old 04-28-2016, 09:39 PM   #12

I agree with you.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:30 PM   #13

I have attached the Onan 5500 service manual if you don't have it.
Review pages 9-1 to 9-3 to remove and replace starter.
Hope it helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Onan_5500_Service_Manual.pdf (7.73 MB, 616 views)
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:43 AM   #14

Onan Generator won't crank

My generator (4000wt Onan) would not crank at all after running for a few minutes for slide out and leveling system deployment. When I dropped the generator I discovered that the sound deadening insulation in front of the cooling fan and fly wheel had flaked off a piece which became stuck between the cooling fan blade and case. The starter motor did not have enough torque to dislodge it and it was stuck. When we rotated the fan, the piece came un-stuck and the generator runs fine. I removed the rest of that piece of insulation.
RayJay14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
500, generator