Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2019, 04:04 PM   #1

Question One slide at a time??

I have just run into a new problem with my Georgetown. I put one slide out and when I went to move the next one there was nothing. no action from any of the 3 slides.

After a few minutes the button worked and I slid the second slide out part way but when I tried to complete the job nothing worked. I had to wait again. This continues.

I am plugged into 30amp power at home. House power is on and the inverter is working.

I did try it with the inverter off but realize it has no purpose while plugged into house power.

Hoping someone has an idea
Thanks
Simmy
Our Girls:
Chessey = Chessadore
Saddie = Chocolate Lab
Simwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:24 PM   #2

one slide at a time part 2

Just me again
I thought I would try something new so I put the right side slide out then proceeded to bring it in but stopped part way. When I tried to bring it all the way in the motors ran but nothing moved and the motors finally stopped now I have nothing even after waiting..
Our Girls:
Chessey = Chessadore
Saddie = Chocolate Lab
Old 08-20-2019, 04:40 PM   #3

That is a tough one.

Slides use a lot of power.

Be sure the connections are all good, particularly at the battery.

My 2012 337 had the slide power connected at the battery.

Also make sure all other steps are followed, parking brake, etc.

Maybe try it with the shore power disconnected.

Good luck
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:14 PM   #4

Thanks Jim still issues..

Thanks for that Jim
The park brake is on as the vehicle is leveled. I have noted however if I try to let out the Bedroom I get a clunk as I do with the main slide. I am pretty sure these are 110 motors as you have to have the generator and or shore power plugged in and the engine has to be off.

I could be out to lunch of course as we have only had this vehicle for 6 months.
This all started when I was trying to show a friend the unit of course.. and I did it the way I have for the last 3 weeks while on vacation with out an issue thank heavens. lol would have been worse at the campground.

Battery shows 100% when unplugged from shore power.

Not sure what to check next.

Simmy
Our Girls:
Chessey = Chessadore
Saddie = Chocolate Lab
Old 08-20-2019, 06:36 PM   #5

I think that you'll find that slides are controlled by 12v power only, directly from your House battery bank - being plugged in, or running the generator, does nothing to power them, though they might can add a slight voltage 'kick' to the batter bank while you do. The Inverter will have nothing to do with the slides, though.

Since the slides are controlled via the battery bank, the battery LEVEL is paramount. Even if they show fully charged, if they are old, or have some low cells, they may not be providing the 'jolt' that the slides might need, even if they work 'sometimes', or part way, but not all the way.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:44 PM   #6

good point about the 12 volt power only. not a motor home guy but I can run all three out at the same time on my 5th wheel. only reason I don't do all 5 is I don't have enough fingers and they aren't close enough on the control panel.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:17 PM   #7

Mine has weak house battery's slides sometimes don't go out or in. I will get new one at Ruel king end of month best price. 79.95 each.
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:22 PM   #8

I think the slides are operated hydraulically, you may want to check the oil level in the pump reservoir.
wtbuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:53 PM   #9

I have a 5th wheel but had the same problem. There are re-setable breakers that trip, cool down and then work again. Then they stop working all together and must be replaced. Mine were in the compartment where the fluid is located. Don't know where to look on a MH.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:42 PM   #10
Don

We have a 2011 Georgetown XL. The slides operate on 12V. The two house batteries have to have to be topped off to move the front larger slide. Since the rear slide is not as large, ours will move with about 11.5 V.

I doubt if the "klunk" sound is a hydraulic issue. It is most likely an alignment issue. Ours does not make any unusual noise.

One time, after 100's of uses, I engaged the rear slide while my wife had the key in the on position to lower the front shade. It started to come out but stopped after about half way. It shouldn't have moved. So we are careful to follow our set up checklist as well as our departure checklist. Procedures are as important as the beverages....
2011George.360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:20 PM   #11

All three of our slides are electric. Some other models/brands use hydraulic.

Since none are working, they all have the same issue.

It won't be a switch or relay (assuming each slide system has it's own). It won't be a bad wiring issue from the battery to the slides since they have independent runs. Won't be wiring at the control panel since those are separate too.

But it most likely (IMHO) a bad electrical connection either at the battery, or the breaker they all get their power from. A poor connection can do exactly as you described. Soon as current flows, it heats up, and "disconnects itself". One the connection has cooled, it works again, albeit briefly.

FR did a crappy job of identifying circuits on our rig. Makes troubleshooting that much more difficult.

Good luck, let us know what you end up doing/finding.
https://www.2manytoyz.com/
2manytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:52 PM   #12

Cool problem resolved

Thank you all for your input.
I could not understand why the dealer would have sold us this motor home with bad batteries 3 months ago so I took another avenue. I decided to look for some kind of fuse and I found them.
Flicked a switch and away it went.

After that to prove a point to myself I decided to cut shore power turn on all the lights and inverter to run the fridge. It took almost an hour for the battery lights to drop to 2/3 I left it another hour and they were still at 2/3. So I hooked up shore power and am checking to see how long they take to charge back up.

