Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2014, 11:48 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by abjb View Post
Time for the BIG question.

Is anyone satisfied with their omnidirectional antenna?

ab&jb

No and that is why I now have a Jack which I installed.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:56 PM   #22

Quote:

ab&jb
Nope. That is why I have been following this thread to see what my best option is

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:22 PM   #23

Seeing how I started this thread, my answer would be "no" as well. Back home in our drive in metro Nashville, I'm getting about 10 channels. Far more than any other place we camped in the past week. I'm guessing that's because we are quite close to various stations in the metro area, but even here, we aren't picking up two of the "big three" network channels.

For those who have installed the jack, any tips on installation for those of us who don't know "jack" about antennas? Does the Jack require a hole in your ceiling or does it simply replace the omni directional antenna that's up there already?
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:36 PM   #24

Hmm. Prolly goes without saying, but geography plays a big role in the performance of the antenna. I camped a few miles away(on the same lake) and one location I got nearly nothing...one location got several channels(three sites in the same CG) and got different results. All weak it this CG... I was avoiding the DirectTV deal... May have to go for it or pick an off-air option that works. Hmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:09 PM   #25

So I just looked at the antenna and I have a question for those who have this round, "flying saucer" omni-directional antenna: it is supposed to be loose...so much that it spins freely and wobbles a bit on the metal post that enters the coach? The metal post is firm, but the plastic "flying saucer" portion of the antenna is exceedingly loose. I'm not even sure how it's secured to the mounting post, or how you would tighten (if you even can). After spinning it a couple times to see if it would thread itself tighter (it didn't) I saw a couple small metal shavings come out. That's always nice to see.

Still wondering if it's even hooked up, and how I can tell if it is or not.

Hmmmm
Old 08-09-2014, 08:11 PM   #26

Quote:
More info

A friend has an omnidirectional antenna that doesn't work at his house, our King picks up several (30+) hand held on his roof using the coax that goes to his antenna.

Originally Posted by 43D18
For those who have installed the jack, any tips on installation for those of us who don't know "jack" about antennas? Does the Jack require a hole in your ceiling or does it simply replace the omni directional antenna that's up there already?
Installing a Jack will require a hole in the ceiling, the hole in the roof of my friends SOB looked like the manufacture was still using the same size hole they used for the bat wing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43D18 View Post
So I just looked at the antenna and I have a question for those who have this round, "flying saucer" omni-directional antenna: it is supposed to be loose...so much that it spins freely and wobbles a bit on the metal post that enters the coach? The metal post is firm, but the plastic "flying saucer" portion of the antenna is exceedingly loose. I'm not even sure how it's secured to the mounting post, or how you would tighten (if you even can). After spinning it a couple times to see if it would thread itself tighter (it didn't) I saw a couple small metal shavings come out. That's always nice to see.

Still wondering if it's even hooked up, and how I can tell if it is or not.

Hmmmm
My friends was nice and tight, he didn't replace or use it.
He uses a RCA Digital Flat Indoor Antenna.

ab&jb
Old 08-09-2014, 08:59 PM   #27

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Quote:

ab&jb
Nope; I trashed mine too and installed a Jack. Big difference and I'm quite satisfied. I let Camping World install it for $39 and let them deal with it. I received 22 stations at the FROG rally in Goshen.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:51 AM   #28

We have the same issue and all 5 of our tv ' s get different channels and some tv ' s get nothing. It's really odd. I scan for channels at every park on can't cable or air. Just can't figure this out.
sdowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:26 AM   #29

Since I started this thread I should update it - now that our antenna is connected properly, I'm quite satisfied with it. The bummer is that we've had the coach an entire year thinking it was just a crappy antenna and therefore didn't pick up many (sometimes any) channels. Finally upon my urging, the dealer agreed to remove the antenna and see if the connections were intact, and bingo - they were not. The secured the connections (at the antenna) and now I can tune in 30 stations in my driveway where as previously I would get a couple.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:25 AM   #30
Fireman

Send a message via AIM to dutch
TV Reception

43D18 we have the same problem with our reception, after camping this last week I was on the roof and checked the round att and it was loose too did you ever find out how remove it/ tightened up/ or how to check the wires to see if it was hooked up. or has anyone else done this. My one year warranty is up now so I want to see if I can do it myself. Plus my dealer takes a long time doing anything on the coach.
US Air Force Retire SMS
dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:09 AM   #31

I was camped at Oscar Sherrer State Park near Sarasota, FL last weekend and was limited to about 6 channels of reception with my bat wing antenna. We were camping with friends with the saucer antenna and they got nothing. My neighbor was installing a Winegard Rayzar and was receiving nearly 20. Its available at Camping world for $49.99. Mounts to the existing batwing hardware.

Rayzar AIR Retrofit HD TV Antenna, Black - Winegard RVRZ25B - Over-the-Air Antennas - Camping World
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:57 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch View Post
43D18 we have the same problem with our reception, after camping this last week I was on the roof and checked the round att and it was loose too did you ever find out how remove it/ tightened up/ or how to check the wires to see if it was hooked up. or has anyone else done this. My one year warranty is up now so I want to see if I can do it myself. Plus my dealer takes a long time doing anything on the coach.
Yes - In our case the antennae was simply not connected to the coax up on the roof. But you have to dissect the antenna to get to that connection and I was perplexed how to do that but the dealer ended up doing it for us under warranty. I'd suggest calling the antenna manufacturer and inquire about taking it apart to access the connections.

Now I'm happy to say we are tuning in plenty of channels and I have no complaint (except for the fact that we had a brand new coach for an entire year w/ no TV reception and I just thought it was because of the crappy antenna).
Old 10-13-2014, 12:27 PM   #33
Fireman

TV

Thanks Mike, I will check when I get home, and I feel the same way all last year no TV except for three or four channels with a brand new coach.
US Air Force Retire SMS
Old 10-13-2014, 01:05 PM   #34

We have a 19" TV in the bedroom that gets more channels than the 32" in the living room. We've done the digital scan on both. Guess we'll give the antenna swap a try.
TeamPlumlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:25 PM   #35

Maybe not ant. Problem could be bad splitter or it's connections. Esp if sig goes to one not the other.

VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:30 PM   #36

^ Thanks! Where would I find the splitter?
Old 10-13-2014, 01:34 PM   #37

Are there any LED lights on anywhere near the TVs? In my Windjammer the bedroom TV antenna reception goes to zero if the bedroom LED light is on. Same thing in the living area. Seems the cheap LED light receptacles have RFI interference with the TV outlets.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:37 PM   #38

I would start by removing switch plate with green light LED. Fish wires out and check connections. Look for another splitter depending on how many sets you have. The plate is a splitter and directs power to the roof ant . Also switches cable or roof to TVs

VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #39

Thanks VinceU! Will check it out...
Old 10-15-2014, 06:45 AM   #40
Fireman

No TV Reception

I went home and check no paperwork on the dome antenna. Does anyone know model/ manufacture? It is loose, and cannot see anywhere you would tighten it to the shaft. Don't see anywhere I can get to inside to check connections nothing showing in coach ceiling. Next question can you take it apart and how would you do it. Help
US Air Force Retire SMS

Tags
reception, tv reception