Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #1

please expain 378xl heaters

we are leaving on a trip Friday,so I went out to clean and check out mh am I right that the bedroom t-stat controls heater for all the floor ducts,,and the one by entry door controls only the two ducts by the right end of couch in end of kitchen cabinet? also when the bedroom t-stat is on for heat the a/c fan is running blowing thru the ceiling ducts? is this right, just fan not a/c
rwehba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #2

The ac fan should not be running when the heater is on. Make sure that the fan is set for Auto, (not high/low) then it will not blow cold air. You are correct with the positions and which heater they control.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramair View Post
The ac fan should not be running when the heater is on. Make sure that the fan is set for Auto, (not high/low) then it will not blow cold air. You are correct with the positions and which heater they control.
I second that.

Thermostat set to "auto"

TURBS

merry christmas to everyone on FRF !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #4

thanks guys thought we had a weird t-stat me or wife must have set fan on hi just an opps ,,,thanks and have a great merry christmas
rwehba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #5

Correct me if I am wrong, but I read/heard somewhere that the reason the ceiling vents blow out air on "hi or low" with the furnace on is to "move" the heated air. The heated air comes out of the floor vents. Heat goes up toward ceiling. The air blowing out of the ceiling vents moves the heat back down. Same principle as reversing the ceiling fans in your home during the cold months. Does this sound logical or do I need to get another Jack Daniels drip? We just entered the 21st century technology with our new rig of 2 weeks and haven't been able to play with it much. It is in storage and won't be taking it out until April. We had the old rig for 13 years with its antiquated technology.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #6

That's what I've heard also, but we don't like it as it blows cold air. Besides, there isn't that much volume inside and the heater alone warms things up quickly.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but I read/heard somewhere that the reason the ceiling vents blow out air on "hi or low" with the furnace on is to "move" the heated air. The heated air comes out of the floor vents. Heat goes up toward ceiling. The air blowing out of the ceiling vents moves the heat back down. Same principle as reversing the ceiling fans in your home during the cold months. Does this sound logical or do I need to get another Jack Daniels drip? We just entered the 21st century technology with our new rig of 2 weeks and haven't been able to play with it much. It is in storage and won't be taking it out until April. We had the old rig for 13 years with its antiquated technology.

Bob
You better get another Jack Daniels and have one for me to Merry Xmas..

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #8
Sherlock

If is like my 378 & the heat is coming from the ceiling a/c ducts you may be on heat pump & not furnace.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #9

My 378 xl has heat strip in the ac units and they are operated by the thermostats in the heat strip mode.

When the thermostats are in the furnace mode it blows warm air through the floor vents and the ducted vents are automatically turned off. So no air comes out the roof vents and the a/c units are not blowing air.
If you have heat pumps then the heat pumps should not be on when the furnace for that particular thermostat is in the furnace mode.
Merry Christmas

Tags
378xl, heater