Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2018, 01:12 PM   #1

Poor quality control and cheap materials used in my 2016 Georgetown.

I have a 2016 Georgetown and are having way too many Quality Controll issues. My steps pop out while driving for no reason. My wood trim around the slide out is cracking. The sliding door in the back to the bedroom track has broken and the rails have come loose as well making that door not functional at all. For the amount I paid for this RV I am Appalled at the lack of quality of materials used and broken and defective equipment!!! I called the dealer where I purchased it from and was told there was only a 1 year warranty and will not be covered I was floored!!! What can you do to fix these issues? THIS IS COMPLETELY INEXCUSABLE!!!

Respectfully,

Mr. Steve Schneider

[emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji30] [emoji30] [emoji30] [emoji30] [emoji30] [emoji31] [emoji31] [emoji31] [emoji31] [emoji31] [emoji31] [emoji33] [emoji33] [emoji33] [emoji33] [emoji33] [emoji34] [emoji34] [emoji34] [emoji34] [emoji34] [emoji107] [emoji107] [emoji107] [emoji107] [emoji107]
Schneikeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:36 PM   #2

Steven sorry to hear about your issues but we all have been there.
The only difference is that we had our issues resolved with in the 1 year period.
Many other here will tell you a lot worst stories but that doesn't change anything.

ALL trailers and motorhome manufacturers have the same mindset.
Get them out of the factory as quickly as possible and to the dealers and let them handle the minor repairs.
Like I said all manufacturers use the same mindset.

So the answer now is can you handle the repairs yourself or have to hire someone.

We can assist if you have any problems figuring out what is the best method of repair.
Like I said many have had the same issues as you in the past.

We are here for you.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:15 PM   #3

Driving a motorhome across the USA has been compared to a 7.0 earthquake, so it's no wonder that things fall apart. The wonder of it all is that most RV's are not a pile of junk alongside every interstate.
We all have problems, so we all either get them fixed, or we become carpenters, electricians, plumbers and chassis mechanics to keep our RV's on the road. I have just spent time repairing my step, replacing hydraulic hoses, replacing light bulbs, cleaning my water lines and repairing the bedroom sliding door.
If you can send some pictures of your problems, someone on here has fixed your issue and I'm sure would be willing to help. Happy camping
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:17 PM   #4

Thank you I will take some pictures and post them...
Schneikeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:22 PM   #5

I've fixed the sliding doors on my burkshire bunk house a few times not a hard job
Think the problem is the screws are way to short and the wood at the top of the doors is to thin
What you need to do is take all the doors off and out of The unit cut a strip of 1/2 plywood the size of the top of the door glue and screw the wood to the top of door
And when you put the hardware back on use longer screws also if the door has any back and forth play in it put a few wood block on the back edge (nice quiet ride).
Did this 2 years ago no more problems if you have a tablesaw job will. Be easeyer
Don't use pine it will crack you will be back ware you stared good luck
Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:02 PM   #6

Following this . . .
Old 08-13-2018, 03:01 PM   #7

Re: steps coming out while driving. Had same surprising issue with Georgetown XL when new. Our problem was in the screen door not making contact with the sensor (?) on the frame of the door 1) screen door maybe slightly out of square/twisted may be better term. Check that. That solved our issue but now we lock the door so a pothole doesn’t t jar causing a disconnect of screen with frame. No more issue. Yep as others said we need to become resourceful and In Some cases DIY. This forum can help- some smart/experienced people here
I feel your frustration with dealers and unexpected issues Good Luck
twoclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:40 AM   #8

Re the stairs popping out whilst driving. The door magnet vibrates over the road. For a while, I taped a magnet on the door frame. That worked, but was a pain to do. Recently installed a switch inside to the stair power. Now when it is "off", no power possible to the stair motor. Jumped the red wire to the new switch.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180808_145557.jpeg
Views:	403
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	183225Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180808_145522.jpeg
Views:	416
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	183226
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:41 AM   #9

The Best RV maintenance quote I've heard: "Your RV has to be your hobby." After three years, I traded in a 2015 GT 364 BH for a Berkshire...BIG difference in quality. But, I found both have their issues. If you have some reasonable DYI skills, then I suggest you keep a list and tackle them one at a time. Hardly anything can't be found on this site. If it can get broken, someone has already shown how they fixed it. YouTube is also a good source of videos on repairs. However, if it is a major item, or over your DYI skills, I suggest you go to an independent RV garage where they are motivated to get the job done right and out the door. Avoid dealers, especially Camping World, if at all possible. (This site is littered with CW nightmares.) Anyway, post your request for assistance, and you'll probably get a response or two before the end of the same day. Happy camping!
Old 08-14-2018, 10:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
The Best RV maintenance quote I've heard: "Your RV has to be your hobby." After three years, I traded in a 2015 GT 364 BH for a Berkshire...BIG difference in quality. But, I found both have their issues. If you have some reasonable DYI skills, then I suggest you keep a list and tackle them one at a time. Hardly anything can't be found on this site. If it can get broken, someone has already shown how they fixed it. YouTube is also a good source of videos on repairs. However, if it is a major item, or over your DYI skills, I suggest you go to an independent RV garage where they are motivated to get the job done right and out the door. Avoid dealers, especially Camping World, if at all possible. (This site is littered with CW nightmares.) Anyway, post your request for assistance, and you'll probably get a response or two before the end of the same day. Happy camping!
GOOD SOUND ADVICE from you and 360True
twoclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:25 PM   #11

we have owned two tent trailer, one travel trailer and are now on our second motorhome and I have come to the conclusion that if you dont have any DIY skills then you probably would be better off doing motels.. Even after warranty is up something will always break and we just cant afford a guy for that.. Our neighbor believes there is a guy for everything..
Old 08-14-2018, 03:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVnut View Post
we have owned two tent trailer, one travel trailer and are now on our second motorhome and I have come to the conclusion that if you dont have any DIY skills then you probably would be better off doing motels.. Even after warranty is up something will always break and we just cant afford a guy for that.. Our neighbor believes there is a guy for everything..
Ditto RVNut
Some folks can't screw in a light bulb without assistance.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:50 AM   #13

I agree with the posts about having to be able to fix some things yourself. I have a Sunseeker and am pretty happy with the quality, but there’s always something that needs fixing or adjusting. I talked to a guy at a campground one time that called it his doll house because everything is so fragile. Everything is so light weight for travel that it is kind of like a doll house. I do know people with 1/2 million dollar motorhomes that seem to be in for work more often than they use them.
carol108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Ditto RVNut
Some folks can't screw in a light bulb without assistance.
Doesn't that take 3 people?
One to hold the bulb and the other two to turn the chair?
Duneit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:31 AM   #15

Steve Schneider
Just wanted to show you this picture of one of the high quality and expensive motorhomes on the market today.
This Newmar may be in the million dollar range.
You think the owner has a bit of a problem getting something fixed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Lemon 1.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	356.6 KB
ID:	183814  
Old 08-20-2018, 09:51 AM   #16

Competition from overseas was the biggest factor in improving car quality. I'm not sure that will ever happen in the RV industry. There are some companies out there that seem to put quality up front, but it'll cost you. For a example, a Lance trailer similar to my Salem 232RBXL goes for TWICE what I paid. We love our camper and since I like to tinker, I'm OK with the issues.

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneikeys View Post
I have a 2016 Georgetown and are having way too many Quality Controll issues. My steps pop out while driving for no reason. My wood trim around the slide out is cracking. The sliding door in the back to the bedroom track has broken and the rails have come loose as well making that door not functional at all. For the amount I paid for this RV I am Appalled at the lack of quality of materials used and broken and defective equipment!!! I called the dealer where I purchased it from and was told there was only a 1 year warranty and will not be covered I was floored!!! What can you do to fix these issues? THIS IS COMPLETELY INEXCUSABLE!!!
I feel your pain but there is nothing to do except play Mr. Fixit.

The stairs should NOT be coming out. I also have a 2016 and there is a safety that engages and pulls in the steps when the ignition is turned. I suspect that the 12 volt wire form the motor controller to the switched ignition wire is disconnected.
Modmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modmike View Post
I feel your pain but there is nothing to do except play Mr. Fixit.

The stairs should NOT be coming out. I also have a 2016 and there is a safety that engages and pulls in the steps when the ignition is turned. I suspect that the 12 volt wire form the motor controller to the switched ignition wire is disconnected.
I too experienced my steps coming out while driving. My solution was to cut the red wire that leads to the motor and put in a switch. Now when the switch is off the stairs will not move. My problem was that the screen door would rattle during transit and the magnet would move from the switch on the door frame.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:05 PM   #19

Yes but a properly installed unit would not move regardless of magnet when ignition is on. When my steps are out and even if stair switch is in locked position, starting the engine pulls in the steps.
Modmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:09 PM   #20

Actually I disagree. The stairs come in automatically when you start the engine, but if you open the door with the engine still running the stairs go out....

Tags
georgetown, quality