Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2020, 02:13 PM   #1

Outside Stairs

I have a 2014 Georgetown 360XL which was purchased new. Can someone please tell me what causes the stairs not to close up tight and under the carriage like they’re supposed to? Today is one of the days that they are sticking out about 2 inches and have a separation between each stair. My coach batteries are only 2 years old if they have anything to do with the stairs.
Sbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:17 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbryant View Post
I have a 2014 Georgetown 360XL which was purchased new. Can someone please tell me what causes the stairs not to close up tight and under the carriage like they’re supposed to? Today is one of the days that they are sticking out about 2 inches and have a separation between each stair. My coach batteries are only 2 years old if they have anything to do with the stairs.
Can you physically push the steps into the position they should be/or where you’d like them to be? Well lubricated regularly? I’m guessing you have Lippert steps? 2 or 3 steps?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:14 PM   #3

We have 3 steps. I haven’t had the chance to go through my paperwork to check the brand. But this morning I did attempt to push them and they will not budge. They are electric so I wouldn’t think they could be moved manually anyway. They’ve done this before then mysteriously started working like they’re supposed to. I would just like to know the cause so maybe we could fix the problem.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:19 PM   #4

The step go out and in and the motor shut off in each direction when it feel resistance on the motor (higher amps) and that is what stops the steps.

My suggestion is check the pivot points on the steps and lube all pivot points and see what happens.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
The step go out and in and the motor shut off in each direction when it feel resistance on the motor (higher amps) and that is what stops the steps.

My suggestion is check the pivot points on the steps and lube all pivot points and see what happens.
+1 !
Mooney 78865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 03:18 PM   #6

Iggy: my husband greased all the pivot points and the stairs closed up like they are supposed to. We are home now but leaving out Thursday week so my optimistic self says they will continue to work properly. But at least we now know that we should keep the pivot points lubricated, which we will do! Thanks for your help!!
Old 12-09-2020, 05:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbryant View Post
Iggy: my husband greased all the pivot points and the stairs closed up like they are supposed to. We are home now but leaving out Thursday week so my optimistic self says they will continue to work properly. But at least we now know that we should keep the pivot points lubricated, which we will do! Thanks for your help!!
Glad you found the problema nd solution.
Yes they need to pivot and move easily or the motor will sense it and stop.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 09:49 PM   #8

If it had the recall done then they will not close up tight due to the thickness of the bracket. however I dont think its much more than 1/2' to 3/4'.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote