Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2020, 04:10 PM   #1

Onboard Coach battery storage during winter

While I posted this on Georgetown forum I'd be happy to hear from anyone who charges their coach batteries with solar.
I currently keep my coach batteries charged by a 200w solar panel with a PWM control because I have no access to power where it's ( mh) stored. It works just fine from Spring , when we're home to November when we leave for warmer parts of the US .
This year due to covid I can see us not leaving until Jan '21 if at all. So I'm wondering if leaving the coach batteries onboard connected to the solar panel be ok or if there's anything else I should be doing to help ( insulating battery box ? ) keep batteries from getting damaged over winter.
Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomore9-5 View Post
While I posted this on Georgetown forum I'd be happy to hear from anyone who charges their coach batteries with solar.
I currently keep my coach batteries charged by a 200w solar panel with a PWM control because I have no access to power where it's ( mh) stored. It works just fine from Spring , when we're home to November when we leave for warmer parts of the US .
This year due to covid I can see us not leaving until Jan '21 if at all. So I'm wondering if leaving the coach batteries onboard connected to the solar panel be ok or if there's anything else I should be doing to help ( insulating battery box ? ) keep batteries from getting damaged over winter.

Correction should read 50 W solar panel
Old 09-09-2020, 05:54 PM   #3

50 watts at 12 volts may keep it slightly charged and prevent them from freezing in your neighborhood.
So you expect them to open the borders soon?
Are you coming to Arizona?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:47 PM   #4

Border supposed to maybe be considered to open 9-21. First several openings cancelled.

My best friends girlfriend of 10 years is trapped in Toronto. She has a sick mother to complicate issues.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:32 PM   #5

Will it get below -76F or -60C? If not, you can leave them in the MH if they stay fully charged.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:16 AM   #6

Thanks for everyone's guidance . Average low through the winter here is -12 C ( 10.4 F) so it looks like I'll be ok . I had planned on parking with solar panel aimed south for maximum sun as well.

Iggy to answer your questions-

I believe border will open once its felt there's no risk to having non essential travel both northbound and southbound. Exactly when is anyone's guess.

We typically spend Jan - Mar in Florida but in the past we've explored other parts of the US on our way there in Nov and Dec. We've been to Arizona twice and found it to be absolutely amazing .Anyone who's visited the Grand Canyon ,Sedona etc will know what I mean
Old 09-10-2020, 12:27 PM   #7

Is your solar panel roof mounted? Will it be free of snow? Mine are roof mounted and get covered by snow and ice thus not helping.
NewEncounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:08 PM   #8

Just FYI... a FULLY charged battery is good to minus 70 degrees F without any daily charging. If you DISCONNECT the negative (black) battery wire....there will not be anything sucking juice from it and it will lose 5% charge per month OR LESS in freezing temperatures. The battery will not freeze even when 40% discharged till around -17F
So...just take a voltage reading at the battery terminals once a month or so and make sure the voltage reads 12.2V or more. If it gets near that...charge it up to 100% again and you're prolly good to go for the rest of the winter.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEncounter View Post
Is your solar panel roof mounted? Will it be free of snow? Mine are roof mounted and get covered by snow and ice thus not helping.

I think we'll be ok with that . I usually set the solar panel up inside on the inside looking out the windshield. Facing south , in addition to getting maximum ammount of sun for the panel , the sun should keep the windshield free of ice or snow.

Tags
battery, storage, winter