Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2016, 09:09 PM   #1

Picking up our GT 270S next week

Hi everyone,

New member to the forum. We put a deposit down on a 2015 GT 270S yesterday and will pick it up next week.

I had a Keystone travel trailer; it went into an uncontrolled oscillation and almost killed me. I don't think I'll ever feel comfortable bumper towing something that large again.

So, time for the motorhome route!

We love the layout of the coach and are really looking forward to using it, as we race off road at least once a month and sometimes twice.

I've been lurking on the forum and reading as much as I can.

A few questions:

- Our son will sleep in the drop down bunk up front. Has anyone come up with a solution to make sure someone doesn't roll off the bunk? Like a small border, or even a net?

- Is this coach pre-wired for an additional AC in the rear bedroom? Would it go right where the vent is? And when you add one, do you tap into the existing ducting?

- Anything in particular I should look out for when I go back up next week? I'm going to go through the RV more thoroughly - even considering spending the night in a campground nearby to test everything out.

- Are there any "must have" mods recommended?

- They are trying to sell me an extended warranty; I'm typically not an extended warranty guy, and certainly not at the prices they have listed. Continuing my research - someone posted about wholesalewarranties.com. Any other advice here appreciated.

These forums are fantastic - so many knowledgeable people - thanks in advance for any and all guidance!

CY
CombatYoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:33 PM   #2

We have the same unit for about a year now. Make sure they do a wheel alignment, ours was badly out and I am still arguing about the tire condition. We added a rear track bar to improve handling and it made a big difference. No other major modifications. We removed the panel that provides access to the water pump and built a little more storage in there.

The floor plan works well for us an the two dogs. We have not used the upper bed yet, and only have one air conditioner.

Most of the problems were around finishing and paint. The dealer did repair the roof sides which was showing signs of failing.

You will love the length for get around. We do not tow a toad, so this becomes our primary transport when camping.

Let me know how your adventure goes and we can share notes.

Dave

Dave & Michelle
2015 Georgetown 270SS
Calgary, Alberta
dhind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:37 AM   #3

Shop around for the extended service contract. I found coach-net was the best for me. This is not an endorsement for one provider over another, shop around you will find a broad price range and broad range of coverage. You should find a lot of opinions on the forum.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:48 AM   #4

X2 on rear track bar
fullenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:05 AM   #5

Extended warranties are a gamble. If you are an okay mechanic or a good handy man I would suggest not buying one and bank the money. Though the key is never to buy extended warranties and put all of the monies either in a safe at home, savings account or mutual fund.
If on the other hand you are not good at repairs and you don't mind throwing away your money and want a little piece of mind then buy one. I haven't bought them for our cars, appliances, electronic items or our home and I am way ahead of the saving curve.

As for the rear A/C I hope it is wired. One way you might be able to tell is if it wired for 30 amp or 50 amp. 50 amp probable means it is wired up. What I did in a fifth wheel we had that only had 30 amps service was to install the A/C unit in the vent hole (since it was a 14" x 14" opening) and run an electrical cord down the side, in a nice deceptive housing, and then attached a plug that could then be plugged in at the pedestal next to the 30 amp receptacle. Ours was not duct but did a great job of cooling and it had a remote to it that hung on the wall.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:00 AM   #6

They sell the warranty...which means they make money on it and statistically these warranty companies make money on them. Very few people actually use them, but if you get "lucky" enough to have a disaster you can get your money back.

Let's say they try to sell you a 5k plan and roll it in to 20 year financing at 4%...you just paid 7,270 for that plan...
JLud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:35 PM   #7

We took delivery on it yesterday and I drove it home.
Looked underneath and could see that it has not had the CHF done, but I thought it drove fine. A little wander, but nothing unmanageable.
Do these come stock with Bilstein shocks? I was surprised to see them when I looked under the coach.

I did not purchase an extended warranty and figure I'll take the risk and roll up my sleeves now and then.

The coach plug is 50 amp. And although it only has 1 AC, it has a Onan 5500 generator, making me think that perhaps it was pre-wired for a second unit. The original owner upgraded to a 15K unit, so we''ll see this summer how it keeps up - I like it cold and will definitely install a second unit if it needs it.

The only problem with the coach I see right now is that I cannot get the blue lights around the buttons on the video screen panel to turn off. I thought the switch down by the steps completely disconnected the house batteries, but it doesn't seem to be the case. In fact, I can't see that that switch does anything - all electric items still work, even after I hit it.

Otherwise, this thing is awesome! Can't wait to personalize it and do some camping!

Thanks for the replies!

CY
CombatYoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatYoga View Post
We took delivery on it yesterday and I drove it home.
Looked underneath and could see that it has not had the CHF done, but I thought it drove fine. A little wander, but nothing unmanageable.
Do these come stock with Bilstein shocks? I was surprised to see them when I looked under the coach.

I did not purchase an extended warranty and figure I'll take the risk and roll up my sleeves now and then.

The coach plug is 50 amp. And although it only has 1 AC, it has a Onan 5500 generator, making me think that perhaps it was pre-wired for a second unit. The original owner upgraded to a 15K unit, so we''ll see this summer how it keeps up - I like it cold and will definitely install a second unit if it needs it.

The only problem with the coach I see right now is that I cannot get the blue lights around the buttons on the video screen panel to turn off. I thought the switch down by the steps completely disconnected the house batteries, but it doesn't seem to be the case. In fact, I can't see that that switch does anything - all electric items still work, even after I hit it.

Otherwise, this thing is awesome! Can't wait to personalize it and do some camping!

Thanks for the replies!

CY
Congrats on the purchase!

I don't think anyone answered your original question about keeping your son from rolling out of the drop down bed. Let me know if you come up with a solution as my daughter will be doing the same and has expressed concern. Personally I don't think she's going to have a problem, but she's always had rails on her loft bed to this point so who knows if maybe she depends on those to keep her in place. She would feel better if we had some kind of solution for this.
carmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:10 PM   #9

This is what we use for our handicapped son.. It just slips under the mattress.. Works great and swing down for exit...http://www.amazon.com/Dex-Universal-...EY16K5W2G9VASY