Thanks everyone. the attachments are to show where I found the OPTIFUSE's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190822_142924[1].jpg
Views:	123
Size:	381.7 KB
ID:	213080   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190822_143001[1].jpg
Views:	125
Size:	488.6 KB
ID:	213081  
Our Girls:
Chessey = Chessadore
Saddie = Chocolate Lab
Old 08-22-2019, 06:25 PM   #13

I had a similar problem last year on my 2013 Georgetown xl 378
Discovered I had a loose connection on the hydraulic pump motor , mine is under my entry steps , good luck
gpci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:29 PM   #14

Thank you GPCI

I will keep this in mind if it ever happens again. As my last post said the problem is resolved. just the breakers under the steps where the hydraulics are.

Once again thank you

Simmy
Our Girls:
Chessey = Chessadore
Saddie = Chocolate Lab
Old 10-25-2019, 05:57 AM   #15

Well it appears that the problem was not solved after all.

Shortly after my last post the same thing happened again only this time it was not the fuses.

If I held the button till one of the slides was all the way out it was fine but I still could not move other slides until I heard that clunk from under the step then I could move another one. usually about 45 min or so.

I called Steve's RV local to us and he came over and diagnosed the Battery Control Center solenoids were failing. So I dug further and see on this forum alot of mention about that happening.

I contacted Fraserway RV to order the part SDC-107A. At the 7th week I contacted them about this item and they contacted the supplier Forest River and they said the company that makes them has closed. They have out sourced to another company to manufacture one and are testing it this week. If it works they will ship it.

I will let you know later how this works out.

If you search the part SD-107A or the name Battery Control Center in the forum search you will see how many issues these control centers cause.

Gary
Our Girls:
Chessey = Chessadore
Saddie = Chocolate Lab
Old 10-25-2019, 08:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simwombat View Post
Well it appears that the problem was not solved after all.

Shortly after my last post the same thing happened again only this time it was not the fuses.

If I held the button till one of the slides was all the way out it was fine but I still could not move other slides until I heard that clunk from under the step then I could move another one. usually about 45 min or so.

I called Steve's RV local to us and he came over and diagnosed the Battery Control Center solenoids were failing. So I dug further and see on this forum alot of mention about that happening.

I contacted Fraserway RV to order the part SDC-107A. At the 7th week I contacted them about this item and they contacted the supplier Forest River and they said the company that makes them has closed. They have out sourced to another company to manufacture one and are testing it this week. If it works they will ship it.

I will let you know later how this works out.

If you search the part SD-107A or the name Battery Control Center in the forum search you will see how many issues these control centers cause.

Gary
Maybe the SDC-107 is your issue but from what I remember the only relay (solenoid) within the SDC-107 that has anything to do with the slides is the ignition interlock relay that inhibits all of the slide switches if the ignition switch is on. The relay is normally deenergized. I think power through the relay to the fuse in the SDC-107 to the slide switches is via the chassis battery. The fact that a slide does extend indicates the relay is deenergized. That clunk you hear may be the interconnect solenoid (tying and untying the coach and chassis batteries together for charging) energizing and/or deenergizing. Your GT is newer than mine and maybe changes were made so this input may be a moot point. Good luck.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 11:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Thank you all for your input.
I could not understand why the dealer would have sold us this motor home with bad batteries 3 months ago so I took another avenue.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it.". Batteries cut into prophets.

The dealer probably never even checked the batteries more than just moving MH and the lights worked off batteries.

in my book, 12V lead acid batteries have a life expectancy of 5 years. So if you count years, 2015, 16, 17, 18, 19, I bet your batteries may be 5 years old. did dealer offer you some kind of warranty? they can load check batteries (one at a time if you have more than one) so see if one might have a bad cell.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:38 PM   #18
NXR

Quote:

They don't look closed here: https://rvcustomproducts.com/sdc-107a

There's some docs on that page that may help you. The one marked "Georgetown" is the wiring diagram.

Ray
Old 10-26-2019, 10:21 AM   #19

It sounds like you already identified the issue as electrical, but my Georgetown had similar symptoms and it turned out to be a slightly low hydraulic fluid level.

If I put the jacks down and extended the smaller back bedroom slide first, the big living room slide wouldn't extend fully. The hydraulic motors were pumping but the slide wouldn't extend.

The large slide is very heavy and the underside rollers created a permanent "groove" on the bottom of the slide when closed. With the hydraulic fluid level slightly low (maybe an inch or two low at most) the hydraulics didn't have enough oomph to push the big slide rollers out of the groove.

The overflow plug gasket on the hydraulic fluid reservoir was causing a slow leak. With that issue fixed and hydraulic fluid topped off, the big slide works OK.
Chuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 11:26 AM   #20
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
The large slide is very heavy and the underside rollers created a permanent "groove" on the bottom of the slide when closed. With the hydraulic fluid level slightly low (maybe an inch or two low at most) the hydraulics didn't have enough oomph to push the big slide rollers out of the groove.

The overflow plug gasket on the hydraulic fluid reservoir was causing a slow leak. With that issue fixed and hydraulic fluid topped off, the big slide works OK.
FYI, Forest River has metal plates that can be installed on the bottom of the slide that the rollers will slide on. They're being installed on my bedroom slide right now (under warranty) so I do not have a picture. The work order calls them "skiis".

An independent vendor markets them as Guardian Plates.

Ray

Tags
slide