Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2016, 11:22 AM   #1

PLEASE help -Fridge Problems

Unit: 2015 Georgetown 270s
Problem: The plug under the dinette blew and the fridge will not run. The light comes on inside the fridge but the check light comes and the fridge won’t run. I tried it on propane and it still will not run and the check light comes back on, so neither electric or gas will run fridge but it’s getting some electric because the lights on the outside and inside of fridge works. All this didn’t happen until the plug went out under dinette.
Questions:
1. Could they be connected or the weirdest coincidence???
2. I looked at the circuit breakers and none are tripped. I even manually turned several on and off including the main for the whole unit.
3. I also looked at all the fuses and none are burned out, all seem to be okay.
4. The only GFI is in the bathroom that I can see and that is fine.
Ultimate question – Is there a GFI hidden somewhere for the plug under the dinette that I can’t fine???
Please help all the food is warm and starting to be ruined, this happened when we went to bed and didn’t notice until this morning.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:56 AM   #2

Propane reefers run on 12 volt, with the exception of the 110 volt heater when on AC. Does it try to ignite? You can open up the outside cover and watch it try to light. If doesn't try, then it is probably the control board.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:12 PM   #3

Thanks for response Scott, no it doesn't try and we do have propane to rest of unit...do you know if there is another GFI somewhere that might control the plug under the dinette???
Old 08-13-2016, 01:32 PM   #4

Seems like there is a gfi plug in my outside storage bay next to the door.

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:39 PM   #5

I know mine is older but I have gfi in 3 different compartments check them all.
Mine are attached to the top of the compartments.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:55 PM   #6

I only have the one in the outdoor bay near the door, however that one doesn't have a reset??? I never seen a GFI without a test and reset button. It says GFI on it but no buttons? The only GFI I have other then that one is in the bathroom but that one is working fine...perplexing.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:44 PM   #7
WhoDoMan

There is a gfi behind the propane tanks on my rig. There is s white access door above the tanks, screw it off and the gfi is behind it. Also does ur refig. Run on a invertor as well
whoDoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:10 PM   #8

Not one there in the 270s. I'll keep looking around but I can't imagine where they hid it.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:02 AM   #9
Site Team

They put the GFI's in some strange places, Keep looking. It may even be in the outside fridge access door.

Having said that, It sounds like you have another problem also. Because you don't have any 120 volt power to the fridge it's trying to run on propane. You're having a problem with the propane lighting and that's why the check light is coming on. You may need to clean the burner and orifice.

Can you tell us which fridge you have? Make and model?

How long has it been since you've ran the fridge on propane?
Old 08-14-2016, 07:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawffeeguy View Post
I only have the one in the outdoor bay near the door, however that one doesn't have a reset??? I never seen a GFI without a test and reset button. It says GFI on it but no buttons? The only GFI I have other then that one is in the bathroom but that one is working fine...perplexing.

There can be several outlets being protected by the same GFI. Common in stick homes, easy test if you don't have a GFI tester is to trip the one GFI you have and plug a light into other outlets. If the light is out they are connected.

2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0 3.73 gears
2O12 Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:41 PM   #11

If your refer runs on gas or electric then it is running on 12v from your battery not AC. A low battery can cause your problems. That would be the house battery not the vehicle battery.
Okie
08 F450
USMC Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 03:55 PM   #12

First: Check that the converter has power and you have 12Volts on the house batteries.

Second: Check that you have 120 Vac on the refer outlet. If not>Run an extension cord from an operating plug to the refer plug.

If it doesn't work you most likely have a control board failure.

You need 12V on the control board to operate the relays for the 120VAC heater and (if you choose Propane) for the gas controller.

Most control boards have a fuse on them so check for that if you have ac and dc power.

Good luck

2012 Georgetown 378XL
Toad 07 Lexus RX350
intercept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by intercept View Post
First: Check that the converter has power and you have 12Volts on the house batteries.

Second: Check that you have 120 Vac on the refer outlet. If not>Run an extension cord from an operating plug to the refer plug.

If it doesn't work you most likely have a control board failure.

You need 12V on the control board to operate the relays for the 120VAC heater and (if you choose Propane) for the gas controller.

Most control boards have a fuse on them so check for that if you have ac and dc power.

Good luck
"Second: Check that you have 120 Vac on the refer outlet. If not>Run an extension cord from an operating plug to the refer plug."

We had to do this last summer, found a loose (not unhooked just not making a good connection) wire in the dinette outlet.
FYI: the ref 110 outlet is located on the outside behind the refrigerator.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:48 PM   #14

X2 to scubanuts's comment. Downline plugs can and usually are protected by a GFCI receptacle and are thusly identified by a small sticker. (If installed by a conscientious licensed electrician)As others have stated GFCI's can be found ANYWHERE. Good luck.
MrLucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:02 PM   #15

Thanks guys for all your responses. We already lost all the food and heading back tomorrow. When I get back I'm going to run a full diagnostic. Wife didn't want this to ruin this trip so we roughed it.

Tags
fridge